My 20g Keeps Evolving (large photos)

BronwynH

In January I bought a 20g for Nephthys because the boys wouldn't stop harassing her. As it turns out the better division of fish has Peaches and Aten in the 20g as they are the most driven males and in Nephthys' absence they started picking on the less dominant males. They live there with Jaques and Hathor the apple snails and will stay there until either the water params become unmanageable or they need more swimming room or (fingers crossed) I can find a good deal on another 50-60g (I'm on a permanent lookout).

So without further ado . . .

When I first got it:

IMG_23401_zps5a1df204.jpg

After Aten and Peaches moved in the tank got a reno:

IMG_24311_zpsa84eff24.jpg

When my amazon sword (or brazilian?? whichever is aquatic) put out babies I put them in the 20g for reno #2:

IMG_26681_zpsf2d0169e.jpg

Then today when I doing a WC I decided to try a new look again:

IMG_26841_zps1b26dbae.jpg

You can see algae on most of the surfaces as I only clean the front and right panes from algae as I want there to be plenty for the snails. They also get vegetables and algae wafers and any omega one pellets they can get to before the fish, but I like watching them snack in between.

Peaches, Aten, Jaques and Hathor checking out their new bare bottom:

IMG_26871_zpsfba86f41.jpg

In the back you can see Fitz my dojo loach who is visiting while the 55g gets a maintenance prazi dose. He'll return home with next weeks water change.

Bonus photo. I also rearranged some of the plants in the 55g:

IMG_26891_zps5d29686d.jpg

And yes, my cat Sheba is sitting on the hood. It's nice and warm you know!

Edited by BronwynH

Love your tanks and your cat knows how to stay warm :)

Thank you. Sheba does know how to stay warm. Her two super-powers are knowing all the warmest spots in the house and getting into trouble :) .

love your aquascaping !! :heart

and your fish are beautiful :wub:

Thank you! I think I finally have the 20g the way I want it. Well, I'll probably put on a background, something simple. But otherwise I like it. The 55g still isn't quite right. The problem is while I know what I like when I look at other people's tanks I'm not quite sure what I want in mine. I think I might go plant shopping again next month. I like the Giant Baby Tears Goldsguy recently suggested. Maybe I'll try to find some. I've also been wanting pennywort, but can't find any :(

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

Thank you!

I love the new cleaner look you have going on :) and your plants all look great!!as do your gorgeous fish :)

Thank you. I enjoy the less cluttered look myself. Of course by now the little buggers have redecorated on their own and there's gravel all over the bottom of the tank again (big sigh). This penchant they have for redistributing the gravel is the reason I put in the river rocks in the first place as an attempt at hiding the evidence. This time I've decided to just live with it and put as much back in the glass jars as possible with each water change. The plants are all growing like mad, which is nice. And other than our little disagreement about where the gravel should be the fish do seem to like their home. All in all I'm quite pleased.

• 1 month later...

More changes = new photos!

From last week:

IMG_2804_zpsbc7b57bc.jpg

I pulled out the baby swords as peaches kept uprooting them. They are now in a grow out bowl. (I figured they're still so tiny I don't need to set up my 10g QT for them). I also pulled the anubias out and glued them to rocks. This photo was taken while the glue was still curing.

These were taken today and show the anubias:

IMG_2825_zps93318088.jpg

IMG_2827_zpsd389add4.jpg

IMG_2824_zps63d17822.jpg

While it looks like there's only 2 anubias, there's actually 3. The fish seem to enjoy moving them around and I constantly see the rocks in slightly different positions in the tank. As you can see they're also landscaping with the gravel in the containers.

You are a busy lady. So are your fish. :rofl

Just trying to get the tanks the way I want them and since I don't know what I want that makes for a large number of variants. :teehee

I really enjoy watching the evolution of your tanks.You are giving me inspiration!

I'm trying to get to what I like too and that is definitely an ongoing process :)

What is the kind of plant that you have floating at the top of your tank?

Edited by lldykstra

Good to see that you are giving your busy landscaping goldfish something to work with. :) I love your tank!

Edited by LisaCGold

I really enjoy watching the evolution of your tanks.You are giving me inspiration!

I'm trying to get to what I like too and that is definitely an ongoing process :)

What is the kind of plant that you have floating at the top of your tank?

Thank you!

There's actually two plants at the top. The big clump off to the left is hornwort. I actually had it planted at first, but got sick of it constantly getting pulled up and then having to replant. So now it just floats. I can't be certain, but I think it's even grown just floating there. the other smaller plants you see are actually individual leaves from the planted plant. I have no idea what it actually is. I bought it from a local hobbyist and he did tell me at the time, but I forgot by the time I got home. It grows really fast and I'm constantly having to pinch it back. One of those times I didn't notice that I'd detached a leaf and left it floating on the top. Some time later I noticed it tangled in with the hornwort and saw that it had rooted, so I left it. About a week later I noticed it was growing new leaves. So now when I pinch back the plant if I have to pull of a leaf to assist replanting I just leave it on the surface. Most of them are probably entwined with the hornwort, but there's at least a dozen of them in there.

Good to see that you are giving your busy landscaping goldfish something to work with. :) I love your tank!

Thank you! :) I love it too!

I often think that I should find something to put in the tank that will still leave me bare bottom, but will provide Peaches with some landscaping material!

very nice! I like the new look! Pots can definitely be tricky to pull off because it can get too cluttery with too many, but I really like the new layout :) and the 55 looks great too!

very nice! I like the new look! Pots can definitely be tricky to pull off because it can get too cluttery with too many, but I really like the new layout :) and the 55 looks great too!

Thanks so much! I agree about the pots. I wanted the tank to be more heavily planted, but I couldn't figure out how to achieve that and keep the bare bottom. So this is how it is for now.