Sign in to follow this  
MissFree

Filtration Suggestions

Hello! Hope everyone is well along with their pet family.

My question is about filtration.

I bought a bowfont aquarium. The ad said its 90 gallons but the more I looked at the picture I have I want to believe the tank is about 72 gallons. I have it in the basement of my apartment complex and I'm just waiting for a friend to sand and varnish it for me. It has some mold spores and I can see that the wood has lightened in color from sitting out in the sun.

With all that aside, I already purchased a Fluval 406. I want to know what other type of filtration you all would recommend.

I also have a 55 gallon tank and I'm thinking about upping the filtration on that one as well. It currently runs a Fluval 206 and a Marineland Bio-wheel 300 that came with the aquarium kit.

What do you suggest?

In the mean time... I'm also thinking about getting a biorb 105 ... The 28 gallon one. I was gonna put that on my nightstand. Housing some plates or guppies. Just something different. I was also thinking about getting one of those other bibles for a beta fish ... I don't know. I'm lonely. Guess I might as well say I'm getting a morkie or yorkie apso in August or October. ....

The Fluval 406 is a very good start, and if you add the other two filters, you will have plenty of filtration. It's not a bad plan! Congratulations on the new tank, and I look forward to seeing it. :)

I am not a fan of these spherical tanks, but my objections are really just aesthetics based, although others may dislike these tanks for other reasons.

I'm sorry you are feeling lonely. I hope you will be able to make friends here and IRL. :hug

The Fluval 406 is a very good start, and if you add the other two filters, you will have plenty of filtration. It's not a bad plan! Congratulations on the new tank, and I look forward to seeing it. :)

I am not a fan of these spherical tanks, but my objections are really just aesthetics based, although others may dislike these tanks for other reasons.

I'm sorry you are feeling lonely. I hope you will be able to make friends here and IRL. :hug

Alex what kind of HoB filters would you recommend. I'm looking for something that's not too noisy and can offer the most filtration in addition to the canister filters. I was actually looking at the Marineland 400. I'm not familiar with anything else. I was also looking to put a spray bar on the fluval 406 and do it on the other one as soon as I get settled.

Filtration sound good :) Sounds like a cute dog in your future!

BIG HUG to MissFree :bighug

Filtration sound good :) Sounds like a cute dog in your future!

Thanks ladies. I work at 911 so I'm hella bummed out when I get home. Lots of hours spent away from civilization.

Would you recommend the AQ110 or the Marineland 400?

I can offer you what's worth half an opinion haha.

I had an emperor, which is similar to a marineland (if you're talking about the one with a biowheel). I liked it a lot and also had an AC70 on there, but found that I didn't clean out the Emperor nearly as often as I should because it was such a pain in the butt! There is very little room in there for media and in my opinion, is just not that easy to set up. I absolutely prefer my AC to the biowheel type, simply because it's not a hassle to clean/put together and it's so easy to toss in something when I need to.

My other piece of advice, and this one is totally sound: Come chat in the LOTP! :D

I can offer you what's worth half an opinion haha.

I had an emperor, which is similar to a marineland (if you're talking about the one with a biowheel). I liked it a lot and also had an AC70 on there, but found that I didn't clean out the Emperor nearly as often as I should because it was such a pain in the butt! There is very little room in there for media and in my opinion, is just not that easy to set up. I absolutely prefer my AC to the biowheel type, simply because it's not a hassle to clean/put together and it's so easy to toss in something when I need to.

My other piece of advice, and this one is totally sound: Come chat in the LOTP! :D

Ha. Ok I'm sold on the AQ. I just had a slow moment. What is the LOTP?

Haha, whatever you choose I'm sure it'll be fine!

LOTP is a game thread open to subscribers. It's just random :blah: but fish talk is off limits! Koko picks a time for it to stop, and whoever is Last One To Post gets a medal. :D