starting up my first beta tank, some advice "may" be needed.

Wizz

OK been lurking long enough in the beta topic area :P

so now i have decided to put my shrim tank to some better use and, i would just like to make sure the tank and equipment

will be safe to use, I'm sure it will be but hey better safe than sorry right :).

tank i'm going to use is Fluval Ebi.

pic

10511_2.jpg

The only thing that might be an issue is the light that comes with the tank, I'm thinking it might be to bright, I've heard beta's don't like it to bright.

is this true?

at 7.5gal I'm sure its big enough, but the tank is taller than it is wide can this be a isssue also?

thanks and regards Wizz.

P.S

looking to get the beta on Sunday. so any tips on what to look for in a healthy beta would be great

I'm genrally good at picking out fish but, i've seen betas can a bit strange naturally having frayed fins in some cases and such.

I'm guessing its all about the eyes and body shape and such.

again thanks all.

Hello,

I don't think the light will be an issue. I have a grow light for plants over my betta tank and my fish is more energetic when I have the lights on. If you are still wary about it, you can find some floating plants like water lettuce or frogbit, they'll drink up the light and propagate like crazy. If you can't get your hands on some, you can also float water wisteria or water sprite, both very beautiful plants.

Are you planning a planted tank? That would be really great for him. :)

I like keeping bettas in longer tanks rather than taller, they prefer to swim horizontally. But, if you already have the tank, use it anyway, 7.5 gallons is quite large and would still make a great home.

If your LFS keeps their bettas in cups, many of them will probably be lethargic. This is normal. Once you take them home they become different fish. With that said, still try to look for the more energetic ones. And obviously, watch out for visible illness such as clamping, cloudy eyes, fin rot, floatiness, etc. etc. If the betta has fully developed finnage, it most likely has almost reached adulthood (6-8 months+) but, if provided with a suitable environment, they may live up to 3-4 years, sometimes more. Quality of life is always better than quantity. :)

thank very much :)

yeah going have the tank planted, at the moment it has 2 small swords growing up and, a medium sized one thats always stayed in.

also a fair number of trumpet snails that help keep the alge down :P

and about 30 medium to large cherry shrimp, i don't mind if the beta eats them over time they were breed for live feed for my

55gal freshwater (2 angels breeding pair and, 2 small Firemouths male and female hoping they pair up when older :). but that tank

gets a very good mixture of foods i dought they'll miss the live feed all that much.

You will also need to get a small heater it you dont have one as they do better in warmer water , maybe some indian almond leaves aswell they have lots of nutrients in them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OK just got a grade C crown tail and he seems very active straight of the bat.

but that have to do with the shrimp he's chasing around, altho he isn't fast enough to catch them. yet lol.

but he dose seem to behaving a little strang he's flareing up at the filter and heater?

is this norml when put into a new area/tank sort of finding out if things fight back maybe?

Edited by Wizz

Congrats ! Please post some pics of your new guy :)

He may be a little stressed. He may also be a fish that is not going to tolerate tank mates like shrimp. Some bettas seem to not mind tank mates like shrimp or small tropicals, while others will feel their territory is threatened and will kill tank mates. I'd keep a close eye on it. Whenever people want to try mixing betta and shrimp I suggest only doing so if you are prepared to set up a second tank to separate them if things don't work out.

Also bettas will sometimes flare if they can see their reflection in the tank wall, not sure if that is going on here or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he will flare at times at his reflection but not for any long periods (few seconds then moves on) the flareing at the heater and filter well, he was swimming straight at them while doing it and i can't see how he could see himself in them lol.

i don't mind if he eats the shrimp he has already been hunting down the smaller ones but leaves the bigger, 1 incher's alone :P.

I'll get some picture up latter on when he has calmed down a bit, he seems quite excited atm and all pics are blurry, so I'll get him latter unawares :P

as far as body language from what i can tell from keeping goldies to most freshwater fish in the past, he seems very happy no signs of stress,

no hideing, always swimming around between/under plants.

no clamping of fins.

sure he swims off to the back and hide when i try to get a closer look at him but thats only natural :)

Edited by Wizz

I'm happy to hear that you found an active fella that seems to be healthy and happy :D

Looking forward to pics :nana

Congratulations! :D I'd love to see some photos as well! What a lucky betta he must be!

The fact that he started flaring the first day you took him home is good-- it sounds like he is healthy. :) My betta flares at the filter quite often, when I move it to a different spot, he usually stops.

OK chaps and ladies bad new first can you belive that my light gave out about 2 hour ago

and he was primed for photos as well lol.

never mind got a light ordered for pick up tomz afternoon, before i nip in work so no biggy :P

good news i was taking some video a few hours after i put him in.

not the best still a bit blurry, but better than nothging right? lol

video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXHcCuWbi3k&feature=youtu.be

shot during the day. i perfer to take pictures at night

they just come out better when the tank light is on and the room is dark :)

but alass best i have so far of him is the video footage hope you enjoyed it :P

lol thanks

yeah when i saw him i knew he was the one :)

even turned down the chace at some grade C half moons they were nice but not as active or have any type of personality to speak of

looked heathly enough but not so much get up and go.

you can't see it in the video but his body is a darker blue and, his head a nice very rich deep dark blue

and i just love his fins so rich in blue with purple hint to them as well.

and his pec fins also that rich blue.

oh and a lipstick disaster on his lips with, half his top lip covered in that blue, you can just

make that out in the vid, thanks to his dark head.

you guys at kokos always do this to me lol.

I'm really loving bettas alot more now i have one :)

oh and he doesn't seem to like the taste of shrimps :P