Messy gel food

frangles

Hi all

I seem to be having a messy issue with my gel food. When I defrost it and put it in my tank, it seems to break up too easily and I have lots of small floaty bits in my tank. It seems that my goldies are missing a lot of it and my filter gets the bulk of it. I have a mixture of large and small fish so when the big guys attack the gel cubes, bits of food go flying and the small guys mop it up. But then there's a lot of smaller particles that cloud up the water which seems like a waste.

My recipe is made up of shrimp, broccoli, peas and some multivitamins that I blend up. I bind it all with agar powder.

Does anyone have any suggestions in minimizing the waste? Or is this all part of the joys of goldfish keeping?

Welcome to the forum! :hi

Can you provide the ratios of the ingredients you used? For example, how much agar-agar you used, water, veggies, etc.? Perhaps your ratios of ingredients are off. :idont

Do you turn your filters off for a few minutes to let the goldies get more of the particulates :idont

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try and clarify a bit more :)

My gel food recipe is 1kg (2lb) of brocoli and peas and half a kilo (1lb) of shrimp. I add about 100g (4oz) of agar powder and it sets it at room temperature. I cut it up into blocks and freeze it. When I use it fresh when it's set at room temp it's all good in the tank. It doesn't make any mess and it takes a while for the fish to eat it. But when I add it after its been defrosted it like falls apart much quicker. More like really cheap nasty algae wafers. So the particles are like small dust.

I feed them away from my filter intake so we can rule that one out :)

Thanks again for the ideas

I've been just putting it in zip lock bags

I would suggest using an airtight container. The extra moisture getting into the bags tends to 'melt' the gel when it thaws and that destabilizes everything.

Could you please post the recipe? Sounds like you need to add a bit more agar.

My gel food recipe is 1kg (2lb) of brocoli and peas and half a kilo (1lb) of shrimp. I add about 100g (4oz) of agar powder and it sets it at room temperature.

It was mentioned above. :)

Could you please post the recipe? Sounds like you need to add a bit more agar.

My gel food recipe is 1kg (2lb) of brocoli and peas and half a kilo (1lb) of shrimp. I add about 100g (4oz) of agar powder and it sets it at room temperature.

It was mentioned above. :)

Seems like it's not agar then. Could we see what your gel food looks like?

I've been just putting it in zip lock bags

I would suggest using an airtight container. The extra moisture getting into the bags tends to 'melt' the gel when it thaws and that destabilizes everything.

I think that's exactly it!! I might try that next time when I make another batch... or is there a way to 'fix' what I have left? Should I just melt everything in a pot, reheat and let it set again?

Does anyone have any suggestions in minimizing the waste? Or is this all part of the joys of goldfish keeping?

This is my step by step method, with photos. How long you cook the agar matters, as does the temperature of the final mix before it sets. It is okay to give them small pieces of semi-frozen gel, as you noticed it thaws quickly in the 70F+ water. Good luck with your next batch.