Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

The nightmare continues

Oh Niki, I'm so sorry about these latest happenings. As I read your posts, I can sense how much you really care for your babies. Love, light and healing energy to you and your babies!

Hey so I picked up methyl blue, kana and bifuran.

Was thinking a blue dip then kana and bifuran in the water with metro food. Thoughts?

Any help with methyl dip instructions?

Edited by GreenTea

Hi Niki,

I actually think that you are better off with a PP bath, which is a bit more useful than a methylene blue dip. I actually also don't know the concentration one might use for a methylene blue dip, primarily because this agent is not used for such purposes, but for longer durations to achieve any sort of effective.

Also, the antibiotic of choice for the treatment of columnaris is oxytetracycline. This is found both in the Noga and the Roberts books. I did see a lot of chatter about bifuran/kana on the web for columnaris, but feel that those are really super strong treatments when combined with all the others. :(

I'm sorry I am not more help than this. :(

Hi Niki,

I actually think that you are better off with a PP bath, which is a bit more useful than a methylene blue dip. I actually also don't know the concentration one might use for a methylene blue dip, primarily because this agent is not used for such purposes, but for longer durations to achieve any sort of effective.

Also, the antibiotic of choice for the treatment of columnaris is oxytetracycline. This is found both in the Noga and the Roberts books. I did see a lot of chatter about bifuran/kana on the web for columnaris, but feel that those are really super strong treatments when combined with all the others. :(

Thats good to know for the future, thanks for looking it up. Those aren't things I have now and I do have to act now or will lose them unfortunately.

Is the methyl blue safe to use with kanaplex etc?

Edited by GreenTea

You can try calling around to water treatment/well water system repair businesses, and ask for Potassium Permanganate. Many of them will have it, and it's pretty cheap to buy. I've heard that some Home Depots have it, if you look in the section for water softeners.

:hug

Hi Niki,

Thats good to know for the future, thanks for looking it up. Those aren't things I have now and I do have to act now or will lose them unfortunately.

I think it should be safe, but I have not ever tried that particular combination, or have read about it, unfortunately.

How are things today?

Hi Niki,

I think it should be safe, but I have not ever tried that particular combination, or have read about it, unfortunately.

How are things today?

Bad news : I lost the lavender pair last night.. :(

Good news : I think Bowie (my absolute favorite and a gift from Adrian 2 years ago) and my crystal panda female ranchu will make it!

I was going to lose them all unless I did something drastic, so yesterday I did a blue dip followed by kana and bifuran. This morning I see almost no columnaris symptoms on Bowie and the other girl, they are both active and eating.

I am giving them another blue dip now, and will just do kanaplex and a half does bifuran today. Tomorrow will be another dip and just kanaplex and observing.

I am very hopeful they are going to survive this and I'm very grateful to you guys for sticking it out with me even though it was really ugly and long and depressing!

Edited by GreenTea

Oh Niki, I'm so happy for you! I know it's been terrible losing so many so fast, I can't even imagine, but if only two are going to recover, at least one of them is your favorite! Happy dances your way!

Oh Niki, I'm so happy for you! I know it's been terrible losing so many so fast, I can't even imagine, but if only two are going to recover, at least one of them is your favorite! Happy dances your way!

:D Thank you. We are certainly not out of the woods yet, but I am hopeful.

I'm so sorry about your breeding pair. Glad you think the remaining two will make it though!

I'm so sorry you lost your lavender pair. I remember when you got at least one of them. Fingers crossed for Bowie and the other.

I'm sorry about you losing the beautiful lavender pair of ranchus. Light and healing vibes to Bowie and your crystal panda!

I'm so sorry for your losses... Keeping you and your babies in my thoughts. :bighug

It's a good feeling when you see things smoothing out, best of luck to your little ones. :heart

:( I'm very sorry for your loss, but wanted to wish you the very best of luck for the remaining fish. :heart

Thanks all..

The panda ranchu is not out of the woods by any means but Bowie my sakura girl looks great. No bottom sitting, looks to be putting on a bit of weight again, and just one bruise looking thing (recovering ulcer) I believe) which is healing nicely.

Bifuran was so hard on their damaged gills, I am currently treating with kana, daily 30 min methyl blue baths,melafix and daily water changes.

Gave them one day of fresh water to recover their gills a bit and it did seem to help. I've recovered emotionally somewhat and have begun sanitzing and breaking it all down to begin again..

I'm so sorry about what happened. I'm battling a strange illness in one of my babies at the moment, too. My fingers are crossed for your survivors.

I'm so sorry about what happened. I'm battling a strange illness in one of my babies at the moment, too. My fingers are crossed for your survivors.

If you need, start a D&D thread. If we can help, we would be glad to do so. :)

I hope all will be well with your fish.

Thanks. I do have one going in the general section about cycling a tank and the weird symptoms one of my fish is displaying. I might start one in D&D too.

Guys, I am starting a separate thread for their ongoing after care as I think I need a plan.

Thanks again to everyone, my last two will make it, they are looking better every day