Starting A New Saltwater Tank. Documenting The Process

Paradox Owl

So, as some may remember I came across a "freshwater flounder". I gave him up to a good home. My boyfriend however liked him so, we got a Freshwater flounder that should stay 3 inches, and decided to do a brackish tank. That's where the fun starts.

Turns out the salinity the Flounder will need is literally a step below full blown salt, so we decided to start a "Nano" tank. Normally they are 10g or less yes, but, 20g is close enough.

I have a great highly experienced saltwater supplier who's also a personal friend who's going to help me every step of the way.

Slim Jim (the flounder) is thankfully right now freshwater, and I've just started to ease him into salt. I'm doing water changes while adding little amount of salt to transition him to salt. (25% water change to 1/2 cup of salt)

My plan is to get a low light coral, which will more than thrive in my lighting, some live rock, and hopefully a Black Ice Clown Fish ($90 is quit hefty but they are lovely).

Right now the tank is bare, except for Slim Jim and the live sand. Here's a photo:

035_zps7ff4e1d7.jpg

And here's Slim Jim. As you can see from the above photo he's really tiny. This is an extreme close up

10155224_10152297813091544_1021666893585

I'll post more as soon as I move along.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol Wow now thats a cool idea. Never though of keeping a Flounder :o

I never honestly thought of keeping SW either but, there ya have it ^.^

The flounder is rather nifty. He? likes frozen bloodworms (yuck) and it's rather funny when it buries itself. All you see are two weensy eye poking up. I like him.

• Admin

:lol Wow now thats a cool idea. Never though of keeping a Flounder :o

I never honestly thought of keeping SW either but, there ya have it ^.^

The flounder is rather nifty. He? likes frozen bloodworms (yuck) and it's rather funny when it buries itself. All you see are two weensy eye poking up. I like him.

get a video :)

I will not be able to catch him eating, as he needs to eat when all the light are off. Kinda frustrating but, there it is.

What I am trying to catch is a video of him swimming, I don't mean swimming along the bottom. He sometimes swims up the middle of the tank. It's the funniest thing and I've only caught him once at it.

Oh yeah, he also changes colors! Sometimes he's almost all white. Sometimes big black spots and white. Others he'll be more dalmatian spotted. I'll see if I can grab more pics of him.

Just for fun, here's the tank in full view. See how teeny Slim Jim is?

10174798_10152327924286544_8210971112530

10320609_10152327924186544_9152615710489

So, now because he started as a freshwater fish (they hatch in fresh and move to an estuary) I have to acclimate him which is actually going faster and better than I could ever hope!

My research yielded that I should add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt for every gallon every day (dilute the salt in water first). This work well with doing teeny 1/2 gallon water changes to get left over food. He has responded VERY well to the salt! He eats more and is more active now that it's being added,

My next step should come over the next week. I am going to be adding live rock which will only help add Beneficial Bacteria to the tank.

I've even found 3 fish that I would like but I can only pick two of the 3 as two will fight. Once I choose I'll keep you all informed.

:clapping: what a peanut :heart what's Slim Jim's adult size?

Love this thread :)

He SHOULD get only 3 inches, but, since we can't exactly determine his species we can only be fairly sure. If he does start to grow bigger than expected, and I sure hope he doesn't, the hospital near where I work has a 300 gallon saltwater tank set up in the children's ward and he can live there.

Ok, so, a fun lesson was just learned.

I bought a snail for the new Saltwater tank because I'm having some algae issues.

Now, with a freshwater snail, you can just toss them in and they are good (or so I've been told and have seen from experience).

Now, having not been guided properly by a chain pet store, I may have inadvertently killed me new Turbo Snail. They neglected to tell me you have to slowly acclimate them so the salinity matches. He was alive last night. This morning he is mostly, some of his body is poking out (but I've seen snails do that before), holed up in his shell. I can't pull the trap door so, he should be alive.

I feel bad this happened but my personal saltwater expert is helping me try to save his life. I'll post pics and keep you guys posted.

This is however, a good bit of information to have learned.

• Supporter

Sorry you learned this the hard way but thankyou for giving your experience with it im sure it will help people. :)

Good luck with the little guy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ok, so both sand sifting Star Fish and snail died. Hard lesson learned and I feel terrible.

On the upside, I have managed to raise the salinity to 1.020 over the course of a couple weeks. Since the Flounder (in the wild) would swim from a stream to an estuary it didn't affect it too much to have it raised so quickly. Slim Jim has been thriving since I've started adding salt (10 teaspoons a day).

Next week or so, I'm gonna add some live rock and maybe some live sand. This will help with the bacteria growth, along with the ceramic bi-rings.