Just picked up a bargain!

Bad news. Not so much of a bargain after all. After I got it home, I notices two things. Dark black mold on the silicone where the gravel had been and also where the hood was hiding the silicone. The silicone on the back of the tank had been replaced, and not been done properly, so it had lifted and there was water under the glass.

So, now we have to reseal the tank. My husband is going to do it. Fingers crossed it doesn't leak.

I'm so disappointed. I wish I hadn't bought it.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be the deal you hoped for. I recently posted about the possibility of resealing a tank and Alex gave me a great link. My thread is here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116676-how-feasible-is-it-to-reseal-a-tank/

My concern is, I don't want to take the tank apart into pieces.. Can I still leave the silicone on that they have joined the panels together with, so that the tank holds it's shape and just re-silicone along the inside seams? Does that make sense?

Edited by Scarlett

My concern is, I don't want to take the tank apart into pieces.. Can I still leave the silicone on that they have joined the panels together with, so that the tank holds it's shape and just re-silicone along the inside seams? Does that make sense?

My understanding is that it's actually a very bad idea to do like that, since silicone doesn't attach very well to silicone.

My understanding is that it's actually a very bad idea to do like that, since silicone doesn't attach very well to silicone.

I was going to say this, but you got there first!

As for taking the glass apart in the video Alex posted on my thread the guy didn't take the glass out of the frame, so you might not have to take the pieces apart. Do you know if this is always possible Alex?

Just spoke to an aquarium builder. He said, as long as we clean the joints thoroughly with metho and use special aquarium silicone to reseal it, we don't have to remove the old silicone from the actual joins. Phew!!! I've been losing sleep on this.

Edited by Scarlett

Just spoke to an aquarium builder. He said, as long as we clean the joints thoroughly with metho and use special aquarium silicone to reseal it, we don't have to remove the old silicone from the actual joins. Phew!!! I've been losing sleep on this.

That's great news! Let me know how it goes as I am also keeping my eyes open for used tanks. :)

• Supporter

Sarah, if you can document step by step (with pics and explanations) the process of repairs on another thread, it will be useful for us to recommend other members in similar circumstances to learn from your experiences :)

good luck :)

Sarah, if you can document step by step (with pics and explanations) the process of repairs on another thread, it will be useful for us to recommend other members in similar circumstances to learn from your experiences :)

good luck :)

Helen, we've already pulled the silicone out, but I'm happy to document the rest of the process. :)