Sign in to follow this  
ldm001

Goldfish Growth Under Scales

I did some research this weekend on the tanks and it looks like I might go with a real pine wood stand but still looking into it. It is going to be one expensive set up. I did test the nitrite before the water change yesterday and it was still 0ppm.

Still doing water changes in the meantime. The aquarium I went to suggested getting a few plants for the tank so I will also look into that once I get this tank thing settled. Hope to have it resolved really soon!

Hope you are well. Will keep you posted.

Anubias and Java Fern are good plants for Goldfish. They are tough and unappetizing. You could also put some Pothos at the the top with just the roots in the tank to help reduce Nitrate.

Edited by jmetzger72

Hello :). I saw the post about carbon being dangerous at times and would like to add to this. I have seen the ill effects carbon has if not properly maintained. I cleaned a guys tank and he said he cleaned the filter. I thought that meant the carbon too. Nope, next day, he lost a fish. And the next day he lost another. And then more and more. They were getting bloodshot eyes and had blood in their stomachs. I asked how old the carbon was and he said a year old. There was his problem. I had him remove it ASAP as well as the glow in the dark ornaments he had and do a big water change. The next day, he said no deaths and everyone looks extremely happy. His levels even leveled out. (Low pH, some ammonia, and high nitrates) it then went to a pH of 7.5-7.8, 0ppm of ammonia, and about 10-30ppm for the nitrates. If carbon isn't changed, it breaks down and slowly positions the fish. Simple as that. That's why not many of us use it as it is NOT necessary, a waste of money, and a big waste of time and a mess to rinse it to make it clear. Its only really used to pull the rest of the antibiotics of out the water if needed to.

Thank you all for the information. I will definitely invest in some plants

If you get the plants at Petco or Petsmart, get the ones in the plastic tubes rather than plants from their tanks. They are more sterile and won't introduce parasites or snails into your tank. All of my Anubias and Java Ferns are from the Petco tubes and they are doing very well.

HI there...

I am still looking for the larger tank but I am now having a new problem that I dont believe I have had yet.

My larger goldfish is now taking in food but spitting it back out and has been doing this for a few days now. I thought maybe it was the pH. I put in some pH buffer stuff but he hasn't eaten and kept food in yet. He does yawn every once in a while but other than the lump under the scales he has not shown any other symptoms.

I did receive the new food today. I put it in the tank and the larger fish ate it but then spit it back out. I though maybe he was just bored with the food. I also tried freeze dried shrimp but he wasnt interested at all in that since it doesnt sink.

The smaller fish is still eating but is floating at the top a bit. Any thoughts on why my larger fish wouldnt be eating now? I did just see him dart to the top and then let out air bubbles when he went under again.

Thanks.

Anyone have any ideas?

What is the new food? Frozen Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms are better than Freeze dried as freeze dried foods can absorb water inside the fish and cause swim bladder problems.

Edited by jmetzger72

Spitting is often a sign of Flukes. So, even though you have had these fish for a long time, it might be a good idea to treat them with a few rounds of Prazi. The other thing would be to do a gill and mouth check for any foreign bodies caught in the mouth or gills such as a hair, string or piece of gravel. The gills should be a pinkish red and healthy , not white or fragmented.

Edited by jmetzger72

I finally got the solient green in the mail. Have them a mix of their current food and the new food. Smaller of the two (who has swim bladder issuers typically) ate both. But now he is sitting on the bottom which usually isn't good for him.

The larger of the two who hasn't been eating much isn't eating solient green but did finally take down a few pieces of the old food. Strange. Someone mentioned feeding every other day to try to eliminate some waste so I might try that now.

Instead of feeding ever other day, break the amount of food you intend to feed during that interval in half, and feed daily. :)

HI Everyone,

I got the solient green in the mail and tried to feed it to my goldfish but they wouldn't eat it. They would suck it up but then chew it for a bit and spit it out. I used Maracyn Two and the larger goldfish started eating and had been doing fine. However, now the smaller goldfish is breathing with his mouth opening more then usual and he is not eating. This has been going on for about a week now. He seems interested in the food but then picks it up and then spits it out. Any ideas of what this can be? No scratching but I did notice tiny small holes in the tail fin and have noticed very small white spots that look a little cottony looking. I am guessing that the cottony growth is first and then the hole goes where the white cottony spot was. Again, the holes are very small and it is not ick.

Any idea of what this can be? I am actually ordering the 75Gallon tank tomorrow and it should be here by Wednesday so hopefully my water quality will be really good after that. In the meantime, I have been testing the water and doing water changes whenever needed. I have put some Maracyn in the tank but I dont see any change in my fishes breathing etc. It has only been 3 days. I can't keep the medicine in well because I have to keep doing water changes. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Based on the symptoms, I suspect Flukes which are a parasite and not a bacteria. So, the Maracyn will not eliminate them. I would consider a course of Prazipro.

Edited by jmetzger72

How long have you been feeding them the Solient Green? Are you chopping it into small pieces? It may just take them a while to get used to it :idont

I agree, I second flukes. If you go to our sponsor's website http://tastyworms.com and type in Prazi pro. I would get that. His prices are amazing and are super competitive! :) also when you go grocery shopping next, try and find Morton's cannon and pickling salt. If you can't find it, any uniodized salt with ZERO addatives will be find. The only ingredient on the box should be salt.

Thanks all for your help! My fish are now comfortably relaxing in their new 75g aquarium! I have not treated them for anything but they are both eating and looking good. I decided to keep salt in the tank since they are used to it. I may try solient green again now that they are in the new tank.

Next task is to get plants and another filter. I kept my last filter but I don't think it will be enough since I'm reading you need about 10 times the gallon number for the gph. Looks like I need about 750gph to go through the filters.

Anyway hopefully the cycle goes smooth or that will be the next thing I write about. Lol

Oh and I decided on a real line wood stand. So far so good.

I'm glad they are doing well! :)

I strongly recommend removing the salt. They do not need to live in brackish water, and doing so at best is a waste of your time and at worst jeopardizing salt's effectiveness at a later date!

I would love pics and/or a video of your new tank! :)