Questions regarding cuttlebones

I'm wanting to purchase some cuttlebones to give my tank an extra calcium boost for the snails. I'm not having any problems with them growing or their shells, so it's more preventative I guess. First, where would I get cuttlebone? Just at the pet store, in the fish section? Secondly, would I break pieces off and put them in my filter or just drop them in the tank? Would it have any negative effect on my goldfish, since the snails share the tank?

• 2 weeks later...

I had my cuttlebone in for about a month before it got disgusting and covered with algae. I never saw anyone touch it. But maybe I am in the minority.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I had my cuttlebone in for about a month before it got disgusting and covered with algae. I never saw anyone touch it. But maybe I am in the minority.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My snails never ate the cuttlebones either, but I just left it in there for fun. In the past, I have used Wondershells to supply calcium, but now have gone the route of just upping the general hardness in my tanks to be about 180ppm, and roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of that is contributed by calcium.

Not that I have snails anymore. :rofl

Edited by dnalex