Sign in to follow this  
Scarlett

Just picked up a bargain!

So, I wasn't really looking for a new tank, but I was looking through the classified and I saw an ad for a 6 foot, 540 litre Aqua One. Paid $1800 new, selling for $800. Even though it was an hour and a half drive away, I decided to take a look. It was HUGE!!! And in almost perfect condition.

Long story short and $750 dollars later, I am the proud owner of a almost new 6 foot fish tank.

It will look so much better with my goldies in it. :)

u3y4u7a9.jpg

I pick it up next weekend with a van, because its too long for our car. So excited!!! :)

Congratulations!!! :D

Who said deals can't be had in Australia? What an amazing find! :)

Congratulations! It looks beautiful. And I agree, it will look much better with your goldies in it. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! What a beautiful tank!!!

Amazing! Every time I find a good deal on a tank I either don't have the money and/or it comes with a heap of fish I don't want xD

Amazing! Every time I find a good deal on a tank I either don't have the money and/or it comes with a heap of fish I don't want xD

Clearly, this had fish in it too, but they were at extra cost and I didn't want any of them. Picking it up in a week will give the guy time to re-home them.

A quick question. Clearly I'm going to have to sterilize the tank and filter, which will kill the cycle. How do I go about it?

Great tank.

If it is bigger than your old tank, does that mean you will be getting more fish? :P

A quick question. Clearly I'm going to have to sterilize the tank and filter, which will kill the cycle. How do I go about it?

Sterilising or cycling?

You can use a 1:9 bleach to water solution to sterilise everything. For cycling, you can either borrow some media from a cycled tank or start from scratch. Since we can't get pure ammonia easily here, your best bet would be to use fish food.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/

Sterilising or cycling?

You can use a 1:9 bleach to water solution to sterilise everything. For cycling, you can either borrow some media from a cycled tank or start from scratch. Since we can't get pure ammonia easily here, your best bet would be to use fish food.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I want to know how I sterilize everything. I've only my ever started with new tanks and new filters before, so I've never had to worry. I'm assuming once its cleaned with bleach, I just thoroughly rinse it in water? Edited by Scarlett

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I want to know how I sterilize everything. I've only my ever started with new tanks and new filters before, so I've never had to worry. I'm assuming once its cleaned with bleach, I just thoroughly rinse it in water?

Yep. You can prime everything a few times as well. Once it no longer smells like bleach you are good to go. :)

Yea, most of the ones I've seen have been all "must take everything!" and I'm like but I dont want the fish ;-; You got a great deal

That is gorgeous! Congrats! Can't wait to see it once you've got it all set up! :nana

That is gorgeous! Congrats! Can't wait to see it once you've got it all set up! :nana

I have a photo of what I want it to look like, I just have no idea how I go about making it look that way. lol

yzu7edaj.jpg

I wonder if there is someone out there who could do it for me?

Great tank.

If it is bigger than your old tank, does that mean you will be getting more fish? :P

Actually, yes it does. But only when something special comes along. :)

there are companies or private people who will come out to landscape your aquarium, for a fee. i have seen them advertised in the Yellow Pages :)

great find, congratulations :)

have you already paid? inspection of the bottom glass is a must, if there are any deep scratches in the glass, this might cause it to crack during transit.

there are companies or private people who will come out to landscape your aquarium, for a fee. i have seen them advertised in the Yellow Pages :)

great find, congratulations :)

have you already paid? inspection of the bottom glass is a must, if there are any deep scratches in the glass, this might cause it to crack during transit.

I've only paid a deposit. The tank was full, so obviously I couldn't see the bottom. I'll give it a good look over next weekend before I make the final purchase. Going by the condition of the rest of the tank, it should be really good.

The guy has brand new spare lighting tubes and a brand new spare power head from the filter, as he was originally from the country and didn't get to fish shops very often. So, I have those in the price as well and a couple of heaters too!

Off to look in the yellow pages! :)

Congratz!! the tank is beautiful and can't wait to see pictures of the end results.

Congrats on the new tank :) looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

That tank is so beautiful, I would love a huge like that for my goldies some day!

WOW, congrats! I'm super jealous.

I think you could put together your desired aqua scape pretty easily with a little patience. It's going to look beautiful when it's done.

The guy I'm buying it from sent me another photo.

ymuzegyj.jpg

I'm getting really excited now. Can't wait till the weekend to pick it up!!!

So pretty!

Lucky you! Lovely big tank. :thumbs:

I cant wait to see your fish in there. ;)

Very nice tank!!