TREATMENT FOR HOLE IN THE HEAD/WEN Disease

koko

Mike,

Metronidazole should be effective against hexamita, no matter what the manifestation, or species of fish.

As I have said before in other threads, the treatment obviously seemed to have worked very well for many fish with wen ulcers, and so it is definitely worth trying. It will be something that I am keen to suggest to others in the future.

My only criticism is that we actually don't know it's hexamita. It could be, and it would be nice for people with microscopes to delve into this more, to establish that link.

Nevertheless, with the kinds of numbers of affected fish and how many were cured, this is a very promising treatment. Certainly, it's better than anything Jess and I have tried, and I am glad we may finally have a good and reliable way to treat this horrendous problem, which in many ways is more insidious than dropsy. :)

• 1 month later...

So, is it necessary to use Nitrofurazone Green or is plain Nitrofurazone powder effective as well?

In the video it was suggested to Cynthia to use Nitrofurazone but she didn't have this med at the time so she used NItrofuracin Green (powder) instead, along with 100% Metronidazole MS. She had success with these two meds. Follow directions on the meds. The Nitrofuracin Green can only be purchased at National Fish Pharmaceuticals (NFP) on line. Unfortunately the S&H is expensive but so worth having on hand.

I've also learned from Cynthia to use these two meds as a preventative treatment for hole in the head/wen. My fish have had a treatment last year and are going through one right now because the weather is warming up.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Metro is available through Helen, but what about the other medication? Is that available in Australia?

I don't think so, unless you can get it from your vet.

So, is it necessary to use Nitrofurazone Green or is plain Nitrofurazone powder effective as well?

In the video it was suggested to Cynthia to use Nitrofurazone but she didn't have this med at the time so she used NItrofuracin Green (powder) instead, along with 100% Metronidazole MS. She had success with these two meds. Follow directions on the meds. The Nitrofuracin Green can only be purchased at National Fish Pharmaceuticals (NFP) on line. Unfortunately the S&H is expensive but so worth having on hand.

I've also learned from Cynthia to use these two meds as a preventative treatment for hole in the head/wen. My fish have had a treatment last year and are going through one right now because the weather is warming up.

shipping is outrageous through NFP (they wanted almost 20.00 for standard shipping and 'handling')

cheaper on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitrofuracin-Green-Fish-Medication-Methylene-Blue-Furan-/121226051979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c39a2c18b