Mikey

Floating Issues

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20-25ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8, kH= 100, gH=70ish?
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.5 kH=20ppm gH= 70 ish?
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops API
  • * Water temperature? 73-74 degrees.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 Gallons 4.5 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SUNSUN 525 GPH canister 9 watt UV sterilizer built in and Aquaclear 70 300GPH
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 90-100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7 days ago
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6. ranging with tail, 2.5-7 inches. (300 grams of total fish weight)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead (Puff and Koko float), Omega one (haven't fed that in a while so I'll see if they float on it), Pro gold (we really good on this and suddenly started floating on it), Repashy (no floating) bloodworms and brine shrimp (no floating), peas (no floating). NLS (a little floaty)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 3 of the 6 have had dropsy. I recently did 3 rounds of prazi pro without salt dips or salt.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? some dots on Kokos tail, and Puff had a cut on her chin. It appears to be healing though, as I can't see it today.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Both bottom sitting after being fasted for 2 days and now only minor bottom sitting.

Koko has always had swim bladder issues since I first took him home. He is now floating and can;t really control himself after some foods. Puff always had a good swim bladder and just floats after eating. I think they all gulp at the top when there is no food left in the tank. Could they still want more and then cause themselves to float because of doing this? My other fish don't float (except for Chubba, but she is the dropsy fish and has had a bad swim bladder for a long time now). Advice would be awesome. Pictures to come soon.

The dots: DSC_0045_zpsce780c3d.jpg

DSC_0038_zps6ce27f85.jpg

DSC_0039_zps1d1ccd56.jpg

DSC_0041_zps22c21139.jpg

DSC_0048_zpsf33739f5.jpg

DSC_0052_zps042f7115.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsd88b79cc.jpg

Sorry about Koko and Puff's floatiness. They are adorable! Healing vibes to them!

Thank you :)

Oh! I also soak their food for a minute or two.

Sorry about your fish Mikey.

Have you tried making any gel food for them...not the repashey, but from scratch?

I like to mess around with the ingredients and see what works.

(http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/)

I have mentioned it a few times before, but one of mine is a floater on everything, regardless of how much I soak the pellets.

Even the gel food I make sometimes causes slight floating, but only for a little while.

I control it by keeping the feeding amounts really low.

This seems to be the best option for me.

Hope you can figure out what works for you :)

Sorry hun. I know it's so frustrating - and Kite isn't even that bad but I feel such a pang when I see her going slightly vertical.

I hope you find something that works. Perhaps stick with wet foods for now? Bloodworms, red leaf lettuce, whatever gel foods work.

Mikey, why don't you contact Sue and ask her to lend you some help in this thread? Tell her that Helen and I request her help here, if she can. :)

