Charlie Has A Prolapsed Vent

If it wasn't for bad luck... :(

This is in the 90 gallon w/ 29 gallon sump-totally cleaned and nuked. It has not even cycled yet. No sign of ammonia as of yesterday.

Today is the first day this has showed up. He/she acts fine otherwise. Active and eating.

060.jpg

057.jpg

042.jpg

035.jpg

Hi Carole,

I'm so sorry. :(

Is the vent red? I am thinking you might try the same combination as you did for Van, but let's discuss this a bit more.

Yes it is red. And that's just it. He was in the qt for the full treatment. :(

When I googled "can a fish get a prolapse?" a video popped up about hexamita.

Any infection that affects the digestive tract eventually can cause prolapse. It can also be pseudomonas, Aeromonas, or even viral in origin.

I really try very hard not to be that specific (unless I have clear reasons), but given that there have been issues with the tankmates and that metro + nitro seem to work, that's the basis for my suggestion to go with that. :)

Good luck, and keep us updated, please. :)

Going to give this a go ~ Nitrofuracin for 10-14 days, and 1/4 tspn epsom salt for three days. Big water changes daily, and replacement of meds after.

Add metronidazole as well, Carole.

I can't Alex.

Going to give this a go ~ Nitrofuracin for 10-14 days, and 1/4 tspn epsom salt for three days. Big water changes daily, and replacement of meds after.

Add metronidazole as well, Carole.

I can't Alex. He has already been through a whole course of metro. Hitting him with another might damage his kidneys.

Hi Carole,

I misunderstood and thought that you hasn't treated him with metro already.

May I ask for how long? Metrondiazole treatment courses go for a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 30. Metro is also not one of the kidney damaging drugs, like oxolinic acid or kanamycin.

How long has he been on the nitrofurazone?

Thanks.

Hi Alex, Charlie was in the metro and nitro for 11 days, one or{two?} days out, now back in for a day in the nitrofuracin, without the metro.

Thank you for the clarification, and good luck! :hug

Thank you Alex. Today he seems fine, although the redness is still there. It is more difficult to see it in the green water. No pellets for now. I am feeding a few bloodworms, but mostly vegetable matter. Blanched cilantro, romaine lettuce. He is still active , eating, and swimming.