Mystery snail hatched!

*Amanda*

Hi everyone,

Mario (my boyfriend) just texted me to let me know that he saw a baby snail walking around in the mesh breeder!! I am very excited. He said the little guy/girl is very fast and that the rest of the eggs still have yet to hatch, but they look like they're about to.

Now the question is what to feed them. I have plenty of Soilent Green. Can I just put a small piece in there (and of course remove what isn't eaten later so it doesn't go bad)? My adult snails love Soilent Green and I think that's what caused them to breed in the first place - and grow; they never lived long or seemed healthy until I started feeding it. How soon should I feed? The snail just hatched today.

Also, depending on how many snails I get, I have a 20 gallon tank that could be used to house them. Is there any sort of water level requirement for baby snails like there is with baby goldfish?

Thanks!

Amanda

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The first few days they will eat the egg shells from which they hatched. It has a high amount of calcium and helps their shells harden up :) Once the egg shells are mostly gone I give mine blanched spinach. You could do SG, mine eat it but are not nearly as interested in it as they are with spinach.

Thanks guys! I will get to see them tonight and will send pics ... so excited! Would a 20 gallon be ok to house them in, or is it necessary to lower the water level?

From what I know a 20g should be fine (Daniel E. can confirm). But from what I've read just make sure you spread the food out across the bottom to make sure they don't have to crawl too far for food.

In addition to applesnail.net this has been my second most important resource for snails:

http://snailhobbyist.blogspot.ca/p/part-1-a.html

She (I assume) has a nice section on eggs and raising babies.

• Supporter

I had 500+ in a 15 gal for a while. Great when baby babies but not for long lol. I have what I have left in the 40B right now growing so I can sell for more. But a 20 gal should be great for you for atleast a good long while depending on how many babies you have. I would recommend putting prefilters over your intakes if you dont want to lose any. I thought mine was fine now in size for my sunsun canister but I just lost 20-30 snails to it. :(

I wish you the best of luck. Those sites that was listed in BronwynH's post are great sources of info. Also if you want to chat about them or have a question you can PM me and ill try my best to help.

Pics! http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/ciccastars/20140426_211404_zps5159be42.jpg

I moved them to my 20 gallon today. There were 3. There are a few more that somehow got into the main tank and are on the glass; they look like they're still using up their yolk sacs.

Those little guys are super cute! I wonder if there was an extra egg sac somewhere that you have extra snails in the main tank?

Now that I have my own clutch of eggs I will definitely be following your post very carefully :)

I checked and could not find another clutch. The clutch I got was very small. I broke it in half as recommended to help release the eggs inside; hopefully more will come out.

The only thing I wish I had was a tank smaller than a 20 gallon to house the snails. I am worried that the tank will get very dirty in the next few weeks because of uneaten food (even though I'm feeding very little); I am afraid to vacuum the bottom since the snails are so tiny. It would have been much easier if I had a 2.5 gallon rectangular tank, IMO. I might go pick one up but at this time, I am unable to remove the snails from the 20 gallon because they are just too tiny and I don't want to hurt them.

I checked and could not find another clutch. The clutch I got was very small. I broke it in half as recommended to help release the eggs inside; hopefully more will come out.

The only thing I wish I had was a tank smaller than a 20 gallon to house the snails. I am worried that the tank will get very dirty in the next few weeks because of uneaten food (even though I'm feeding very little); I am afraid to vacuum the bottom since the snails are so tiny. It would have been much easier if I had a 2.5 gallon rectangular tank, IMO. I might go pick one up but at this time, I am unable to remove the snails from the 20 gallon because they are just too tiny and I don't want to hurt them.

I've been debating using increasingly large tupperware containers until they get to tank size. (I have some pretty giant tupperware from my mother). Do you think this might work Amanda?

I've been debating using increasingly large tupperware containers until they get to tank size. (I have some pretty giant tupperware from my mother). Do you think this might work Amanda?

Yes, as long as you keep it covered to prevent them from getting out. You could do the bucket to bucket method so that the water stays fresh. That sounds like a great way to keep a better eye on them. Also, the snails have a hard time finding food in such a large tank, which is another reason why I think smaller containers would be better.

Yes, as long as you keep it covered to prevent them from getting out. You could do the bucket to bucket method so that the water stays fresh. That sounds like a great way to keep a better eye on them. Also, the snails have a hard time finding food in such a large tank, which is another reason why I think smaller containers would be better.

This is more or less what I was thinking. :) So glad you agree!

Here is a photo of the snails! I don't know why, but the rest of the eggs are not hatching and are almost dried out. :-( I tried breaking the clutch but still no snails came out. Here are the 3 I have; two have grown quite a bit but one is still tiny:

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/ciccastars/2014-05-04125428_zps79a558c0.png