More Ranchu probs :( tail issue now

ahardeay

Params tap and tank

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

0 nitrtate

7.6 pH

I am posting because clean water and salt has not worked. He is in a cycled 29 gallon tank with the other small black ranchu I got months ago. This is not the pair left from the recent black ranchu drama, this is the pair I bought in Sacramento and QTed a little over a month and a half now. I have been changing the water every 2nd day and I have the salt now up to.4% 4tsp/gal, because there has been no change with the lower amounts. The fish acts completely normal, eating, swimming, being active. He has gone through 5 rounds of prazi as well. Should I use antibiotics? Melafix? Do a dip of some kind? I haven't dealt with fin issues before. If I missed anything let me know and I'll get the info on here ASAP.

fishthings030.jpg

fishthings031.jpg

fishthings033.jpg

I would remove the salt and try the Melafix first. If you don't see improvement after a few days or it gets worse, I would consider antibiotics.

Hi Jared,

Those are very good suggestions. The only concern I have is that having seen this type of finrot before, you want to go in really fast with something strong in the water, because the fins will get eaten away really fast. :o:(

Do you have something that you could try, Allison?

I would remove the salt and try the Melafix first. If you don't see improvement after a few days or it gets worse, I would consider antibiotics.

Hi Jared,

Those are very good suggestions. The only concern I have is that having seen this type of finrot before, you want to go in really fast with something strong in the water, because the fins will get eaten away really fast. :o:(

Do you have something that you could try, Allison?

Okay, then I would go right to an antibiotic :)

Edited by jmetzger72

I have pretty much anything after dealing with the other fish? What would you recommend?

PS - forgot to mention this fish has already been in my tetra parasite guard cocktail because he was with the black ranchu that had the weird raised scales (which is 100% better)

Parasite Guard cocktail: metro, acriflavine, prazi mix.

Soooo Should I go for gram neg bacteria?

I have kana, and bifuran(I dont love using this stuff)

I just used acriflavine though for a week. I should use it again? Sorry just clarifying :)

No, I'm glad you did!

In some ways, I prefer the furan, but I understand that you don't like it. I would then choose kana. It's up to you though. :)

Ok, I just don't like the bifuran because of the cancer warning, but I might use it. Is it effective as a dip? Or do I need to dose the whole tank? My QT is still occupied :( I would move the other fish to my 75 gal temporarily but wouldn't want to because I am afraid of giving them an issue too.

Alli, I know they were separated but this is exactly what happened to my pearlscales.

The mehythline blue dip for 30 mins helped my most sick fish that same night, no more tail loss. 1tsp/5 gal for 30 minutes. Its very gentle.

I vote for kanaplex too.

Edited by GreenTea

I did the 30 min methylene blue dip, no problems with that, he did it like a pro. Now I have kana in the water. The tail doesn't have stringy white stuff anymore which I assume is a good thing. He is still acting normal and no other issues than the tail.

Yeah it helped mine with the slime coat issues and stopped tail disintegration immediately. I hope it works for you too. They are safe to do 2x a day although I have only been doing it once a day.

I think it's good that you started.

I almost don't care which med you use (both should be fine), but it was important to start it right away. This one for sure won't just recover on its own. :/

Hang in there! :)