Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

What items are entirely necessary for a happy, healthy goldfish?

What equipment is mandatory for a healthy goldfish? I'm making a list so I can progressively purchase the items as I get paid. So far what I've got is;

-30+ gallon aquarium

-Bubbler (wand or ornament)

-air pump

-Filter (10x GPH, 2x the size)

-heater (to keep temperature stable during winter and wc)

-frozen bloodworms

-veggies

-1/2 good quality pellet foods

Am I missing anything? I want my list to be completely complete and thoroughly thorough. As always, thanks for all the help!

Prime or Amquel

API Master Test kit. :)

Look on Amazon or eBay for either of these if your parents will let you buy online - much cheaper than what you will find in the stores! :)

I would also suggest a Python Water Changer so you don't have to haul buckets to do WCs. If not, then you will require a gravel vacuum and a couple of buckets. WCs should be done weekly at around 75-100% of the tank's volume.

Filter Media for the filter is a must, as you will not be using the cartridges likely to come with a filter. I recommend Marineland Rite-Size filter padding, as well as a biological media made from ceramic. Carbon is not necessary and should not be added to a goldfish tank.

Before you get your fish you will want to cycle your tank. Please grab a bottle of Janitorial Strength ammonia, or any ammonia that does not fizz when shaken. Also, please read here about the nitrogen cycle and how to fishlessly cycle your aquarium.

I don't believe an air wand/pump is a necessity either. If you like the looks of it, that is great. I have 2 tanks and neither have one at the moment. I sometimes add one in if I feel like changing the look a bit. They are handy to have around if you need to setup a QT tank, but not a must.

Carbon is not necessary but id not go so far as to say it should not be added. If it is changed regularly then it really poses no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Prime or Amquel

API Master Test kit. :)

Look on Amazon or eBay for either of these if your parents will let you buy online - much cheaper than what you will find in the stores! :)

Prime is water conditioner, right? And the test kit is to grab the levels of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia?

I would also suggest a Python Water Changer so you don't have to haul buckets to do WCs. If not, then you will require a gravel vacuum and a couple of buckets. WCs should be done weekly at around 75-100% of the tank's volume.

Filter Media for the filter is a must, as you will not be using the cartridges likely to come with a filter. I recommend Marineland Rite-Size filter padding, as well as a biological media made from ceramic. Carbon is not necessary and should not be added to a goldfish tank.

Before you get your fish you will want to cycle your tank. Please grab a bottle of Janitorial Strength ammonia, or any ammonia that does not fizz when shaken. Also, please read here about the nitrogen cycle and how to fishlessly cycle your aquarium.

I wish I could get a python water changer, but my parents are not okay with fish water going into the sink or tub... I'm not sure why, but they aren't going to budge on that one.

I will probably jump start my cycle with media from other tanks- I have two ten gallon betta tanks and a twenty tropical thst have both been set up for at least a year each.

Why can't I use the cartridges that come with the filter?

I don't believe an air wand/pump is a necessity either. If you like the looks of it, that is great. I have 2 tanks and neither have one at the moment. I sometimes add one in if I feel like changing the look a bit. They are handy to have around if you need to setup a QT tank, but not a must.

I thought lots of surface disruption was good for goldfish, and they needed bubblers?

The output of your filter should break the surface enough for the oxygen exchange.

As long as you have a good flow from your filter, you don't need air unless you have a sick fish. A heater is completely unnecessary. Although an abrupt change in temperature is harmful, the temperature range for common goldfish is ~33F-106F. For the more delicate of the fancies, it is probably more like 50F-90F. The fish appear to benefit from a daily cycle in temperatures.

You can use the cartridges that come with the filter, but it is cheaper to buy padding and just re wrap the cartridges yourself. I think there is a tip somewhere on here that explains what to do.

So bubbler and heater can be struck from the list. Prime, master test kit added.

Does filter media and cartridges need to be changed? I thought that would kill the cycle??

If you are on a tight budget, yes I would switch those items and get the others at a later date if needed/wanted.

Does filter media and cartridges need to be changed? I thought that would kill the cycle??

The ceramic media does not need to be changed, but the padding does need to be changed out periodically. It will break down or completely clog eventually.

If you are on a tight budget, yes I would switch those items and get the others at a later date if needed/wanted.

I already have the heater and bubbler... Those are the two that I don't need to buy. The prime and test kit will just add to my cost, but that's okay. This isn't really about the price, it's about the happiness of the animal I will be caring for.

The ceramic media does not need to be changed, but the padding does need to be changed out periodically. It will break down or completely clog eventually.

So the ceramic stuff holds the cycle. What does the padding do? Does it remove the debris?

Yes, the padding is for mechanical filtration. :D

Yes, the padding is for mechanical filtration. :D

I should have known that... After all, I've had fish for three years! -_-

I already have the heater and bubbler... Those are the two that I don't need to buy. The prime and test kit will just add to my cost, but that's okay. This isn't really about the price, it's about the happiness of the animal I will be caring for.

