Holy Jelly Beans! FRY!

Flipper

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a video on YouTube...I think the guy sells brine shrimp eggs so I assume he knows what he's talking about. His recipe: 1 Liter of water (I've been adding 6-8 drops of Amquel to it). 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt ( I bought the great value stuff at Wal-Mart ). A pinch of baking soda (I've been using about a quarter teaspoon). Finally, 1/2 teaspoon of eggs. I've been aerating and keeping the hatchery under a desk lamp, all has gone well so far.

Thanks LabRat and Lisa and Erin :)

I started my second batch at 0530 this am. Fins crossed that well have swimmers in 12 hrs :nana

You don't need water conditioner cuz they won't hatch for 24 hours and it will be dechlorinated by then. You need baking soda if your KH is low. :)

Air stone and some heat are key. :D

I saw recommendations for and against using dechlorinator. I understand what you are saying about chlorine but I don't know if the same applies to chloramine. In the end I decided brine shrimp eggs are expensive and a few drops of Amquel aren't. I opted for a cheap insurance policy. :)

You don't need water conditioner cuz they won't hatch for 24 hours and it will be dechlorinated by then. You need baking soda if your KH is low. :)

I saw recommendations for and against using dechlorinator. I understand what you are saying about chlorine but I don't know if the same applies to chloramine. In the end I decided brine shrimp eggs are expensive and a few drops of Amquel aren't. I opted for a cheap insurance policy. :)
They are? I get mine for a little more than 2 bucks a container.

-on tapatalk-

-on tapatalk-

I bought a 6 gram vial at my local fish store for $7.00. I know you can get them cheaper buying in larger packages but even buying in bulk, a 1 lb. can is over a hundred bucks.

Gotcha. :)

Locally mine were $6 I think but amazon had them waaaaay cheaper I think. :idont

Gotcha. :)

Locally mine were $6 I think but amazon had them waaaaay cheaper I think. :idont

Amazon.com is so much better than Amazon.ca.

-on tapatalk-

I bought a 6 gram vial at my local fish store for $7.00. I know you can get them cheaper buying in larger packages but even buying in bulk, a 1 lb. can is over a hundred bucks.

I would suggest buying online then. Tastyworms has a good price at $3.49 for a 6gm vial, and Amazon has several really good prices. I like to order when I am out of a couple other things to offset the shipping.

Guess who successfully hatched bbs for her starving 6 day old fry!!! :Jig:

This very giddy aquarist :D

Thanks for all your help everyone :grouphug

It takes a village to help Aubrey :rofl3

Aubrey you can always get the frozen bbs hakari makes them that's what I use with my fry so if you don't want to go through the trouble of whether or not your bbs will hatch next time there's always that option (; my petsmart carries them in a freezer by the fish section.

With luck, you'll be helping me one day! :D:hug

I'd love to help but I'm probably not the best one :idont however, I still have live fry :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It's been 10 days since the fry hatched. I took a couple pics of one that I accidentally sucked up during today's wc. They are double tailed and it is visible to the stupid eye. .. like mine :rofl

:o Molly said the fry are boring :wa

:rofl3

2y8yrapa.jpg

tasy3u5y.jpg

PS. Using my last half teaspoon of bbs tonight :o

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by Flipper

:wa :wa :wa Molly!! :yikes

How did you go through the BBS so fast? :o Do you have more? :idont

They are looking good. :D

No I don't, but I'm gonna get some and order gel food from tasty worms. :peeka

What gel do you think will be better for fry? :hmm

Aubrey, those are really cute fry.

How many do you have now?

...sounds like they are already eating you out of food :P

Thanks Mike :)

I'm still unsure how many I have cuz they hide in the plants and rocks, but I'd guesstimate between 25-35 :idont