911 QT similar to GreenTea's

ahardeay

If they do they have a long QT ahead. I still want to take a scraping from one and one from a fish in another of my tanks to compare to each other so I can see if things are present in the QT that aren't in the regular tanks. I am worried about the new ones carrying something that could get my preexisting fish. Is that a possibility?or am I being super paranoid?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always the possibility, but the longer you wait out in QT, the lesser the chances. :)

There are some serious chronic conditions, some of which I suspect many of our goldfish carry, but we have no way of detecting things like that at this point.

Well I was never contacted again about lab access :(

But the two left seem fine! :) How long do I need to keep them at 90F? It's been 5 days so far.

Did you call/email the prof? That stinks.

Ya I emailed him again on Thursday. He might get back to me but he doesn't seem to understand that this is an urgent matter :(

Typical professor, all theory and no results! Sorry Alli. Glad yours are doing better.

Well I was never contacted again about lab access :(

But the two left seem fine! :) How long do I need to keep them at 90F? It's been 5 days so far.

With temps at 90, I think one life cycle is about 5 days. So, if they are not showing any adverse effects from the heat, I would leave it on for 10 more days.

I'm glad they are doing well, and am sorry that you were not able to contact the prof.

The last two I have are still good. I still have them at 90 and eating mms. They are super active and happy. Would it be ok for me to prazi them at this temp? I wouldn't mind getting a couple rounds done on them.

The seller told me that he would send me a new order of 4 fish for free plus shipping cost even if these two survive and whenever i am ready for them. This is because I told him how much i had spent on medications to try and save them and that I had them in a QT tank with their own new waterchanger. I explained how there was no chance of cross contamination and that I was keeping my params perfect with 0 ammonia nitrite or nitrate and pH 7.6. i am worried that the same thing might happen again though. He said he would set some aside and save them for me so I am hoping if there is an illness he will see it and realize there is a problem in his tanks. The other issue is that he might not be seeing the illness because it happens over the stress of repeated shipping and poor water quality in transit. All 4 fish were in one bag when they arrived. Mine did arrive late and that wasn't his fault, but if they were bagged seperatley or at least in 2s it wouldn't have been so bad. I did arrange for faster shipping next time and I will ask him to bag them in fresh declotinated water and 2 per bag. I hope that will help but I will be prepared to treat right away this time. I think I might take the same approach I did with the ones from the store I have gotten black chus from in the past and just start them on mms on arrival.

I'm glad they are doing well. :)

Prazi should work fine at this temp, although you must keep this in mind if you want to treat. Because you are creating conditions where dissolved oxygen levels are lowered (increased water temp) as well as possible gill function decreased (prazi treatment in affected fish), you may want to keep make sure the tank is very well aerated, and watch them carefully for adverse signs.

Other than that, I think you should be OK. :)

Yaaa... It's shut now, but ts definitely a deformed fluke mouth, one side is all weird making that grumpy face :( he would still be fine as a breeder assuming they survive the QT, but now he has "character". I have prazi pro in now.

You'd be surprised, Koko bad his mouth stuck open for more than a day and I don't see any defect. I think slightly but it went away as it healed and he grew. So it might not always look how it looks :) this was as much as he could close it for at least 2 days. null_zps48b93cd9.png

And this is him now DSC01869_zps67e0f6e3.jpg

Thanks Mikey, sadly his mouth is deformed now. It's shut but cannot close properly, the top right part kind of collapsed in, I'm not sure if I'm describing it well, but it is caused by flukes, I had it in my very first spawn from not treating with prazi soon enough. He has a sort of sideways grump mouth, he is eating well though and they seem to be handling the prazi and heat just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright they were in the tank at 90 for more than 10 days and I have reduced it slowly back to room temperature. They have been in prazi and are looking good! Since its been more than 2 weeks of nothing would it be ok to move them in with my other fish? I would be monitoring the tank they go in very close of course. I will also continue prazi in the next tank, all my tanks are having rounds done.