Glass top for a 40G tank?

Does anyone here have one? If so, what size exactly did you get and where? I've been looking online, but can't seem to find one that would fit a 40 gallon tank. I HAVE to get a glass top if I go with the 40G.:(

Yep, they make them. They are 36 X 18. I think mine is a Versa Top. :idont I don't know if I've seen them online. I got mine at a local pet store. Do you have any non chain stores around?

So you got the 40? :lol2

Not yet, but if I get the 40, it has to go in a room with birds, hence the top. Do you remember how much yours cost? I may have to get plexiglass or something like that and drill holes in it, if I can't find one.

Yep, they make them. They are 36 X 18. I think mine is a Versa Top. :idont I don't know if I've seen them online. I got mine at a local pet store. Do you have any non chain stores around?

Does the 36x18 cover the whole top?

I don't remember how much it was. I bought it almost 2 years ago . . .

It leaves about an inch or so in the back to allow for filters but it also comes with a plastic piece that you can cut to fit and cover the space between the filters. Does that make sense? I can take a pic of what I mean on my 75 if you'd like. :D

I don't remember how much it was. I bought it almost 2 years ago . . .

It leaves about an inch or so in the back to allow for filters but it also comes with a plastic piece that you can cut to fit and cover the space between the filters. Does that make sense? I can take a pic of what I mean on my 75 if you'd like. :D

Is the plastic piece big enough to cover the whole length of the back? I don't want the birds to be able to get underneath it easily.

A pic would be good. Thanks!

Edited by TikiLola

Yes. It actually is as long as the glass top. When you cut it to fit your filter(s), you will have leftover plastic. I don't know how big your bird is but I don't think any bird could fit as long as you cut it to fit quite closely. :idont

My birds are small, I'm worried about them getting under it. :blink: They like to burrow and hide under/in things.

Fynn, the pale blue one, likes to squish himself in the gap under the closet door and hang out in the closet. :huh:

They ALL like to chew thin plastic. :rolleyes:

032-1-1.jpg

(Yes, that is the same container I had Gumdrop swimming around in) :P

Edited by TikiLola

Dr. Foster & Smith carry that size for $ 28.99

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3790&pcatid=3790

They also offer free shipping on orders over $ 49. As they are also very cheap with things like Prime, or food, filter media, test kit etc, it would be worth to do to a tiny bit of shopping and take advantage of the free shipping :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3790&pcatid=3790

They also offer free shipping on orders over $ 49. As they are also very cheap with things like Prime, or food, filter media, test kit etc, it would be worth to do to a tiny bit of shopping and take advantage of the free shipping :)

Thanks Fang! Very good to know. I have never looked for them online. I will keep this in mind if other members are having a difficult time finding one locally. :D

Thanks Fang! Very good to know. I have never looked for them online. I will keep this in mind if other members are having a difficult time finding one locally. :D

I've bought several online with no breakage :)

I found it a while ago because I eventually want to change the top on one of my tanks and get a proper glass top for it, if possible. The local stores here charge WAY more for large glass tops than Drs. F&S.

Ooooh their colors are so pretty. :o

I do think you could cut the plastic close enough the they couldn't get in though. :idont

Chewing is another story. :rofl3

They def could chew through that, I think. Hopefully I can see one in person.

The plastic on the 40 is a bit thicker than on the 75 cuz the 75 has 2 tops, one on each side of the brace. The glass and the plastic are both thicker on the 40 top. But they still might be able to chew through it. :idont

You have to be careful which top you get. I have a glass top from a 38G which was 36 inches like the 40B, but it is about a 1/4 inch too long. You need to get the same brand top as your tank. I found out the hard way. You also need to be sure that the top you get isn't made for a tank with a brace in the middle if you don't have a brace. Mine does not.

They def could chew through that, I think. Hopefully I can see one in person.

Would wrapping some aluminum foil around the edges of the plastic deter them? Maybe using some plastic craft canvas to build a box for some plants and keeping the plastic submerged? If all else fails, I know lots of LFSs sell the plastic strips, as does F&S.