Poopie Problems....

Yes - I read your poop information on this site
I am still interested in anyone's opinion - because my fish are acting healthy and not as if they have a parasite or bacterial infection.
They look great no bottom sitting, eat very well and all of their food in seconds
Parameters:
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
So Ive been seeing a lot of white poop - which I know is not good and may be parasites or bacterial infection but they seem happy..... It started after the egg laying - so I assumed it was the aftermath of feasting on eggs for a few days. But it's been a while since that happened and I still see them.
Just did a WC today and found lots of casing (constipation?) and a lot of white or white with food color mixed - or my fish kind of poop flaky - like it's not the worm usual stuff- it kind of flakes bit by bit out of their toosh.

But even though poop looks weird. The fish seem fine. They still do their surface gulping at times because I had a slight nitrate issue - but not much since I started floating a pothos plant in my water.

Advice? Comments? Thanks*
Edited by greenorchid

Also, I wondered if they could be ingesting my sand substrate ...... it's very fine and white.

The Johnson and Hess book says that fish kept in tanks with sand can sometimes have casts like what you are describing. I think as long as their behavior is normal and healthy, you need not be concerned.

Edited by jmetzger72

Thanks so much

The Johnson and Hess book says that fish kept in tanks with sand can sometimes have casts like what you are describing. I think as long as their behavior in normal and healthy, you need not be concerned.

Thanks so much*

:)

Hey - just wanted to thank you again - a friend of a friend who keeps fish just told me that many people end up killing their fish by heavily medicating because of white stool or casts. He also said it's common for sand substrate. Just said to watch behavior as you mentioned. So thanks again! :)

They're happily swimming around right now* :goldfish:

Hey - just wanted to thank you again - a friend of a friend who keeps fish just told me that many people end up killing their fish by heavily medicating because of white stool or casts. He also said it's common for sand substrate. Just said to watch behavior as you mentioned. So thanks again! :)

You are very welcome :)

• 1 month later...

You are very welcome :)

Hello again... I have another poopie question.

They are acting fine - happy, seem healthy, swimming........ but I feel like my white poopies may be more than they should be..... like almost always. I hardly see food color poops - but I also cut their feedings down drastically. Ive only been feeding once maybe twice a day. HOWEVER, when I clean the tank, some of the poop breaks and it clearly is sand that falls from them. So just curious what your thoughts are.

They seem happy.... my Thurston occasionally will bottom sit - but swims more and they are still all famous for the surface gulping after meals, but otherwise they're all swimming or floating around or sifting through the sand. My floating pothos seems to be helping too.

thanks

talk soon

What color is your sand? Is it white?

Why did you decide to cut back on feedings? Floatiness?

I would watch Thurston for the bottom sitting. If it becomes more frequent in combination with the white feces, then I would consider a QT with Metro Meds food.

What color is your sand? Is it white?

Why did you decide to cut back on feedings? Floatiness?

I would watch Thurston for the bottom sitting. If it becomes more frequent in combination with the white feces, then I would consider a QT with Metro Meds food.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117717-hello-again/

These are my fish. My sand is white. I cut back because people considered my nitrate issues to possible overfeeding and I had occasional float issues but that was more so with pellets - I've only been giving repashy gel lately (with peas, frozen bloodworms, daphnia, etc) so I'm going to bump up my feedings again and see what happens. He hasn't bottom sat at all today, I wondered if he was hungry and saving his energy (he's a big one*) ...... I will see if I return to my 2 to 3 times a day if things improve.

thanks

I was just thinking that the white sand might be making the casts look white. So, it may not be anything to worry about. I would get some small 1mm pellets back in the diet :)

I was just thinking that the white sand might be making the casts look white. So, it may not be anything to worry about. I would get some small 1mm pellets back in the diet :)

ok so add hikari purple bag pellets back to the diet? I have those and hikari lionhead

ok thanks - I am trying both. pellets do cause fload issues with my big ones - but I'll back that up with peas and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. thanks so much*

Christina

I really like the Hikari Lionhead.

Thank you*

pellets are producing brown poop* - I cleaned the tank yesterday and found a lot and just a couple white chubby ones (mostly sand)

I really do appreciate your advice - I started off negatively with this site - but regardless I still needed a lot of help learning from all of you. I appreciate your knowledge and not using medication as the answer to issues.

The pellets have made quite a bit of brown poops so thanks* --- my two big ones however without fail started floating and flipped upside down - so I loaded them up on peas and they fixed themselves by this morning. I soak the pellets before I feed them - do you know why this happens? maybe they just need to get used to pellets again?.....

Also, my fish always*** surface gulp for quite a bit of time after feedings. Not regularly - just after feedings and they do it for an extended amount of time. Any ideas why? They've always done this from day one.

Thanks again!!!!!! :fishtank

• 1 month later...

I really like the Hikari Lionhead.

Hello again*

Good Morning*
I have another question for you. My large Ryukin, Eunice, is acting sickly after the water change...
I was about 2 days over due for my wc and she was acting totally fine. But after the wc she started bottom sitting and tightly clenching her top fin. So the next day (Wednesday) I did another wc to make sure maybe the public water wasn't funky that day or something. She seemed to perk up a bit but by the evening she was at it again.... Then this morning I woke up and both my ryukins where bottom sitting next to each other at the bottom top fin clinched tightly.
My oranda and fantail are fine. They're swimming around with their fins totally straight up.
I just gave breakfast, lionhead pellets and everyone scrambled for food and gobbled everything up but Eunice still has that dorsal fin down and definitely is not her happy self...
Parameters:
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 could be more - it's red (40 and 80 look the same on the API master kit to me)
So I'm thinking my horrible town water is the culprit again..... they change from Chlorine to Chloramine back and forth. Thank goodness my family uses our reverse osmosis for drinking and cooking but it's not big enough to use to fill my tank.
Anyways, I also was using a floating pothos plant for a while and they ate it all again..... so on July 12th was when I removed it and haven't purchased a new one yet.... I'm going to go buy one right now.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much*
Also, I still have the occasional white fat chubby poops that I assume are just white sand poops. She is trailing a food colored poop right now.
Thanks again*
Christina

For starters I would test your tap water and tank water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. What dechlorinator are you using? It sounds to me like you have a problem here that has not yet been discovered. What size tank do you have? How many fish are in it? What filtration is on it? Youbsaid you have Nitrate issues. Nitrate at 15 is insignificant and I would not pass off problematic symptoms off on it since you could be missing other problems.

For starters I would test your tap water and tank water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. What dechlorinator are you using? It sounds to me like you have a problem here that has not yet been discovered. What size tank do you have? How many fish are in it? What filtration is on it? Youbsaid you have Nitrate issues. Nitrate at 15 is insignificant and I would not pass off problematic symptoms off on it since you could be missing other problems.

Hello*

I posted my parameters in my post above it's:

PH 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40

My tap water does have traces of Nitrates that's why I started floating pothos - I can not put the pothos in my filter because my cats eat them and they're poisonous.

I have a 55 with 4 fancies with 2 AC 110 HOB and I use Prime. I thoroughly clean my tank and filters weekly and feed various hikari foods and shelled peas.

This all started after my wc on Tuesday - so I'm pretty sure it's because I have high Nitrates. I am leaving the house now to buy another pothos - I think this may be the problem...I hope*

I've had the pothos in since lunch time. Got home at 9pm and both ryukins were still bottom sitting with clenched fins. I'm going to do another wc tomorrow morning - too late for it now. Hopefully that will help.... :hummm

They're pooping a lot yesterday and today too (food colored)....