Sign in to follow this  
magickzzl

10 year old goldfish coming home

So for 5 years i raised some common goldfish to about 9-12 inches each. I then had to move and gave them to my best friend, who had them for another 5 years. in that time all passed except Hale Bop, who now is home to me again! So I kinda had to emergency take him to my place, and he is currently in a 5 gallon tub with his old filter. I also have another 5 gallons of his old tank water, but i still need to set up the 20 gallon he will be spending the rest of his days in. Any suggestions on a weird situation?

Oh, and he moved halfway across the state so max i have 10 gallons of his old water to add to the new tank

Hello :) that's so cool to get your fish back! :)

Please check the parameters of his water he's in now and your tap water.

Ideally, I would get him a 40 breeder if he is 9-12 inches. I couldn't see a 1 foot fish living in a 20 gallon for the rest of his life :(

On that tank, I would recommend getting (2) Aquqclear 70s as filtration. This is going to be tough to keep up with as there is no cycle since it will have new media, the ammonia is going to build up quickly and water changes will need to be done frequently if not everyday to keep it down. I would recommend Prime as a water conditioner as it dechlorinates the water and detoxifies up to 1ppm of ammonia for up to 24 hours.

Edited by Mikey

Look at his old parameters vs his new parameters and adjust as best you can for that. Pay particular attention to PH differences.

Acclimate the tank water to his container, not the container to his tank, as you can't really easily float his bucket.

I agree with Mikey on the 40 breeder. He would live out the rest of his days very comfortably in that tank vs. the 20g.

How are things? :)

Oh wow! That's so cool:) I hope he's been doing well.