Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

The nightmare continues

Niki, what is the ammonia level in the tank with the splitting tails? I'm so sorry :( this looks terrible

Niki, what is the ammonia level in the tank with the splitting tails? I'm so sorry :( this looks terrible

I'm not sure, I'll go check. Should be 0. I'll check all parameters actually.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10-20 (out of tap as well)

Ph 7.6-7.8 (kind of in between the chart shades)

Video looks to be about done uploading, will post here.

Ok. I was brave, and their fins look more relaxed.

30 second dip at .3%

45 second dip at .3%

5 minute dip at .15%

Video is uploaded but it did say it may take a few minutes to show up in my photobucket.

ok. no more salt dipping for now. we'll give them a break. looking forward to the vid.

I'm glad they are making it though the dips.

good work, brave girl :hug :hug

would you be able to post a video? talk me through it... every concern? raise each gently to the surface perhaps in a colander?

For whatever reason it never showed up in my photobucket, uploading to youtube now and will send you a PM :) Sorry it advance for all my loud breathing! Allergy season to the max over here. Everyone alive this morning and looking pretty ok.

Glad everyone is doing well.

Did you do the dips at 0.3% or 3%? Just curious. :D

Glad they went well. :nana

niki! they are looking a lot better after the salt dips!! :heart

the pineconing seems to be minimal, although the redness is still there, i do agree that it has a lot to do with the bottom sitting that they were doing and it's definitely a secondary bacteria infection you're dealing with (what the Ich is causing and leaving behind for the fish to deal with). i would up the dose of the metro.. *not in the feeds, but add it to the water.

*here i mean, keep feeding them the current medfood (without increasing oral meds), but add metronidazole to the water..

tell me what treatments we have in the water? if my memory serves me well, i would say that we have none. if this is the case, i would like you to half dose Melafix until the new meds arrive.. we will use that instead of salt to keep the water sterile and use it conservatively so that their gills are not affected in any way whilst they are on the mend.

right now, i would not be too concerned about the condition of their fins, Ich embeds itself into the skin which will cause all sorts of funky looking everything. the salt dips is what is making their slime coat look funky.... and that's a good thing that it's falling off! because that is primarily what i wanted you to get rid of :)

i am happy because they are moving around (mostly), wriggling when you handle them, currently have an appetite and do not show white spots :)

i would not be too concerned for the black chu's butt in the air, that could be some constipation from the med feeds :)

i love this update :) i wish that no more will pass and that they keep getting stronger with every day :heart

Edited by Helen
clarified some info

I'm sending good thoughts your way! I hope they continue to recover!

The black female ranchu passed tonight :(

So Helen - Just to clarify for treatment,

Maybe 1/4 recommended melafix? Or 1/2? along with ..2x dose metro in the water? It days 1-2 levels per 10 gallons. I've been doing 2 per 10 gallons. What would recommend?

And then that's it with daily water changes and metro food? I should still switch tanks every 7 days?

Should I keep the temp up at 82?

can you tell me what dose metro you have in the water? and how many gallons?

you should be switching tanks daily.. sterilizing one whilst they're in the other. this is to minimize any Ich left behind that may want to latch back onto the host. 1/2 dose melafix only.

yes, new meds with every water change.

so basically when you set up their next tank for the day (after you sterilize it,) you can add in 10 gallons, 400 mg of metro and half dose of melafix. oral meds will be the same. (i have decided to have you use the melafix in place of salt which we cannot use since they were/are pineconed)

i am sorry that you lost another :(

and just to clarify, i have used the same Metronidazole doses (oral feeds with free in the water) for my fish. they handled it very well.

Why 1/4 or 1/2 Melafix?

I think cutting doses in half may sometimes be justified, but 1/4 may be diluting below the effective range.

I had to drive up to Seattle for the night and will be back down tomorrow, the powder metro bottle says 1-2 measured levels (spoon included) per 10 gallons. Each level is about 100 mg. So I'm adding 800mg per water change.

The tanks are 40 gallons.

Why 1/4 or 1/2 Melafix?

I think cutting doses in half may sometimes be justified, but 1/4 may be diluting below the effective range.

i am quoting half dose since there was some speculation months ago that full dose can affect the gills of unwell fish.. and would rather be on the safe side. but like i said 'speculation' so if you know better, then please advise full dose :)

Why 1/4 or 1/2 Melafix?

i am quoting half dose since there was some speculation months ago that full dose can affect the gills of unwell fish.. and would rather be on the safe side. but like i said 'speculation' so if you know better, then please advise full dose :)

I am not making any suggestions since you guys have a plan of action, but I did want to make that point...all meds have a range where they are effective, below which they do not work and above which they are toxic. We have not established whether reducing the dose of Melafix reduces effectiveness, and I doubt that we can.

However, my guess is that businesses won't go out of their way to go much beyond the lowest concentration that maintains effectiveness, and so there is a risk going lower.

As for the idea that a full dose of Melafix versus a half dose...I think this is more people projecting than anything. I have not seen anything convincing of this, other than people seeing fish piping at the surface.

Lastly, remember the way with prazi. In severely affected fish, the regular dose of prazi will send them all bottom sitting. Someone who isn't careful might jump to conclusion and say oh, the prazi is hurting my fish and remove the med. Then, lo and behold, their fish get better just as the meds are being moved. So, the prazi is harmful, right? You and I both know that those bottom sitters should become active once again, even as the prazi were left in the tank. We know, because we both have seen this. So, anyway, I just wanted to point this out. :)

Having said all that, I don't know that reducing the dose reduces effectiveness, just as I don't know that reducing the dose is necessary in gill damaged fish. :/

and i agree, but since we don't know 100% and the fact that it is of oil base, i would rather tread with caution. we are ok with your input, whenever you feel the need. your opinions are always welcome and appreciated :)

niki, i would rather the Metronidazole dose in the water not exceed 400mg. the recommended is 200mg and i have doubled that to 400mg :)

and i agree, but since we don't know 100% and the fact that it is of oil base, i would rather tread with caution. we are ok with your input, whenever you feel the need. your opinions are always welcome and appreciated :)

niki, i would rather the Metronidazole dose in the water not exceed 400mg. the recommended is 200mg and i have doubled that to 400mg :)

But you quoted that for 10g, right? Mine is 40 gallons.

sorry hun, i missed that it was 40g. yes, the med doses i refer to is for a 10g.. x 4 for a 40g :)

sorry hun, i missed that it was 40g. yes, the med doses i refer to is for a 10g.. x 4 for a 40g :)

Great, thanks Helen! So I'm back home and some things look much better! And some symptoms are worse/more strange. I'll get some photos and try for a video for you as well. Much of the redness, dropsy symptoms are gone and I don't see any bottom sitting now.

However, the extremely rapid fin deterioration I saw with my pearlscales is happening with some ranchu - as in, entire caudal eaten away leaving only the rays of the fins :( Two ranchu are also not really eating.

I also see some white dots left over on the mouth, etc, the new meds have not arrived yet..

Some more slime coat coming off all over. Poor fish.

Another dip? They look good aside from the fin issues.

I'm almost wondering if I should lower the temp, as there is currently nothing in the tank to treat the parasites other than metro, and they may be running amok.

Changed out water and added metro back.

I just checked everyones gill situation, actually looks pretty good except for the calico male who has slime coat and white dots on his gills. I do have several meds meant to treat ich, maybe now that they seem on their way out would be time to try once more before the medicine gets here?

Or another short/modified salt dip?