Sudden Death?

Jolly

Hi. I know its late and people probably won't see this till tomorrow morning but we are having a bit of a weird emergency. I fed the fish, both were acting totally normal. Walked out of the room and came back to my orange fancy goldfish upside down in the corner about 10 minutes later. He has not shown any signs of distress but now is not responding to anything and has flipped upside down. He is lying in the bottom of the tank on his side. :( We tried a huge water change thinking that maybe something in the water did it, but still no response. If anyone knows anything we can do to revive him, please post. Going to move him to a 10 gallon hospital tank in case something bad is going on to protect the other fish. I'll get tank parameters posted as soon as I have a chance to test the water. So hoping he hasn't just died out of the blue. :(

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) .25 ppm--might be false positive due to freshly added Prime
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 40-50 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) same as tank (sometimes get a 0.25 ppm reading here as well)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.3
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drop Kit
    • * Water temperature? 78 F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 27 gallons (They have been in new tank since April 2013)
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon 50 and Aqueon 70 both running all the time
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? We do at least one 80% change a week, more small ones if we can.
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tonight (early morning 4/22--about 70%)
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish-1 fancy (orange-Atlas), 1 black moor (black-Pbody)
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a night (Repashy Solient green cube (several times a week), Hikari Fancy Goldfish Sinking pellets (2 pinches-soaked before put into the tank)
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
    • * Any medications added to the tank? No
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Both fish were quarantined when we first got them and have had 2 rounds of Prazi--last one was only a month or two ago.
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Atlas is not moving--maybe dead. :( P-body has a strange spot on her eye.

Also...noticed today that P-body has a small cloudy spot on one eye--very slightly cloudy on the top 1/4 of the outer layer. She is swimming and eating and behaving normally. I will post a video as soon as possible. I think Atlas may be gone...we put him in a 10 gallon QT tank but he is still not moving. I just don't understand how he could just die so quick. He was fine. :no: Very sad...I want to make sure that P-body survives this even if Atlas has passed. Any suggestions would be awesome.

I'm so sorry your Atlas is so poorly. I can't offer much help, but wanted to ask is 40-50 NitrAte before or after your 70% water change? Have you tested tap water for nitrAte? Seems so high for weekly large water changes.

Edited by Red

I agree, please test your tap parameters, as well. How often do you vac/clean your substrate?

Can we get some photos, and a video, of the affected fish, please?

Look at the gills of the fish that may have passed. If you don't see any gill movement at all, within five to ten minutes, then he's gone. :(:hug

Hopefully a mod will be along shortly to assist you. Do you have any pics of the cloudy spot on P-body? Watch the gills ... I saw one of my goldies die before my eyes a few months ago and knew he was gone when the gills stopped opening. It was very traumatic. :-(

If you are still unsure, try holding him softly in the palm of your hand at the surface of the water. If he thrashes about, he could have been floating motionless due to a possible swim bladder condition (I've had fish do this that looked very dead, but they were just exhausted from being unable to swim down). If you see no movement at all, he's probably gone. :-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Hey. It has been a long day. Atlas passed last night. :( Very sad about it, but we buried him today. Made sure he was actually dead (no gill movement and he was floating this morning in the QT tank). I just wish I knew what had happened. He was totally fine one second and then dead the next. Any ideas what could cause this? Had a couple good cries last night/today. Going to miss Atlas. P-body keeps looking around for him. :(

Now, I am worried about P-body and hoping that she stays alive. The water doesn't seem worse than usual. The nitrates did seem high last night when I tested them but we did 2 huge water changes and I tested in the middle of all that so the water may have not been "normal". I plan on testing it again in the morning to make sure the numbers look ok and will post them when I do. P-body's eye looks weird still but she is acting ok. I took a quick video tonight--not sure you can see it very well. I'll try to get a better one. Her eye looks like it has a cloudy coating on the top 1/4-1/2 of only one eye. Is there anything we should do?

Thanks for the late night encouragement everyone! Any thoughts on what we should do about P-body's eye or what may have caused Atlas to go would be appreciated.

I agree, please test your tap parameters, as well. How often do you vac/clean your substrate?

Can we get some photos, and a video, of the affected fish, please?

Look at the gills of the fish that may have passed. If you don't see any gill movement at all, within five to ten minutes, then he's gone. :(:hug

I will try to test the water today as soon as I can from the tap and tank. The substrate of the tank is glass marbles spread out--no gravel or anything else, but we vaccuum and move the marbles around during every water change (1-2 times a week) and they move them around all the time as well looking for food.

I'm so sorry, Holly.

How is Peabody? Any strangeness? Poop?

Thanks. P-body is doing ok...swimming around, eating and pooping like normal but her eye seems to be looking worse. It is hard to get a good look at it (I think she can't see out of it so she doesn't like to swim on that side when I'm near the tank). It just looks like a cloudy film over her eye. I don't know if you can see it in the video or not. Should I be worried about it? I will test the water and maybe do another small WC tonight depending on the test results. I figure having good clean water is always the first step. Really hoping that whatever got Atlas won't get her too. :( She seems a bit less active than usual but it may be because there is no other fish in the tank now. Would salt help?

I don't think that there is much we can do about the eye though. We can try a course of MMs, but I really doubt that will do anything. :(

Any idea what causes that? Stress maybe? Bad water?

I tested the water tonight and the nitrates do seem high after two large water changes the other night. (ph: 7.3, Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrites: 0 ppm, Nitrates: 40 ppm--maybe a bit less) Not sure why they are so high. Took anything that could even "think" about being sharp out of the tank in case her eye was an injury. I don't have any MMs. :( Could maybe order some soon if you think it would help if you tell me where I can order them. Doing a 50% water change tonight too to try to get the nitrate levels down. Will test tap levels tomorrow.

Should we add a bit of salt in case it is an injury? Thanks for helping. I can't imagine losing her too! :no:

I have heard its common for black moore's to have eye issues. Just don't know what a cloudy eye means. Is she going blind in that eye? She seems to have some vision left in it at the moment.

What color is the cloud in the eye? My moore has some black coloring on her eye that almost looks like black film or dusting but its normal for her.

It is black on the top of the eye but kind of a more milky white color on the rounded part of her eyeball.

Did you ever get the parameters for your tap water? If you have nitrates in the tap, then that would be the reason why water changes aren't reducing them.

The tap pH, ammonia, and nitrites are all normal (pH is around 7.3 like the tank water, no ammonia, no nitrites). The nitrate test showed 5.0ppm (at the most 10ppm but the color was much closer to the 5.0ppm). Is that high enough that water changes would be causing trouble?

We are getting ready to leave on a trip. I'm going back out west to work a job for a while. Josh will be home with P-body though so he may post more soon to see if he can help her feel better. We will be here tonight though still, so any last minute suggestions/idea would be great. Just wanted to let you know if we didn't answer for a couple days that is why. She is eating fine. She bottom sat a little more than usual today but I think part of that is no other fish in the tank to make her move around. :(

Just re-tested the tank water:

pH: 7.3, Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitites: 0 ppm, Nitrates: 30-40ppm

Going to do a water change and clean all the ornaments and take some of the marbles out of the bottom to be cleaned later--they are building up some algae.