Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Quarantining Otto Cats

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a few otocinclus for my planted tank and was wondering what you did for quarantine? Standard prazi treatment; observed them for a while; something else?

Any input is welcome. :)

Pop them in a cycled QT Tank. Otto are super sensitive to water quality, so a cycled tank is always important. Wait until they are feeding well before you start Prazi, and make sure you aren't salting during treatment.

I'd go a bare minimum 3 rounds of prazi just to be safe. :)

Good luck with your plant's.

I wouldn't prazi them at all. Prazi isn't as affective in tropical fish. Just bring it up to a tropical fish keeper. They laugh. When my new round of Angelfish had flukes I asked an angelfish forum for help. They suggested formilin and a refund.

Just go with super clean water. I had such great success with otos and clean water. I had seven for two years when the stress of the move was too much :(

Thanks, Chelsea and Lori. :)

Just go with super clean water. I had such great success with otos and clean water.

This is what I suspected. It's not the first I've seen this mentioned.

They need a lot of algae/diatoms, Something most people fight back in a planted tank. Supplement them with chunks of cucumber and zucchini. Algae tabs are also appreciated. I like the Zebra otos, pricier and hard to find, but oh so pretty. I agree they don't take to meds easily. Prazipro is pretty mild though. It is used on fry!

Thanks for the information, Carole. I already knew a lot about their wants and needs, but thanks anyway. :)

Oh sorry..lol..Well it might help someone who doesn't ;)

Don't apologise, I hope I didn't come across as disrespectful. It's still greatly appreciated. :)

I am not advocating any sort of treatments, especially since I don't know anything about these fish. However, prazi should be fine for ALL fish, and there is no particular reason why it wouldn't work on these fish either.

Good luck, and have fun! I look forward to seeing them in your tank. :)