Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Pond Upgrade... yeah, that quick. Need advice on liner.

We found a good brace for Sean's pond, so hopefully it won't bow when we fill it tonight or tomorrow. He cut the viewing window and siliconed it, so we have to wait for that to cure. I really hope this works, as he has made it so the liner certainly can not be reused at all. It's Plio-bonded to the glass, has a big hole cut out of it, is spray-foamed to the wood and to itself in a couple of places. :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

I've been thinking about your pond upgrade, and I had an idea. The reason things are so difficult is that you want one pond to go inside and out. It could be easier and cheaper to make two ponds. Outside, you can use cement blocks. To make an approximately 4'x5'x16" pond, you need 32 blocks. You could use these or these. The 4" wide ones are lighter, which is nice, but if you want to sit on the edge of the pond, the 8 inch ones are better. They are also more stable. I have used both. While cement blocks aren't that pricey new, you can very likely go on CL and find unused, excess blocks for $0.50 or $0.75 each.

Construction is very simple -- two tiers of 16 blocks each. I would dig down so the first tier is below ground, like I did in this pond.

DSCF0118.jpg

This one is two and a half tiers, with only the top one above ground level. (The shape I had here proved to be impossible to line, so I had to convert the zigzags to a diagonal line.)

DSCF0126.jpg

Note that I said "simple," not easy. You have to level the ground for the blocks, and that is hard work. But once you have the blocks stacked, just line it, and you have a pond.

I had planned on having Sean's plus an indoor, since I do not have my own house to build in the yard of.

OK, that's good.

Now I just have to come up with a good, easily moved indoor setup. :)

So tomorrow I am going to be special-ordering a laguna 127 gallon tub from my LFS as a base for my indoor pond. Is there anything you think that would be needed to keep that inside nicely, as well as maybe do a good surround for it? We planned on building something and I will continue to want to execute that plan, so any advice would be extremely appreciated, especially since my initial plan has gone horribly awry very quickly! :rofl

susapuqe.jpgugy2yrun.jpg3y5azugy.jpga8ytudyb.jpgdavurequ.jpg

I got the Laguna tub.

Also here's some shots of the pond and some of the fish. Merlot the telescope got caught in a fold in the liner and really scraped his eyes and back up badly, so I am just watching him heal for now. It is as bad as it looks. :( But he is otherwise healthy and active so I don't worry too much.

You really got a Laguna tub!!!!! You wouldn't believe how many people have given up trying to find one. That will make a great pond.

I wanted one so bad to use for a bog filter a couple of years ago. They had 60 g tubs cheap on Amazon, I ordered two, the order was confirmed and nothing happened. Then the order just disappeared from my account. I inquired and they said they were trying to get more, but didn't know when it would happen so they were just cancelling all the orders. But I could go on the notification list. When they notified me 3 months later, the price had doubled.

The pond looks pretty cool. I hope it holds up for you.

Go to any local laguna dealers (you can find it on their website) and order it through the store. That is what I did, and had it within a week. :) My LFS is a Laguna dealer and was able to just call it in. I paid only $119.99 for the 127g size. It was much cheaper than the almost $400 thepondoutlet.com wanted for one.

I hope the glass door pond holds up too. It's cool but it is also 3ft deep. Tsumo's doing okay in it despite the floating, but I hope he can hold out the rest of the summer.

I plan on letting my stepfather have the filter that's currently on it (the red and black pot filter) and just building another in a square black container for that laguna tub. I already bought a 1" uniseal for a new one. Sean wants to raise a ton of guppies in the glass door pond in the winter to use as fishing bait when he goes ice fishing this year, or he is thinking of using it to corn-raise Bullhead Catfish in for dinners. I thought that would be great for him either way.

Go to any local laguna dealers (you can find it on their website) and order it through the store. That is what I did, and had it within a week. :) My LFS is a Laguna dealer and was able to just call it in. I paid only $119.99 for the 127g size. It was much cheaper than the almost $400 thepondoutlet.com wanted for one.

I hope the glass door pond holds up too. It's cool but it is also 3ft deep. Tsumo's doing okay in it despite the floating, but I hope he can hold out the rest of the summer.

I plan on letting my stepfather have the filter that's currently on it (the red and black pot filter) and just building another in a square black container for that laguna tub. I already bought a 1" uniseal for a new one. Sean wants to raise a ton of guppies in the glass door pond in the winter to use as fishing bait when he goes ice fishing this year, or he is thinking of using it to corn-raise Bullhead Catfish in for dinners. I thought that would be great for him either way.

You have a remarkable LFS. The website gives me a list of every big box pet store in the area, all of which carry some Laguna products, and not a one will order a tub. I did hear from someone on a forum who found a store in south FL who ordered one for him.

That sounds like a bunch of unfriendly jerks to me. If you're a certified Laguna Dealer, why not take advantage of it and make some money? :idont

Looks great, Chelsea :)

I think Bluefish is the exception. They really excel in customer service and go out of their way to get you what you want :)