Beach rocks for tank

I am planning to go down to the beach this weekend and want to get some rocks for the tanks if I can find any cool ones. Besides washing them thoroughly, is there anything else I should do to ensure there won't be any trouble? I currently have gravel in the tanks and am debating whether to leave it in with the rocks, or take some or all of the gravel out.

My boyfriend took the dogs out to the beach for the first time today and they LOVED it, except our Pomeranian wiggled out of her harness and leash and he almost lost her. Thank goodness he was able to catch up with her; she is a runner!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Those are really cute pictures!

I would drip vinegar on them, and see if they sizzle and fizz. If they do, they're not suitable for your tank.

I agree about the vinegar and make sure to wash them with a brush and super hot water.

Edited by jmetzger72

Those are really cute pictures!

I would drip vinegar on them, and see if they sizzle and fizz. If they do, they're not suitable for your tank.

I have never seen a dog sizzle and fizz from vinegar...

Oh, you're talking about the rocks :rofl3

Make sure to give them a good boil to leach out salts and disinfect.

I've done this, too. But, I am afraid to recommend to others as I have read that boiling rocks can cause them to explode depending on their composition :idont

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I guess I am too lazy, as well as not really understanding what marine things could possibly get to our goldfish. Some can, but I think it's way too rare. I would just make sure they get a good wash/soak, and then use.

I don't think that the gravels/rocks/sand etc that we buy from shops receive any kind of sterilizing treatment like this.

Someone tell me I am wrong, please. :rofl