Dry Food for Floaters

BeginAgain

I've been feeding my fish NLS Thera+ A for a while but one of my fish is starting to have problems with floating. Wasabi (an oranda) is prone to floating so I have to feed peas and fast, usually at least once, sometimes twice, a week. I should be going to this big fish store soon, and I'm going to look at getting some Repashy (probably Super Green, maybe Soilent Green) if they have it. If not should I get some Omega One pellets or Hikari Lionhead? What is best for floaty fish? (I'd prefer it to be prepared not gel)

You're going to have to try a variety of foods to see what works for her. With floaty fish, there really is no 'cure all' for the issue. Once they float, they always will be prone to it. Tsumo is floaty, and what helped him was not food but a shallow home. He is never in more than 12" of water. But even then he sometimes still has episodes if I overfeed or he gets stressed.

Since you are feeding such a good food, I would try adding more variety and using something other than peas as your laxative as they have been known to cause gas in fish. You could keep going on the same route with greens by using kale or spinach that has been blanched, or other veggies such as fresh red leaf lettuce. The best veggie options for fish are actually sea veggies like Nori (Sushi seaweed) or other kinds of algae. Or you could do as I have been and give a bloodworm meal at the end of the day every day. All of those things are options. Repashy did not help Tsumo for long at all, and Super Green actually made him float worse than anything I have fed so far. I believe it was because that food was fermenting in his gut, as many vegetables tend to do according to my experience trying to get Tsumo under control. Each fish is different, though, so note that my experiences may not always work for every fish out there. Right now he is actually on ProGold and NLS Thera+A 1mm pellets. The former makes lots of fish float but he doesn't seem effected as long as I balance it with the worms.

That all may seem confusing, but to put it simply, there is no real cure food for this. You will have to learn what works for your fish.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll try Omega One pellets (I like the brand and use it for most of my fish) but if I find something else I might try that. I'm running low on bloodworms so I'll pick some up soon but the store is about 1 1/2 hour from here so it would thaw and refreeze, which wouldn't be good. So I might have to hold off for a week or so.

How is the HBH food? I don't know if they have one specifically for goldfish, but the ingredients look pretty good. Has anyone tried it, particularly for floaters?

Edited by BeginAgain

What helped my fish is going to a all gel diet. I haven't tried Repashy again yet but I have made Alex's gel food for floaties and it has helped my fish. I also feed blood worms and brine shrimp

I think I'm going to try Omega One. I know a lot of people hate the ethoxyquin but here is a great (and short) article on preservatives as well as other nutrition. It's pretty interesting. I'll see about getting FBW today, we are going out anyway. If not, the ice chest would work. Don't know why I didn't think of that, we keep fish in insulated lunch boxes when we get them if it's too cold out, so they are just about always in our car.

And she's floaty again.UGH! :madrant I just gave some FBW to help. At least the food was only $5. I'll try to get some stuff for a gel food soon. How do you store it in the freezer? I've made it before but it stuck together like crazy. Can you bake them into like pellets?

I'm going to this big store this week and they have a lot of obscure stuff so I'll look there at some prepared foods. Or if I make a gel food I think I'll make my own but how do you proportion it so they get what they need but not too much of it? And how much agar agar to other ingredients?

Edited by BeginAgain