Outdoor aquarium?

Tabitha

Yes, my wheels are SPINNING! :-) I would love to put in an outdoor pond but it's not in the budget at this time. So I was thinking.... OUCH, ha ha that I have a huge covered patio in the backyard. There just so happens to be an electrical outlet "that works" right where we have the patio table & chairs. I think it would be really cool to take my 55 gallon with goldfish out there. You think this could work? It does get HOT here, up in the 100's later in the summer. The tank would get morning light and shaded most of the day. I'm going to try and add a picture of the location I'd like to do this.

If noting can get in and you can maintain the temp to where it won't get that hot, I think it could work :). You may need a chiller if you can't keep the temp under control, though.

It sounds pretty hot to me if it gets any sun at all. The small surface area of the 55 is a problem here.

You can find a suitable container for a pond very cheaply. For example, this gives you 258 gallons. It needs a flat, level surface which your patio can provide. Building a pond filter is easy and not very expensive. For example, there is a very simple filter here, in post #7.

Edited by shakaho

GEDC0919_zps46a5d496.jpg

A chiller is not something I'm familiar with... will have to look it up. I got a kick out of the kiddie pool idea. The plastic wouldn't be toxic to the fish? I guess not since you mentioned it! Will give that idea consideration for sure. Haven't lived here long and working on making it pretty. Need plants and a pond!

Edited by Tabitha

I would also recommend a pond, as I feel that keeping fish in glass outdoors would provide a slight "ant under the magnifying glass" effect.

Just be sure to cover it with a sturdy net so you don't have animals stealing your fish.

That's nice. Lots of ponders use these kiddie pools as emergency ponds for their fish. You will want predator protection as Chelsea said. You can make a topless table-- just four legs and a frame out of pvc pipe or 1x3 lumber -- that is big enough to go over the pond. You can cover it with screen, netting, or fencing. You keep that on the pond any time you aren't out there, and remove it when you are enjoying or showing off your pond.

A little fountain in the pond will contribute some cooling. A mister over the pond during a heat wave can cool the area a lot.

An outdoor Aquarium in ca is doable I have had one for 3 years now I've and I think Charlie who was living in sand Diego used to have one also :dunno: I have had little issues with it

The the only things to watch out for are tank temps in the summer and winter and the amount of direct light unless you want to plant it heavily then go for a shady spot and I think with the patio cover it will be more shady enough to keep algea growth slow

But I think shakahos idea for a simple pond is a more easier way to have fish outdoors since I have just recently set up a small container pond and I noticed it wasn't near as much work as my outdoor tank

Outdoor tanks are a nightmare. You could totally look for rubbermaid stock tanks or my favorite... Leguna tubs from a local pond and garden store.

Craigslist, at least where I live, is what's up, man.

Shakaho aka pond goddess won't steer you wrong, I think a pond with plants would be so pretty. Jealous of your awesome space :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. I would build an indoor fountain and gf pond if I had the porch you have. I say indoor, but mean both indoor and outdoor. With shade plants. You might start with a pond liner, use cinder blocks to build a form with cement, use sand inside to level it. Then cover it with shicken wire as though you were going to stucco it (adobe style). Inlay tiles, stones, colored glass for decoration. You could plan it to have a recycling fountain. Gosh what a gold mine.

Not sure if you or someone you know is handy with building stuff but these people built a cool wooden pond for about 319 dollars. :D

Pictures of the construction of the pond and the finished pond complete with fish!

http://plantpostings.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-make-above-ground-pond.html

Building materials list and approximate costs.

http://plantpostings.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-pond-post-most-popular-by-long-shot.html