So the ceramic stuff holds the cycle. What does the padding do? Does it remove the debris?

All of the inside surfaces of your filter hold the cycle. I was reminded of that about 2 months ago when I added a new filter to the tank and cleaned the other one very thoroughly. I had a spike in my cycle that almost took out my fish, even though I was still using the old media. I just removed too much from the inside surfaces.

A lot of filters have a biomedia aswell. Like a ceramic media, biowheel or fibrous material thingy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The reason I say do not use cartridges is not only because removing them monthly can and will effect an establishing cycle, but because they contain carbon. It is expensive to keep changing out the cartridges monthly just so that you can replace the carbon as-needed, especially when it isn't necessary in a goldfish tank. We also want to remember that the carbon will suck up anything you need to put in the tank, like medicine. Losing or bumping your new cycle every time you have to treat with Prazi would get upsetting, and overall more costly than just using your own filter fiber. Plus, it takes months to wear out the fiber when you use a more economical source of fiber like the stuff I recommended, vs. the cartridges that will not last nearly as long because they aren't made to.

The Python does not have to be connected to a sink or tub to do its job. Many of us actually drop the ends of our Pythons out the door or window, weather permitting, and empty the tank that way, then hook it to the sink to fill back up. It turns into excellent water for plants, and I love watching my mother get excited to see her garden explode with life when I use aquarium water to water the plants. She even allows her indoor plants to be watered this way. Otherwise, weather not permitting, I just run my python directly into the nearest drain source. I don't really understand why your parents would be upset by the water flowing into a sink or tub, if they would allow you to go swimming in a natural body of water such as an ocean, lake or river. But that is their choice and you would be respectful of that even if you had the python. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

The reason I say do not use cartridges is not only because removing them monthly can and will effect an establishing cycle, but because they contain carbon. It is expensive to keep changing out the cartridges monthly just so that you can replace the carbon as-needed, especially when it isn't necessary in a goldfish tank. We also want to remember that the carbon will suck up anything you need to put in the tank, like medicine. Losing or bumping your new cycle every time you have to treat with Prazi would get upsetting, and overall more costly than just using your own filter fiber. Plus, it takes months to wear out the fiber when you use a more economical source of fiber like the stuff I recommended, vs. the cartridges that will not last nearly as long because they aren't made to.

The Python does not have to be connected to a sink or tub to do its job. Many of us actually drop the ends of our Pythons out the door or window, weather permitting, and empty the tank that way, then hook it to the sink to fill back up. It turns into excellent water for plants, and I love watching my mother get excited to see her garden explode with life when I use aquarium water to water the plants. She even allows her indoor plants to be watered this way. Otherwise, weather not permitting, I just run my python directly into the nearest drain source. I don't really understand why your parents would be upset by the water flowing into a sink or tub, if they would allow you to go swimming in a natural body of water such as an ocean, lake or river. But that is their choice and you would be respectful of that even if you had the python. :)

:goodpost

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Is there a topic anywhere on this site about how to... You know... Use the filter floss as filter media rather than the cartridge? I don't know if I'm saying that right, but hopefully you get my drift. Where can the ceramic stuff be purchased? The filter I will be purchasing is this one... http://www.petco.com/product/102601/Aqueon-QuietFlow-Aquarium-Power-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_4-_-Aqueon%20QuietFlow%20Aquarium%20Power%20Filters-102601 I don't know if that link worked, but hopefully... You can see it. Does it already have the filter stuff, like the ceramic things you suggested?

The python... Well, how long is the tubing? My room is on the second floor, and my dad is concerned about staining the side of the house with fish water. Plus the tank will be on the far side from the windows. Is there like... A 30 or 40 foot tubing? Cuse if so, that would probably work, and be amazing.

One thing to communicate to your parents is that with goldfish you'll need lots more water than with your tropical fish. Typically >50% of their water is changed weekly, and during the quaratine period you'll be doing 100% water changed daily. The quarantine period will be for several weeks. There is a thread on kokos about how to quarantine your goldfish (I suggest you read this). I suggest not quarantining a goldfish in your 30 gallon tank. So you'll want to add to your list a 10 gallon tank with air pump and air stone. Also some salt like Morton's canning and pickling salt (that is just plain old salt with no additives). On the quarantine thread you can read more about some other things you'll need (like prazi and other meds just to have on hand).

It may sound like a lot of work, but I think you'll love having goldfish! And we are here to help!

You can make the python 50 ft with the extension hose. As for the ceramic media, I use one bag from aquaclear and one from another manufacturer. Basically whatever will fit in the filter box. I have the aqeuon 55/75 and I just wrap the blue grids with filter floss, and stuff some in front where the water enters the filter area. I stuff it in front to quiet the water flow a bit.