Sign in to follow this  
chuckie987

My Comet GF not eating and not as active

Hey Folks, Over the past week ive not seen my comet goldfish eating, He used to come up to the top as soon as I put food in the tank and would catch all the falling bits but he doesnt seem bothered by it anymore. Hes all not as active as he once was...?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 2.5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Ph-7.8, KH-3**, GH-6**, chlorine-0**
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Ph-7.6, KH-3**, GH-0**, chlorine-1 mg/l**
      ** Mesasured using strips
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit (Tetra 6in1 Strips)
      • * Water temperature? 22c
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 9 (Im aware its a little small) 6months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? General Fluval Chi filter + Little green kiling machine
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 10-20% once a week
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?40% on monday
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Just 1 Comet, about 3 inches long
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Nutrafin Auqa Plus
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Aquarian Goldfish flake, Was once a day stopped as they were just causing a mess.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
      • * Any medications added to the tank? Nope
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.Nothing
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No, Fish looking perfectly heathly
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not eathing , Lathargic unless i got near him with someting
    • Thanks!! :D

Hi, I'm sorry your fish is ill. A photo or video of the behaviour may help the moderators decide what is going on with your fish. We generally upload them to Photobucket and then post the link here.

You need to address the tank size as it may be having an effect on what is going on with the fish. A tank of 60 litres or more is needed in order for any treatment to start. Even though the water parameters are looking good, other chemicals build up in small tanks. It might be good to start with a 90% water change (take the water down until it just covers the top of the fish and refill) and then upload a video. :)

You know the tank is a little small. That's good! There is one thing you can do to make up for a too-small tank, and that is to change more water. We recommend changing a minimum of 50% of the water weekly, and that's for a tank that provides 20 gallons of water per fish. So the first recommendation is to increase the size of your water changes. Your tap water is similar to your tank water, so you can do a 100% water change without shocking your fish as long as you match temperature.

One thing is puzzling. With your small water changes, you should have high nitrates in the tank. Is the tank heavily planted? The API nitrate test is very picky. If you don't do all that vigorous shaking in the instructions you can get a false reading of low nitrate. What does the nitrate read on the strips?

I can't find exactly what you have for filtration online. Was this an aquarium-filter set? I think you might need more filtration.

Could you explain lethargic a little more? Bottom sitting? Listless floating? Gill movement (rapid or slow)? Could you provide a video? I use YouTube and then link it here. I hope your fish recovers from whatever is ailing it. You have gotten some good advice so far. I see you stopped using flakes, but what are you feeding instead now? I would recommend the omega one small sinking pellets if you don't want to order fish food online. They carry them at petsmart.

Thanks very much for all the replies! I am planning on getting a bigger tank just need some $$ before I can. The filter is just one that came with the tank so probably isnt brilliant.

I will start with doing bigger water changes as of today!

He normally just sits about have way up the tank and moves about slowing but if I go here him with a net or anything he does move pretty fast but he used to fly about all day long.
I havent been feeding him, ever couple of days i would put a couple of flakes in but they werent getting eaten.

Only have 1 small plant and Nitrate came back on the strips as 0-10.
Could it be hes just getting to big for the tank?

**I will try and get a video but quite dark now may wait till tomorrow**

Edited by chuckie987

Your nitrates may be low from lack of waste since he isn't eating. A video of his behavior would be really helpful. It could be that he isn't as active because he feels crowded, but it could be other issues too. Just curious, but have you ever treated for flukes using the prazi pro?

There is something wrong with a goldfish that doesn't eat, but we don't know what yet. Your video may show us a symptom that you didn't catch. Test the appetite again. Take some frozen green peas, microwave until soft, remove the outer "shell" from one and squish the insides between your fingers, and offer him that.

Clean water is an aid to recovery from any illness, so we can confidently advise water changes. It would help if you could look carefully for a few symptoms.

Are the fins fully spread, or are they held close to the body?

Look carefully for any sores, bumps or discolorations on the body.

Does the fish go to the top of the water like he is trying to get some air?

Look at the fish from the top.

Do the gill covers appear to "hang open" or do they fit close to the body?

Does the body appear swollen overall or in any place?

Do the scales stick out at all?

Look under the gill covers at the gills. What color are they?

Does the fish ever appear to scratch itself by rubbing against the gravel or anything else in the tank?

Do you have any medications on hand or available locally?

No he doesnt rub up against ornaments, he seems better today but havent really done anything other than changed 50% water but I had done that before.

Doesnt sit at the bottom or suck air at the top.
Also I bought some food pellets they are pretty small will he be able to find them in amonst the gravel?

Only thing i really noticed is his gills dont open very often.

Edited by chuckie987

Did you try the peas? Just drop in one or two pellets and watch to see if he finds and eats them.

How deep is the gravel? We recommend only a thin layer of gravel ( ~1cm) if you use it. The reason that uneaten food, fish poop, and other debris can slip into the spaces between the gravel, decay and release chemicals, some of which are toxic.

Since water changes appear to help, please continue to change 50% of the water daily.

Edited by shakaho

Can you obtain praziquantel? Here is a possible source. Your fish may be suffering from gill flukes. Prazi is a very safe medication for flukes which won't hurt him even if that isn't the problem.

You should make plans to upgrade your tank. You really should have 20 gallons of water for each goldfish and a filter that turns over 10 times the volume of the tank per hour. I think your are right that your fish has outgrown the tank,, but I also suspect that is not the whole problem. Prazi treatment is a good first step.