Tank not cycling after a month?

The reason why I recommended no salt is that some people have reported seeing goldfish fins beginning to fray, and showing signs remarkably like external parasitism (flicking, yawning, clamping) after a long period of salt exposure. So, our best bet is to reset the situation first, so that we can see what happens when there is no treatment in the tank.

But I have no idea what my kH is so I'm not sure how to read the table, and I'm not buying another test kit now. Maybe a pet store could measure it for me? I could also add some crushed coral.

I recommend you begin treatment as soon as the prazi arrives.

This is possible, and there will be a few days without salt/anything in it so that we can see what happens. :)

But I have no idea what my kH is so I'm not sure how to read the table, and I'm not buying another test kit now. Maybe a pet store could measure it for me? I could also add some crushed coral.

You can find out what your kH is by accessing your water utility's online water report, or you can give them a call and ask. kH is also referred to as carbonate hardness/alkalinity

Ok I'm getting the salt and Melafix out, and I'll begin Prazipro when it comes in this week. Should I do the 5 day or 7 day schedule?

I did a 50% water change today, and I'll do another one tomorrow. Is that too fast for removing the salt? The pH out of the tap is around 7.0 to 7.2. I'm not sure what caused the drop, so I want to figure out how much sodium bicarbonate to add.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Ok I'm getting the salt and Melafix out, and I'll begin Prazipro when it comes in this week. Should I do the 5 day or 7 day schedule?

I did a 50% water change today, and I'll do another one tomorrow. Is that too fast for removing the salt? The pH out of the tap is around 7.0 to 7.2. I'm not sure what caused the drop, so I want to figure out how much sodium bicarbonate to add.

Thank you all so much for your help!

It's not too fast. :)

I prefer the 7 day schedule. The 5 day schedule is sufficient, but also not necessary. :)

Find out your kH. It will be so much easier once you have the actual number.

Ok I'll try to find out the kH values this week. I really need to know this for the goldfish and because I plan on setting up my saltwater tank again in the near future. My friend has a reef tank and he mentioned this value to me before.

Ok I'll try to find out the kH values this week. I really need to know this for the goldfish and because I plan on setting up my saltwater tank again in the near future. My friend has a reef tank and he mentioned this value to me before.

I agree this is an important number to know, no matter what fish.

I feel bad about the salt. There are so many conflicting articles on its use in goldfish. I was really trying to help his finrot and bloody tail, not make it worse. The tail does not have any tears or splits, but it has been frayed at the edges the past few days, along with the odd blood stains at the base.

I feel bad about the salt. There are so many conflicting articles on its use in goldfish. I was really trying to help his finrot and bloody tail, not make it worse. The tail does not have any tears or splits, but it has been frayed at the edges the past few days, along with the odd blood stains at the base.

Please don't feel bad about it. I also did not try to suggest that it's the salt that could be causing the problem.

What I was trying to say is that with the system being the way it is, firstly it's not entirely possible that it's parasites, or something else, or a combination. Secondly, salt, as others have said, is good to use in short bursts and not necessary to be maintained permanently. So, for those reasons, let us take out the salt, because doing so will help us get a better idea of what to do for the fish. :)

Don't blame yourself. As with any pet, there will be problems at times, and we try to help them as best as we can. :)

I just found another article stating that our area typically has soft water with 0-60 ppm of mineral hardness, but I need more info. I guess I should keep tetras or angels! Lol

I just found another article stating that our area typically has soft water with 0-60 ppm of mineral hardness, but I need more info. I guess I should keep tetras or angels! Lol

haha it's actually very easy to boost the kH, so it's not a huge deal :)