Tank size for single-tails?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I have a questions that's been burning me up.

Everywhere I look tends to be differing opinions on tank size (for single tails). I looked around the forum as well (where I've seen the question answered, but in a sort of confusing way), but I would like some confirmation.

1. What would be the tank requirements for single-tails - a lot of places say somewhat different things.

2. How many single tails would be able to live in 30G, 50G and 75G.

Thanks guys

Single-tails require the same water-volume as fancy goldfish. On this forum, we would recommend in the ballpark of 20 gallons of water per fish. That being said, single-tails often get longer than fancies much sooner. Because of this, the more swimming space you have available for them the better.

In a 30g I would house one single-tail, but not for a long time. Many goldfish will outgrow a tank this size in their lifetime.

In a 50g tank I would house one or two single-tails, but only if it is a "long" tank would I keep them there for an extended period of time. Goldfish should not be kept in taller tanks, as they do not like to swim vertically as much as they prefer horizontally. Also, the tank's surface area should be large to provide enough gas-exchange to allow lots of oxygen. Goldfish ancestors were river fish, so they retained the need for lots of O2.

A 75g would be perfect for two or three single-tails for awhile. It's a long tank and will give them plenty of swimming space. You possibly could keep them there for a good part of their lives.

All of these suggestions are based on keeping a single-tail of "average" size. You will have to decide what kind of upgrading you can/will do in the future, should the fish outgrow their current homes. I know one of our members has a pair of commons that were large enough to require a 90g to themselves. But it's all up to you in the end. :)

Thanks so much! I was aiming for getting a 90 G but I wanted to make sure some smaller tanks would be okay too in case my housemates didn't want too big of an aquarium. Haha.

Another question: Would 3 singles in a 50 be too much?

Again, it depends on the length of your tank. I wouldn't do it just because I would keep as close to the 20g per fish guideline as possible to prevent the need for extra WCs and to give myself a little freedom. The more heavily stocked you are, the less room you have for error. Talk to your roommates and see what they have to say in regards to a large tank, and plan from there.

Edited by ChelseaM

Three fish will be fine in a 50 for a year or so. By the time they reach 4-5 inches standard length (s.l. means not including tail), you will want to upgrade. I don't know why people think long-bodied fish require long tanks. All goldfish do best in a tank/tub/pond that has a large surface area.

I agree shakaho. Just as most of the length of a single tail can be...well the tail (not always but most times) Most of the girth on a fancy is in the body, so they rally require the same things regardless of body plan. If anything my singletails can turn on a dime and the fancies need the tanks that are wider to turn around as they're failures at piloting their tubby bodies around. If you going for a 55 gal I would just go for a 75, because the only change in dimensions is really the width so it doesn't seem that much larger. It has a good footprint as well.

I agree shakaho. Just as most of the length of a single tail can be...well the tail (not always but most times) Most of the girth on a fancy is in the body, so they rally require the same things regardless of body plan. If anything my singletails can turn on a dime and the fancies need the tanks that are wider to turn around as they're failures at piloting their tubby bodies around. If you going for a 55 gal I would just go for a 75, because the only change in dimensions is really the width so it doesn't seem that much larger. It has a good footprint as well.

Three fish will be fine in a 50 for a year or so. By the time they reach 4-5 inches standard length (s.l. means not including tail), you will want to upgrade. I don't know why people think long-bodied fish require long tanks. All goldfish do best in a tank/tub/pond that has a large surface area.

Again, I would like to reiterate about the length of a tank. Why I was saying this is because 50 gallon tanks that I have seen advertised usually are taller tanks, not standard 50g tanks. This means decreased surface area to hold the water volume. The longer tanks are great, which I said.

Yep, I was aware of the long over tall preference for tanks. I've been eyeing and looking mostly at tanks at least 4 ft long (although, I haven't seen any 30G at least 4 ft, which makes me hesitant to buy a 30G - most of the ones I've seen are generally 3 ft long).

In regards to 40G tanks, which would be better? A 40 breeder be more ideal than a 40 long? Or are breeders generally too short for single tails?

Overall question: Would a tank 3 ft long be good enough for a single-tail?

Thanks again for all the help guys:)

I think we just agreed (above) that what matters is the surface area to volume ratio, not the length. That is better on the 40B. A 2.5' x 2.5' x 1 foot deep would be better than either of the 40s, but it isn't available, and probably wouldn't fit well in a room. :)