Sign in to follow this  
jmetzger72

Sand, Gravel or Bare Experiment

As for the experiment, your input has been very helpful. I have decided to narrow the parameters. I will let everybody know when I start the experiment. Thanks :)

After reading through this, I started thinking about my cat. I just had him into the vet and got the speech about how I should let him outside. Norwegian cats go outside. I'm pretty sure they love it. Outside is nice.

In the U.S., I didn't know outdoor cats. My social circle was filled with liberal, humanities higher-ed folk born with organic produce in their hands. They went to pet rescues and submitted to interviews in order to adopt cats that never went outside. We were told that they would kill song birds, get into fights, get run over, get diseases, die early.

In Norway, people just get a cat from the neighbour, feed it and let it run around. The cats probably die earlier with smiles on their faces.

Should I let the cat out?

When I lived in North Carolina, we let our cats out during the day and brought them in at night. But, we had a lot of land.

We could try that with the fish :)

I have lately been hearing a lot about sand or not in a tank.

I won't go into much detail, but I have noticed it comes down to one thing...in my opinion, of course.

Do you wish to make a close-to natural environment for your fish with sand, rocks, wood, and plants?

This comes with the fact that, like in nature, things can happen to hurt the fish, no?

Or would you prefer an environment that reduces chances of swallowing sand/bottom sitting...or whatever this whole issue with sand is about?

I guess it is about mimicing nature or bubblewrapping the fish.

Now, if your choice is based on esthetics, then none of this applies, right?

I don't consider myself an expert, so I just go with what I like visualy and take the best care I can in keeping things clean.

Let nature do the rest.

I have lately been hearing a lot about sand or not in a tank.

I won't go into much detail, but I have noticed it comes down to one thing...in my opinion, of course.

Do you wish to make a close-to natural environment for your fish with sand, rocks, wood, and plants?

This comes with the fact that, like in nature, things can happen to hurt the fish, no?

Or would you prefer an environment that reduces chances of swallowing sand/bottom sitting...or whatever this whole issue with sand is about?

I guess it is about mimicing nature or bubblewrapping the fish.

Now, if your choice is based on esthetics, then none of this applies, right?

I don't consider myself an expert, so I just go with what I like visualy and take the best care I can in keeping things clean.

Let nature do the rest.

Yes, this experiment has nothing to do with aesthetics, ease of maintenance or the opinion of the keeper. It is simply to see what the fish seem to prefer, if anything.

I agree that in nature, risk is a natural part of life. If we take ourselves for example: Many of our choices involve risk, but we make them anyway because they enhance our way of life :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Agree with you Jared.

I have done some fool things in the name of enjoyment...but I don't think it enhanced my life :rofl

That was what I was trying to get at, Mike, in my kitty analogy. And for the record, I've done plenty of fool things that did enhance my life :)

Susanne, I bet you were a riot... probably had a leather jacket and a motorcycle too :P

After reading through this, I started thinking about my cat. I just had him into the vet and got the speech about how I should let him outside. Norwegian cats go outside. I'm pretty sure they love it. Outside is nice.

In the U.S., I didn't know outdoor cats. My social circle was filled with liberal, humanities higher-ed folk born with organic produce in their hands. They went to pet rescues and submitted to interviews in order to adopt cats that never went outside. We were told that they would kill song birds, get into fights, get run over, get diseases, die early.

In Norway, people just get a cat from the neighbour, feed it and let it run around. The cats probably die earlier with smiles on their faces.

Should I let the cat out?

my cat is an outdoor cat. Having an outdoor cat certainly raises the risk of being hit by a car if you are in an urban area or running across a predator in a rural area. From what I have read outdoor cats generally have a shortened lifespan.

Our cat is now 17 yrs old (I thought she was 13, but bf did the math just recently and she is 17). She was a barn kitten and wouldn't tolerate being an indoor cat even if we tried. She will meow at the door incessantly until someone lets her out ;) She has always been healthy and really never needed vet care besides basic vaccines.

I think it is up to each owner :idont you have to weigh the pros and cons I guess.

Susanne, I bet you were a riot... probably had a leather jacket and a motorcycle too :P

Wrong genre, Mike. Mohawk, black lipstick and a subway pass.

Jess, I'm in the process of convincing the children to let the cat out.

Wrong genre, Mike. Mohawk, black lipstick and a subway pass.

Jess, I'm in the process of convincing the children to let the cat out.

Just don't forget the flea preventative first! :)

Regarding "happiness." Right now I have two fish in a QT with a bare bottom, and to ME subjectively they don't look happy. Happy goldfish TO ME are nose down picking through the substrate. These guys in the bare bottom just kind of swim back and forth like "Well, guess I'll go over there now... and back over there." So I really think this is an interesting experiment. :)

I agree. My experience w/ a bare-bottomed tank was that the fish seemed listless. They had little to do. So I went to TMS and they sift through it constantly.

I have a semi bare bottom tank and the goldfish like it. I have pots for my plants that way i can easily move them around. In my opinion fish like us have a sense of curiosity, so they enjoy having somthing in the tank.

Regarding "happiness." Right now I have two fish in a QT with a bare bottom, and to ME subjectively they don't look happy. Happy goldfish TO ME are nose down picking through the substrate. These guys in the bare bottom just kind of swim back and forth like "Well, guess I'll go over there now... and back over there." So I really think this is an interesting experiment. :)

I totally agree with you. I had a bare bottom tank for about 2 months and they were like "ok let's swim back and forth, doing nothing and waiting to be fed again...... Boriiiiiiing" .So I have addes sand for a week and the result is amazing, they swim around picking up sand and spit them out, all of them, they are like "oooh food... Aahhh it's sand....Fooooood......Saaaaand". It ia fun to watch, and they seem to be happier. Even my oranda in QT love the sand I put in there for him, just a little amount but it can keep him happy while being alone. :teehee

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk