Question about boiling driftwood

number20121

My new piece of wood just came in the mail and as always I want to boil it.

This piece is screwed onto a piece of slate though with what I assume is a stainless steel screw.

Now the dumb question of the day:

Boiling the piece of slate along with the wood will not do any harm to either the wood or the slate, right? Maybe scratch the pot up a bit if I'm not careful, but other than that?

Thanks!

In theory, it shouldn't, but you should ALWAYS be EXTREMELY careful when boiling rock, if there's a pocket of air or other gas in it, it CAN explode since the gas will expand faster than the rock. With slate, I don't think that's very likely, but it IS a possibility, so please be cautious!

In theory, it shouldn't, but you should ALWAYS be EXTREMELY careful when boiling rock, if there's a pocket of air or other gas in it, it CAN explode since the gas will expand faster than the rock. With slate, I don't think that's very likely, but it IS a possibility, so please be cautious!

That is actually really good to know! Thanks!

No problem! I don't want you covered in exploded slate pieces, lol! Oh, and just for future reference, this is true of ANY method by which you make rock hot.... baking in the oven, boiling, etc... including letting a tank heater get too close to it (touching).

No problem! I don't want you covered in exploded slate pieces, lol! Oh, and just for future reference, this is true of ANY method by which you make rock hot.... baking in the oven, boiling, etc... including letting a tank heater get too close to it (touching).

Ooh, good to know about rocks and heaters!

Is there a way of boiling the wood without submerging the rock? Even if a small portion of the wood doesn't get boiled it would be worth avoiding an exploding rock.

I would imagine that depends on the size and shape of both the wood and the rock... If it were possible, I'd try to turn it rock-side-up and kinda use the rock like you would a lid on the pot for boiling... but then, the chances of that being possible probably aren't very good. Personally, I'd just skip the boiling and live with the tank water being tinted for a while from the tannins unless the wood was from an unknown tank and already wet with possible nasties to make my fish sick.