Plants for my cycling tank

TikiLola

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the anubias. :hummm They are too big for the rocks I got for them. :o

Don't know if I like the plants in the back, already thinking of something else, :teehee but want to get the anubias decided first. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here goes....

40B044_zps16ae651c.jpg

Those are some happy anubias! Can you split them up into smaller plants and then attach them to rocks you got?

Edited by LisaCGold

Lovely anubias! :D

You can actually just float them indefinitely. That said, if you intend on tying them down later, it can be more difficult. When you float them they put roots and new growth out in all directions.

Lovely anubias! :D

You can actually just float them indefinitely. That said, if you intend on tying them down later, it can be more difficult. When you float them they put roots and new growth out in all directions.

Good to know! I might do that with one of them, if I could keep the top open. :teehee

Those plants in the white bins are anubias?!?! They look HUGE!!

Yes, Anubiaa Barteri Nana Var. Nana Mother Plants from Planted Aquarium Central! :greenbanana::nana:redbanana::carrot::panana

They were bigger than expected and all of them have flowers/buds(they look like the 'flowers' on peace lillies)

If these monsters don't survive, I am definitely giving up on anubias! :glare:

40B012_zps35346545.jpg

Yes, Anubiaa Barteri Nana Var. Nana Mother Plants from Planted Aquarium Central! :greenbanana::nana:redbanana::carrot::panana

They were bigger than expected and all of them have flowers/buds(they look like the 'flowers' on peace lillies)

40B012_zps35346545.jpg

I'm so jealous! They're stunning! I wish that I could find them so large, without ordering online.

Have you been to All Aquatics? They sell broken pieces of slate (I think), and those would give you some sinking power for those monster plants.

40B012_zps35346545.jpg

I'm so jealous! They're stunning! I wish that I could find them so large, without ordering online.

Have you been to All Aquatics? They sell broken pieces of slate (I think), and those would give you some sinking power for those monster plants.

Never heard of them, I'll go look them up now. Thanks!

Those are beautiful plants.

I'm still afraid of live plants....I worry I'd just spend hundreds of more hours trying to make sure their conditions were right on top of what I do with my two goldfish! It amazes me how much time I can spend reading this forum :) :) :)

Those are beautiful plants.

I'm still afraid of live plants....I worry I'd just spend hundreds of more hours trying to make sure their conditions were right on top of what I do with my two goldfish! It amazes me how much time I can spend reading this forum :) :) :)

Splurge on *one* nice anubias. When you see it sprout a new leaf, it really gives you the confidence that you can do it! All it takes is one plant to change your whole world. ;)

I Just bought one! Not sure if I'm :huh: or :happydance

It is a Anubias Nana.

Do I dip it in a 1 to 19% bleach solution and let it sit in some tank water for a week or so?

Also, how do I glue it to a rock?

The plant was in addition to the reason I went to the store - Got an

Aquaclear 70!! I am :happydance about that!!!

Edited by lldykstra

I Just bought one! Not sure if I'm :huh: or :happydance

It is a Anubias Nana.

Do I dip it in a 1 to 19% bleach solution and let it sit in some tank water for a week or so?

Also, how do I glue it to a rock?

The plant was in addition to the reason I went to the store - Got an

Aquaclear 70!! I am :happydance about that!!!

Dip in 1 part water 19 parts bleach for 1 minute. Then put in water that has prime in it to get of residual chlorine. I let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then it is ready.

I use plain old super glue to attach it to a rock. Before I do that I cut away excess roots (but not all). I found that trimming the roots before attaching to rocks really helps--makes it easier to attach to a rock and new roots happily grow.

Have a good time with your new plant!!! We have lots of wonderful aquatic plant people on this forum and they can help when/if you have problems.

Edited by LisaCGold

Dip in 1 part water 19 parts bleach for 1 minute. Then put in water that has prime in it to get of residual chlorine. I let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then it is ready.

That's a lot of bleach. I'm afraid you've reversed the ratio. It should be 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

I'm a bit dyslexic so it made sense to me!! :)

Make a thread and spam us with pictures! Plants are so much fun!

This is the superglue that I use, and it can be purchased almost anywhere. :)

e1400240-516f-44b2-8803-ae64f4484e41_300

That's a lot of bleach. I'm afraid you've reversed the ratio. It should be 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

Yikes! Thank you so much for correcting me here!

Wow, that is gorgeous! What a great idea to superglue the root to a rock .... I never would have thought of that!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk