identify me?

katearei

IMAG2784.jpg

What kind of snail is this? I tore down my betta tank about a month ago and found this little guy in my filter. I figured he came on some plants I ordered online. He was just one so I figured if he survived my bettas I'd let him stay.

IMAG2909.jpg

Well to my surprise I found this tiny little guy on the glass of my tank about ten minutes ago when I went in to feed the bettas dinner.

How do these guys reproduce. I was positive I only had one in there.

That clears things up lol. atleast I know what it is now. If it gets out of hand, the goldfish may just get some yummy snacks.

Bladder snail. Asexual and very prolific. Good puffer food if you have one though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

After Daniel said they're prolific breeders curiosity got the best of me and I took the filter apart there actually weren't as many as I'd expected to see but there were a few I think it's too late to try to eradicate them they're already there and who knows how many are actually in the tank. I'll have to tear down the tank again and completely redo it if I want to get rid of them.

If you smash the shells, your fish will love to eat them! They'll spit out the shell bits after consuming the snail bits.

• Supporter

If you smash the shells, your fish will love to eat them! They'll spit out the shell bits after consuming the snail bits.

I have a blue ram cichlid that lives on the stuff lol. No really thats about all he eats anymore. There is other food as I feed those fish but since I crush 10-15 a day at the rim thats what he eats lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I only counted about six lmao so it's not really a problem as of yet. I squeezed the filter stuff from the aquaclear out in the sink with clean water and cleaned out the filter box and everything. I am kind of hoping the bettas will find them and eat them but the one was in there for quite some time and they paid him no mind so I don't give them much credit towards cleaning up the mess

if you don't have any past Dropsy fish in that tank, you could try salting them out. Or even try a snail trap, though I don't know the effectiveness of that method.

Is salt ok to use with bettas? I've never put salt in their tank before

if you don't have any past Dropsy fish in that tank, you could try salting them out. Or even try a snail trap, though I don't know the effectiveness of that method.

Is salt ok to use with bettas? I've never put salt in their tank before

I would have to ask Narny. I don't think it's bad at low doses, but he would be your betta expert, IMO.

They are endemic to my 55 gallon, since a careless mistake with banana plants over 2 years ago. They hide in the filters mostly, but I am quite sure the goldies snack on them, too. :)

That's a good idea but they're not bothering me or the fish so I can't justify a mass murder just yet

you can put a slice of zucchini in the tank.when they start eating it take the snail laden zucchini out and dispose of the snails.

They do eat plants. When I spared two and kept them in a betta cup I put nothing in except some cabomba clippings. The little demons devoured them like Sunday brunch. :rofl

I eventually got sick of them, as they were laying eggs faster than I could keep up with, and they started hatching. I just gave them away to an LFS.