White Stains on Glass - Vinegar no help.

MissFree

Hello all!

I tried to do this on my own without asking form much help :(

My 72 gallon bow front tank has these horrible white stains almost 1/4 of the way down the tank. I tried filling the darn thing up with water and I even added almost two gallons of distilled vinegar. The stains won't budge.

This tank was used as a salt water tank a few months ago and I'm trying my best not to get frustrated but I really wanted to be able to set up and start that cycle process within the week.

I even tried using a razor but nothing is doing the trick.

I cant lay it down and use raw vinegar due to the front being curved. and I live in an apartment complex. My only advantage is water.

Any advice?

Vinegar soaked paper towels. They stick to the walls. :) Soak until the paper towels are too dry to stick. Then take the sharpest razor in the house to them again.

Cool. Thanks Chelsea! I'll empty it halfway down and try that out this week.

Vinegar soaked paper towels. They stick to the walls. :) Soak until the paper towels are too dry to stick. Then take the sharpest razor in the house to them again.

Sounds like a plan. :) Vinegar is always my go-to for these types of things. I had a 40B that had severe hard water buildup and the vinegar took care of it really well using this method, so I hope it works out well for you too.

... :no: Vinegar didn't work. I even used a past with baking soda

Going to wallpaper the tank with paper towels again.

Sounds like a plan. :) Vinegar is always my go-to for these types of things. I had a 40B that had severe hard water buildup and the vinegar took care of it really well using this method, so I hope it works out well for you too.

Do you have one of those CLR type cleaners? Calcium, Lime, Rust. Cleans pretty much anything. Try not to inhale too much it is nasty.

I have been toying with the idea of trying it and just wallpapering the tank with that and paper towel if this vinegar doesn't' work. I've been looking online and it seems as most people think that it's bad for the tank :(

People think CLR is bad for the tank? I use it in my bathroom when I clean it once a year... Uh I mean weekly. Shower, sink, toilet, mirror, etc but no actual glass. I'd use it and be sure to rinse very well!

I also find that I have some stains on my glass hood that are stubborn. I just leave them, but then again, I'm very lazy. :P If you use your vinegar, and REALLY scrub, most of it will come off. You just need to use elbow grease, time, and a straight razor.

People think CLR is bad for the tank? I use it in my bathroom when I clean it once a year... Uh I mean weekly. Shower, sink, toilet, mirror, etc but no actual glass. I'd use it and be sure to rinse very well!

I think it is more the chemical residue adhering to the silicone, not the glass. I wouldn't use it, but then again I don't even think of using bleach on my fish stuff.

I also find that I have some stains on my glass hood that are stubborn. I just leave them, but then again, I'm very lazy. :P If you use your vinegar, and REALLY scrub, most of it will come off. You just need to use elbow grease, time, and a straight razor.

I think I wore out my elbow. This stuff is not budging at all. :(

Have you actually tried just filling the tank? I have some nasty looking white stains on the old 55gal I turned into a sump, but they disappeared when I filled it... you can still see a little haziness there if you REALLY look hard, but most of the time, you wouldn't notice at all. It sounds like your white stuff is worse than what's on my sump, but it's at least worth a try.

I think I wore out my elbow. This stuff is not budging at all. :(

I second the idea to fill it. My 10 gallon qt has stains that are also unmovable, so I just fill it up all the way, and leave it. You really don't see it as much, when it's filled. ;) When things like this develop, I like to think of it as an outward sign of a tanks' maturing. Like a good looking man, with gray hair, and a couple of scars, it adds character. :pp

Leave it to me to bring men into a topic about hard water stains. :rofl3

Edited by yafashelli

I tried refilling it. Now I have to rinse it out a million times. I was thinking on putting an etched border on it to distract me or a sticker even. I don't have OCD but I know for a fact it will bother me. I could still see it when filled.

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion but I would not use CLR on ANY of my fish stuff. I would STILL worry even after rinsing the HECK outta the tank! I use mostly Elbow Grease & occasionally vinegar!