Weird Cycling Questions

So I bought a Fluval 406. For a 90 or 72 bow front tank.

I'm not sure what size the tank is and I won't be sure until Monday.

I currently have my 55 gallon tank running. I was wondering if I can run my 406 on that tank until I get my other tank in the apartment. It might be for just Saturday through Monday but I'm just trying to see if that can help me get some bacteria?.

I always tend to screw up when it comes to cycling... I feel like I'm failing math sometimes. Not sure why!

The other idea is that I've always wanted to take out about 30 percent of the gravel in that tank because the layer is too thick. I was going to put in in that tank as well. But should I be rinsing it thoroughly?

The other question I have is can I put my Marineland filter on the new tank and run it there along with the new filter, some old and new gravel?i have a 206 running on my 55.... I'm gonna hush now. ... I'm confusing myself.

Are you replacing the 55 or starting a 2nd tank?

I'm starting a second one. My 55 has a fluval 205 and a marinelande 300.

For the other tank I have a fluval 406 still in box and I'm ordering an AQ 110

If you put that gravel from the old tank into the new tank without rinsing it off, it'll put some beneficial bacteria into your new tank for a jump-start. :)

Probably will have just enough to thinly coat the bottom thinly.

Edited by MissFree

You can start running your new filter on the established tank but it won't get a very significant amount of BBs in a few days. But it certainly won't hurt either.

You could transfer one of your old filters onto the new tank but you'd have to watch for a cycle bump in your old tank as you'd almost surely get one. :)

You can start running your new filter on the established tank but it won't get a very significant amount of BBs in a few days. But it certainly won't hurt either.

You could transfer one of your old filters onto the new tank but you'd have to watch for a cycle bump in your old tank as you'd almost surely get one. :)

Doesn't seem worth it...

So when it comes to changing filter pads. How would you change them to avoid messing up the cycle. I just used to change the two pads and that was it.

Now I'm pretty sure even that I was doing wrong.