Mystery snail eggs!

*Amanda*

To my total surprise this morning, as we were doing a water change on the 55 gallon this morning we lifted up the lid, and voila! Snail eggs!

I am really excited about this and hope they hatch. The tank contains goldfish as well as 3 mystery snails (the ones from Petsmart), so I propped the clutch up on zip ties over a mesh basket hanging in the tank, and then put the lid over the tank so condensation would occur and the babies will fall into the basket once hatched. I did make the mistake of dropping the clutch into the tank for a couple of seconds (I had thought it was secured to the tank lid, but apparently it wasn't), but according to applesnail.net this should not be deadly.

I have kept these snails for years in my GF tanks but they never lived very long. Then one day a few months ago, I started hand feeding them, and all of a sudden they started growing ... and now I have eggs.

If/when the eggs hatch is what I'm concerned about. I do not have a small spare cycled tank to put the babies in; all my 3 tanks contain goldfish. Could I keep the babies in the mesh breeder hanging in the tank until they get big enough where they cannot fit in the goldfishes' mouths? Or should I buy a 5.5 gallon now, even though I won't have enough time to cycle it? Alternatively, would the "bucket to bucket" method used for goldfish fry be used for snails too (except with smaller containers)?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Supporter

Ok first if they started you will probably see 2-3 more clutches over the next week or so. Possibly more if two are female.

Also you should know that one egg clutch can easily have over 100 babies. So if you see more you may want to make the choice if you want to try and keep that many. Or have an alternative plan for them such as a lfs or selling them like me.

Also the eggs may not hatch on their own. This is often the case if the outer layer gets too dry. If this happens just watch and when you see the sack getting dark wait just a fews. Days and if nothing open it your self. I would remove what you want to keep because the goldies will more than likely eat the babies as their shells are somewhat soft for a while. Depending on how many you plan to keep a 5.5 may not last long enough. So just add that into your planing.

I wish you luck in this endeavor and if you have any questions you can ask or PM me and ill be gald to help.

Ok first if they started you will probably see 2-3 more clutches over the next week or so. Possibly more if two are female.

Also you should know that one egg clutch can easily have over 100 babies. So if you see more you may want to make the choice if you want to try and keep that many. Or have an alternative plan for them such as a lfs or selling them like me.

Also the eggs may not hatch on their own. This is often the case if the outer layer gets too dry. If this happens just watch and when you see the sack getting dark wait just a fews. Days and if nothing open it your self. I would remove what you want to keep because the goldies will more than likely eat the babies as their shells are somewhat soft for a while. Depending on how many you plan to keep a 5.5 may not last long enough. So just add that into your planing.

I wish you luck in this endeavor and if you have any questions you can ask or PM me and ill be gald to help.

Wow ... the clutch didn't look like it had that many eggs; I agree 100 is way too many! If they hatch I will feed what I don't want to my GF, since you said their shells are soft and therefore wouldn't harm them.

I do have a 10 gallon tank I use as a hospital tank, but it is not cycled at the moment. I could use that, and just change the water more regularly to prevent the ammonia from spiking.

The clutch was dry when I found it. It had been there for less than a week; I would have noticed it if it was there during last week's water change. It is very light pink/peach ... about when can I expect them to be ready to hatch?

Oh - and if they hatch, do I add calcium to the water, and if so, how much? I do have RepCal calcium for my tortoise, if that works.

• Supporter

Hatch times are dependent on temperature so 2-4 weeks. It sounds ok. If you get white looking spots start to form on top its drying out and needs more humidity.

Hatch times are dependent on temperature so 2-4 weeks. It sounds ok. If you get white looking spots start to form on top its drying out and needs more humidity.

OK ... what can I do to increase humidity on the eggs if that happens? Tank temp fluctuates between about 70-75F. Thanks for your help!

• Supporter

A place with fine mist seems to work the best for me. So a bubble stone under the area with the eggs turned low so that you have just a little comming from the bursting bubbles would be ideal. Thar said even if you lose some on the outer edge the inside eggs seem to do well. So unless you was looking to keep a large amount of them id not worry about it. :)

Here is a photo of the eggs, one week later. I can see black dots inside some of the eggs. Unfortunately I accidentally burst one of the eggs, and it looks like one of them burst on its own as well. This won't harm the remaining eggs, will it?

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/ciccastars/20140420_104840_zpsb7a54ecb.jpg