Got your PM Mikey.... :) Its been quite a while since Ive helped out but I can sure try to give any advice i might have... Ive had many many floaty fish. Some, like the one you have that had dropsy, floated no matter what. I tried everything. Peas, gel food, medicated foods, frozen foods, a billion different brands of food including Saki Hikari, Pro Gold and Hikari Lionhead. For some if the fish, I eventually just had to realize that there wasn't going to be a cure. And I put those fish in separate tanks from the fish that didnt float, and feed them only food that floated to the top so that they could wiggle around the top and eat it. I tried to keep them away from fish that swam around well, because those fish would eat all the food and the floaters would have trouble getting to it. I realize separate tanks is not always an option though, but perhaps a divider might be? Ive also noticed some fish just end up being sinkers. For whatever reason they sink and never get back up. In my 6+ years of fish keeping I have not figured out what exactly causes some to float, while others sink. Right now I have two sinkers. No matter what, they dont get off the bottom. They still are active and scurry around for food, so I feed them only sinking food and they have been doing this since, lets see, October 2012? As for the rest of my fish, i do have some that get floaty after they eat. They seem to do best with Hikari Lionhead as their main pellet food. Ive basically stopped giving any food that floats naturally to discourage them from gulping at the top. I only give sinking foods, like lionhead, certain frozen foods, peas. Gel food works wonders for some people, but I never had success with it unfortunatly. I found that limiting their feedings has really helped. I used to feed my fish twice a day. I now feed my fish once every OTHER day. I know that seems like a small amount. But its enough that they stay healthy and are not losing weight, but it also gives their sensitive swim bladders a rest. I might do Lionhead on Monday, then they will get a bit floaty for a few hours, but them fast them Tues and so they have a break between floaty periods. Then maybe do peas on Wed, and skip Thursday. I know a lot of people probably are thinking "are you crazy?! They are not getting enough food!" But if you take a look at them i assure you they are! :) Some people do the opposite approach, which is small feedings multiple times every day. That never worked for me personally. I know it works for others though. For me, that just kept my fish constantly floating. I feel like my way gives them enough nutrition (we all know Goldies can go a long time without food) but it gives my floaty fish a break from floating... They basically spend 2-3 hours floating after a meal, but the other 45 hours swimming around happily. One of the tanks actually has one sinker and two that float after being fed. The two that float after being fed usually come down after a couple hours then spend the rest of the time chasing one another. I know one is male and one is female and I have had eggs many times. "They" say only healthy goldfish spawn. So i am assuming that the feeding schedule I do isnt harming them at all. Anyway, thats what works for me. But I also think each fish is different. Some fish float with high nitrates. Though yours are not that high. But some fish will float with even low nitrates. Some fish float on gel foods while others do great on gel food. I wish it was a simple answer, but for me it was a matter of watching each fish, and getting to know what worked for them individually. I would hate to tell you to start feeding your fish every other day like I do and have that not work for you. Thats just what has worked best for me and is something you could try. When I give them Lionhead I typically give approx 1/4 level tsp per fish. Oh as for fish who have dropsied or are dropsied, epsom salts can be helpful, but i forget the dose. Its been a long time since I used that. I was also going to suggest prazi because in the past that has helped some of my floaters. But I see you have done prazi that recently. For dropsied fish I ALWAYS use MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection. For me personally it has had a wonderful success rate in helping dropsied fish recover and stay alive longer. I always try to keep a fresh unopened bag on hand just in case, so that I can feed it at the first sign of dropsy. That and water changes kept one of my fish that had terrible dropsy alive for four years.

Well, I hope some of that helped. Again, its been a while since I helped others. Ive mainly just been caring for my own fish for the past 3 years or so. So if I missed anything, or gave any information that the moderating team is not comfortable with, please feel free to correct me! I wont be insulted at all! :) Mikey I really hope your fish do well and get better. It sounds like you treat them well and are giving them excellent care.

P.S. Helen & Dan you tricky little.... well I will leave it blank. Lol Don't think I dont know your plan here! Trying to lure me back in to helping a bit because you know I cant resist trying to help out someone in need! Lol You two are trying to keep me around here aren't you? Hahahah. Love you guys! Lol

Edited by CountryLovah

Oops I wrote Dan and Helen. I meant Alex and Helen! :)

Thanks for the reply, Sue!! :hug

My dropsy fish is dropsied again and is on metro meds as I type. :teehee and the dose of Epsom can vary depending on how bloated the fish is. The general dose, though, is 1/4 tsp. :)

My fish seem to gulp at the top after feeding. Could this be the issue as to why they are floating? Puff and Koko donut more than the others and float. The others are perfectly fine when the two aren't floating, they bottom sit together in the front left corner of the tank. :idont Puff isn't bottom sitting as much now, but Koko is.

As for setting up more tanks, I would love too, but my mom doesn't want anymore tanks set up period. :(.

I have an idea!! What if I record a video of me feeding them? :) then we can see if it is that gulping at the top makes them float. :)

P.S. You should become a helper or mod again :D

Edited by Mikey

I think puff might be constipated. She had bubbles in her poop and it didn't look right. It was clear?

Edited by Mikey

Hope they feel better,Mikey.

Mikey, have you stopped the Pro Gold entirely? Do you have a set and regular diet? If so, can you post it?

Edited by jmetzger72

I did stop it. And no, I don't have a set diet at all. I just feed :rofl

As my fish got older and larger, some of them started getting floaty on Pro Gold. So, I stopped feeding it.

