Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

"Nose" Inflamed and red

(I can't see the form, I'll try to get everything)

PH Tank - 7.5

PH Tap - 7.5

Ammonia Tank - 0

Ammonia Tap - 0

Nitrite Tank - 0

Nitrite Tap - 0

Nitrate Tank - 20-40 (About in the middle, climbed higher than normal this week I think)

Nitrate Tap - 0

Test Kit - API Drops

Tank Size - 80 Gallons/300 Litres

Fish - 6 between 2-6 inches

Water change Schedule - 80-90% each week

Last Water Change - Um, 10 days ago (THAT's why the Nitrate is so high! It's Wednesday, The week went by so quick I missed my usual water change! *facepalm*)

Filters - Cannister that does 2000LPH, A top filter that does 960LPH and a little internal filter that does 600LPH

Feeding - Hikari Lionhead, 2-3 times a day

Tank Med History - Last treated with Prazi about 3 months ago.

Meds on Hand: Epsom Salt, Aquarium Salt, Metro (2x 200gram tablets and some medicated gel food), Prazi

Symptoms - Everyone was looking fine last night, I didn't get to check them this morning before running out the door but I just went to them now and saw Bamboos 'nose' is looking inflamed and bright red. He has some red on his fins as well which he has had before but it looks different today, but he does seem to change his fin colours a lot, sometimes going all white and sometimes going red/orange. It's his nose I'm worried about. At the moment I have him in the 'lunchbox' I used to take the photos, if he needs to be quarantined I can set up a tub, otherwise I can put him back in the tank, he just gets stressed easily when held so I didn't want to move him more than I have to.

He is swimming around fine and eating well.

Photos:

1017413_10152118471463019_75414308614925

10153147_10152118471468019_1372108392694

Edited by FishyMandy

I wont be up much longer tonight and I didn't want to leave him in the lunchbox too long and my dad hates me setting up the QT unless I know for sure I have to so he is back in the tank for now

I hope he gets better soon. :hug 20-40 nitrates after 10 days :o how oftern do you clean the internal filter? I don't recommend them for goldfish tanks.

Ive only had it in there about 3 weeks. i put it in there as a supplementry filter when.i realized it was too big for my axie. i can take it out. my nitrates normally stay under 20 so this was surprising. unfortunately i couldnt do a wc tonight but they will have a big one tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Weren't you having troubles with the water quality in your axie tank? Maybe it was the filter :o I would take it out this week and see how the levels are next water change.

i ditched all the media it had in from the axie tank but when i get up i will take it out and do water change.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

It's still looking quite red this morning, not as 'angry' I guess. He is still acting fine. I have to go out to the doctors now but when I get back there will be waterchange

Let's bring salt up to 0.3%, increasing 0.1% stepwise every 12 hours until you reach 0.3%.

Do you have any medications, other than prazi/metronidazole? I am not anticipating treatment, but just want to be prepared. :)

I don't think I do but I will check my cupboard. I could probably get some if needed :)

Should he be in QT?

Edited by FishyMandy

I don't think I do but I will check my cupboard.

Should he be in QT?

It's up to you. Salt is gentle enough that everyone should be OK. :)

Ok water change done (Finally x.x I did 95%+ I think the fish were getting worried I wasn't going to leave them any xD)

0.1% salt dissolving now :)

I checked my medicine box and I also have a tiny bit of Pima fix and a partially used small bottle of Melafix

Great thanks. Hopefully nothing more than salt is needed. :)

They have been in the 0.1% salt for just over 12 hours and i just added the next lot to bring it to 0.2 (Though I'm starting to think I should have done it in QT, using up almost all my salt xD)

BUT ANYWAY. He is already looking a lot better! His 'nose' is only slightly red/pink at the moment and doesn't look inflamed anymore.

They have been in the 0.1% salt for just over 12 hours and i just added the next lot to bring it to 0.2 (Though I'm starting to think I should have done it in QT, using up almost all my salt xD)

BUT ANYWAY. He is already looking a lot better! His 'nose' is only slightly red/pink at the moment and doesn't look inflamed anymore.

Fantastic! :D

Slight change of plans. Let's increase to 0.2% only, although if you've gone to 0.3%, that too is not a problem.

You can still move him to QT if you like. :)

Fantastic! :D

Slight change of plans. Let's increase to 0.2% only, although if you've gone to 0.3%, that too is not a problem.

You can still move him to QT if you like. :)

Sounds good :D Thanks :)

how's he looking today? can we get a pic update?

how's he looking today? can we get a pic update?

He looks great!

10245475_10152122317458019_5090177351593

1517515_10152122317453019_24384568861057

Just let it never happened, and exactly what we hope to see! :D

Great job, you two!

I would keep him in the 0.2% salt for 2-3 more days, and then you are done. :)

Thanks Alex ^^

I think Bamboo is very sensitive to Nitrates. I'd been very busy, lost track of the days, missed a water change and the nitrates got high. I can normally tell when I've overdue for a Waterchange because his tail starts streaking slightly, in my rush the past couple weeks I didn't even notice until I saw him looking like Rudolph!

Shows the importance of slowing down and taking time to observe instead of just throwing food in each day :)

Edited by FishyMandy

It's come up again.. But on the other side. There also seems to be a white 'pimply' looking spot above it. Uploading pictures now. Unfortunately I forgot to get the water parameters before the water change today

1509019_10152143087293019_52002259558464

10269560_10152143087038019_4122134580310

923196_10152143087048019_435821548818305

Edited by FishyMandy

I assumed you had removed the salt long ago? If yes, then just do as you did before. :)

I'm thinking I'm going to QT him this time round, I know salt is gentle but I don't want to expose my other fish when they don't need it, plus a QT tub uses a lot less salt, But it will have to wait until after work tomorrow :( I forgot that my spare air pump broke so I'll need to get another one.

Phew that was a long busy day @_@

BUT He is now in a QT Tub with 0.1% salt, will up it again tomorrow morning.

It's looking a bit worse today but hoping the salt will help :(

Any thoughts on what it could actually be? At first I thought the nitrates but my nitrates have stayed under 20 since the first episode and this time around he has had no red streaks like he normally gets when the nitrates get over 20. Then I thought an injury, but it seems strange that he'd get the same thing on different sides of his nose as an injury, and I have no idea what he would have injured himself on.

As usual he is still acting fine, though he has learned that my hand coming near him means he is probably going to be picked up, and have photos taken and be moved :P So he doesn't like me much at the moment, he was all fidgety around my hand, now even more so :P

How goes, Mandy? I think that there is no question that's a bacterial infection. I'm just trying to see if he can deal with it himself. :)