Too Many Questions

yubonne

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right space (if not mods may move it). Okay here are my questions:

1) I am a goldfish plant VIRGIN! :teehee Unless that plastic one that came with my kit counts... I want to plant 1-3 REAL plants (or is that too many)? I have a 55 gal tank (tall not long), 2 fish-3 + yrs (?) or so, and a HOB Aquaclear filter system. Lighting is whatever came with the tank kit and some afternoon sun. Regular aquarium gravel on bottom. Suggestions for something easy to begin with. How to attach/where etc.? Looked at pictures and videos-still unsure of the how-to. Pics/video/articles/ suggestions would be helpful etc.????

2) I just bought a canister system that I haven't put together yet to help with the filtering issues. Should I wait with the plant idea and get this up and running first? If so, how long should I wait before introducing plants? The fish sleep together in a cave (PetSmart); if I plant plants around this will they take over the tank and not give the fish enough swimming room? Should the cave stay or go? Does adding plants stress the fish out or do they enjoy it?

3) Anyone on the forum willing to take this old lady through the process by the hand, step by step, PMing, crudely drawn illustrations, beating me with the wrench, etc. etc. Still learning.... :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone in advance! I do more reading here than posting :grouphug

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right space (if not mods may move it). Okay here are my questions:

1) I am a goldfish plant VIRGIN! :teehee Unless that plastic one that came with my kit counts... I want to plant 1-3 REAL plants (or is that too many)? I have a 55 gal tank (tall not long), 2 fish-3 + yrs (?) or so, and a HOB Aquaclear filter system. Lighting is whatever came with the tank kit and some afternoon sun. Regular aquarium gravel on bottom. Suggestions for something easy to begin with. How to attach/where etc.? Looked at pictures and videos-still unsure of the how-to. Pics/video/articles/ suggestions would be helpful etc.????

If you are looking for some easy plants that goldfish are not terribly likely to eat I would recommend anubias and crypts. Both come in a number of varieties so you can get a bunch of different looks. I have both in gravel and they do quite well. My original anubias I tied to the driftwood in my tank. It eventually rooted to the driftwood and is doing even better than the bits in gravel. Others have glued their anubias to large river rocks. As for how many you can have that really depends on how many you want. I also have a 55g (36"x18"x19") and I have 6 crypts (2 varieties), a melon sword, an amazon sword, three anubias, two java ferns and about half a dozen vals. There's still plenty of room for the fish and the plants stabilize my nitrate levels to boot! I even would love to add some more crypts to the tank!

I know I've mentioned several other plants in my tank, but in my experience they're slightly more finicky than the anubias ans crypts.

As for your lighting levels you can certainly upgrade to a full spectrum bulb and the plants would love it, however, again in my own experience, these two plants will tolerate regular bulbs.

2) I just bought a canister system that I haven't put together yet to help with the filtering issues. Should I wait with the plant idea and get this up and running first? If so, how long should I wait before introducing plants? The fish sleep together in a cave (PetSmart); if I plant plants around this will they take over the tank and not give the fish enough swimming room? Should the cave stay or go? Does adding plants stress the fish out or do they enjoy it?

I can't comment on the canister filter as I've only used hob's and internals. I do want to make a recommedation about the cave though. If it were my tank I'd remove the cave. There are several reasons for this. Firstly anything hollow can harbour bacteria and other nasties that may make your fish unwell. Secondly the edges on the opening may (and without feeling it for myself I can't say for sure) scrape the fishes scales or fins causing injury. Additionally goldfish grow so quickly that they may rapidly become too large to fit in the cave, again causing injury as they attempt to enter. Sometimes I have felt that my fish have seemed to grow noticeably overnight.

3) Anyone on the forum willing to take this old lady through the process by the hand, step by step, PMing, crudely drawn illustrations, beating me with the wrench, etc. etc. Still learning.... :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone in advance! I do more reading here than posting :grouphug

Hope this is helpful. I'm sure you'll have more advice very soon :) Koko's members are nothing if not knowledgeable and helpful. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you BronwynH! I've been thinking about removing the cave for awhile now. A few weeks ago my veiltail Cali had a sore near her tail that I thought may have been caused by a scrape on the cave. It has healed now thank goodness! She and her cave-pal Po (my moor) sometimes battle for position in the cave. Actually it's gotten to be too small for both of them to fit comfortably together anymore so maybe it's time for a change. :)

I'm glad Cali's all healed now. :) I'd love to see photos of her and Po if you have any. That's the other thing about Koko's, we're all addicted to photos! I'm sure they love having the 55g all to themselves. I wish you the best of luck planting your tank and getting things set up the way you want.

You can never really have too many plants. There is a logical limit, but I don't see you planting more plants than there is water. Since the lighting that came with the tank is more than likely on the lower end, I would suggest things like anubias, hygrophila difformis (wisteria) and java fern. The anubias and java fern can be secured to some rocks or driftwood using fishing line or super glue. If you use fishing line, just remember not to tie things too tightly. You don't want to damage the plants' rhizome. The wisteria can either float or be planted. It is a fairly hardy and fast growing stem plant, and survives under most conditions.

I imagine having the canister filter set up first would be of greater importance. Really you can plant and set everything up at once, there is no reason I can think of that limits you from planting and filtering. I would be careful with hollow decorations. Goldfish can be clumsy and do get quite large. As they grow they may become trapped. Hollow decor also traps debris and can stagnate water.

The plants will not take over the tank if you treat them like any other garden plant: look after them, feed them if you want, give them a good pruning when they have grown too much.