Maybe try sticking to a very rigid and regular feeding routine. This seems to help my fishes' digestion. The other thing I do is to offer them a veggie meal in between their protein meals. Currently, I am using Repashy Super Green for this, but Red Leaf lettuce worked as well. Here is my daily menu:

AM = Sinking Pellets (a blend of 1mm NLS and Omega One)

Mid = Repashy Super Green

PM = Hikari Lionhead or Frozen Bloodworms (on alternate days)

This has really worked for my fish. I don't have any floaters anymore and I don't need to pre-soak pellets, fast or feed peas, either. Obviously, everyone's fish are different. But, considering I did have some floaters before trying this, I think there is some merit to this plan :)

I'll try it :)! Doesn't it take about 21 days to get into a routine? I'll just need to remember to donut and hopefully it will stick :). I'll need to make repashy more. Lol

So far the only floating and bottom sitting I saw today were this morning! :D

I hope Merlin gets big and fat like all of your fish on this new feeding schedule Jared. :rofl3

Edited by Mikey

Im so glad you had better luck today! Perhaps jared's feeding schedule is exactly what your fish need :) I really hope your dropsied fish gets better. Is he still eating the MM? Is he still active and swimming around? If so those are great things!! Water changes are very important for dropsied fish too! But it sounds like you are doing them! :)

As for being a helper or mod, awwww thats so sweet! But honestly, Im so rusty on some of the essentials. I used to know this stuff by heart. What meds worked best for what. Dosages, etc. Plus to be a helper or mod you have to really have time to commit to the board. Koko needs people she can rely on to be active often, and I was no longer able to offer that, which is why I am back to full member. When koko originally made me a moderator it was something I was soooooo proud of! :) It was an honor! :) But because of personal issues, I was no longer able to commit to to all the responsibility of a mod/helper! But i appreciate the compliment and if there is anything else I can do to help let me know! :) Good luck with all your fish Mikey! :)

I think I need to following too :)

Yup, I have had sooooo many dropsy cases. I know treatment by heart now :rofl. I unfortunately couldn't QT her, so I put her in a colander in my tank and I am feeding MM 3 times a day. Today was the end of day one and she already is better. I can't see anymore raised scales :nana she has always been my problem fish and has dropsied numerous times. I've had her for 2 years and 3 months. :). She will not grow though, she is always 14-15 grams when I weigh her. :idont she is very much active :teehee I'm used to catching her dropsy and can do it Farley easily. When she looks fatter than usual (easy to tell) into the colander for observation. :) she's always red though, I don't think she has much pigment :idont

Okay! So the only floater for now is Puff. I just think she's blocked up a little though. After a couple days on this diet with the repashy/peas once a day, I think things will start moving again and this will go away :) my other fish are starting to look a little chunkier!! :happydance :happydance this diet is working nicely!! I am so happy I am finally following something :D I need to workout how much to feed each feeding though. I think I may be over feeding. They eat it in about 1-2 minutes what I throw in. Is that good?

Edited by Mikey

Okay! So the only floater for now is Puff. I just think she's blocked up a little though. After a couple days on this diet with the repashy/peas once a day, I think things will start moving again and this will go away :) my other fish are starting to look a little chunkier!! :happydance :happydance this diet is working nicely!! I am so happy I am finally following something :D I need to workout how much to feed each feeding though. I think I may be over feeding. They eat it in about 1-2 minutes what I throw in. Is that good?

Glad they are better. Try to stick with the Repashy rather than the peas. If they are eating it in 1-2 minutes and are not having problems, then you are probably feeding the right amount. Make sure that the Repashy is the second meal and between the pellet meals. If they get floaty reduce the portions and cut the Repashy into smaller pieces.

Yes, I didn't have time to make it today :peeka my mom had clients coming over and the house couldn't smell :rofl3

Should they eat the repashy in 1-2 minutes too, or let them just graze on it? Can you make a video on how you make it and cut it of possible? That would be awesome :)

Here is a video:

For storing, I suggest laying the cut up pieces on a plate so they are not touching each other. Cover it with Saran Wrap or foil, put in freezer. Then when frozen put the pieces in a storage container and store in freezer for up to six months. Take out at least an hour before the food you need. Any unused potions can be stored in refrigerator for two weeks, although I just take out what I need for the next two days.

I usually make a batch, slice it in to small sections and put them into these tiny snack-size tupperware containers. Then, I just freeze the containers and take one out each Sunday to thaw in the refrigerator for the coming week. This way, I only have to make it once every couple of months.

When feeding, I cut into tiny bite size pieces. I don't feed them a lot of it. And, I don't let my fatties "graze" on anything :rofl

I will try to get some pics at lunch today :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Here's the slice in the little container:

IMG_20140429_134550_139-1.jpg

Cut a thin piece:

IMG_20140429_134620_902-1.jpg

Chop into bites:

IMG_20140429_134725_170-1.jpg