Bio media for filters...

Hey everyone. I need some help.

I have a 55 gallon up and running. The filters on this include a Marineland bio wheel 300 and a Fluval 206. I was thinking about upgrading this to a AquaClear 110. The more filtration the better right? In the meantime I want to take the carbon out of my canister filter and use the ceramic rings in both my HOB and my canister filter. Should I upgrade to the Aquaclear 110 for this tank? I'm kind of thinking that I should.

Now here is where I really need the help. I have a 72bow tank. It's not up yet. It will have a Fluval 406 and an AquaClear 110. These filters are brand new... I have a lot of work to do.

I watched Tithra's video and I had some wandering thoughts.

I have a box of filter pads by Tetra. The ones that come with the filter pad and carbon in small packs. Can I use that to put behind the bio media? I have lots of that.

Is it possible for me to cut out the filter filter cartridges and use the padding to errrr seed the new filter pads? I was thinking I would get four pieces of already established filter media and separate that between my two tanks for the Penguin 300 and the AquaClear? OK don't laugh. Seriously.

Even with my smaller filter for my quarantine tank I was wondering if u could cut the carbon out rinse I. Gap water and use that in the canister filter ....

Or could I order the bio rings and split the already established set with the new set to help out both canister filters?

I know you're probably saying I'm from crazy street but in some weird way I think that at least part of my idea should help.

If you have a better way I could try to do this please advise.

Is this a good deal for ceramic rings by the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181110899498?var=480225008328

This is what I do to kick start a canister!! but it will still take some time to establish!! :-)

This is what I do to kick start a canister!! but it will still take some time to establish!! :-)

I'll be putting in some gravel from the other tank as well. I think I have about an inch and a half too much.

I'll be putting in some gravel from the other tank as well. I think I have about an inch and a half too much.

good idea! it will all help!:-)

good idea! it will all help!:-)

quick question if you know...

when cleaning a tank how much vinegar would I throw in with the water. this was a salt water tank that was empty for six months.. well seven months.

Im about to fill it to check for leaks (third time) there are those white water stains.. :(

If the crusties aren't very thick, I'd personally just take the empty tank, and a giant bottle of vinegar (think Costco size) and douse the walls with the straight vinegar... maybe scrub with a toothbrush, or my green scrubby pad (fish only, not the one from the kitchen sink!). If it's thicker, or I didn't have the time/energy to scrub it clean, then I'd fill the tank with the strongest vinegar solution I could (basically the whole big bottle, plus enough water to actually FILL the tank) and run the filters on it without media until it looked clean enough for me. That said, I'm not a neat freak, and I generally am NOT up to much scrubbing... I've also never tried to remove the crusties from a saltwater tank before. This is just where I'd start, not saying it's the best route. ;-)

If the crusties aren't very thick, I'd personally just take the empty tank, and a giant bottle of vinegar (think Costco size) and douse the walls with the straight vinegar... maybe scrub with a toothbrush, or my green scrubby pad (fish only, not the one from the kitchen sink!). If it's thicker, or I didn't have the time/energy to scrub it clean, then I'd fill the tank with the strongest vinegar solution I could (basically the whole big bottle, plus enough water to actually FILL the tank) and run the filters on it without media until it looked clean enough for me. That said, I'm not a neat freak, and I generally am NOT up to much scrubbing... I've also never tried to remove the crusties from a saltwater tank before. This is just where I'd start, not saying it's the best route. ;-)

Lol. Thanks... What I did was fill it with water and empty about 30 ounces of vinegar in it. It's gonna hood that water for about 20 hours as I'm working a double shift today. :(

So I'll check it and use a gentle chemical free pad to see if the white residue rubs off. It's not crusty but I won't be able to live with that white stain that's 1/4 the way down from the tank.

Use a razor blade! It will take salt, calcium and algae deposits off with relative ease. :)

Hey Dan, my boyfriend just called me and said that the white rings are still there. He didn't run his fingers to see if it comes off but I'll buy a box of razors just in case. ...and some vinegar. LOL. Thanks for the tip.