Moving with fish

Hannee

So sometime in the next few months I'm gonna be moving (thankfully only like 15 minutes away) but I'm trying to get together a plan of action for the fish.

A friend of mine has very kindly said that she'll let me set up a couple of tanks at her place to put the fish while the process is happening to which I can visit every day and make sure everything's okay/feeding/cleaning ect. I'm thinking that's probably my best option so I have enough time to disassemble the tanks and reassemble at the other side without worrying too much about getting them straight back in.

But I was wondering what you guys do about moving with your fish? And if you have any tips from previous experience?

Whatever you do, bag them like when you bought them for transportation. That way you reduce the risk of injury for your fish compared to transporting them in an icechest just full of water (something I did that I would never do again)

What I did when I moved worked, but it may not be the best option because it stressed me the heck out. :rofl

On moving day, in the morning at the old house while waiting for the movers, I caught all the fish and put them in bags. I got bags from my LFS. I called them on Tuesday, when they normally get their freshwater shipment, and asked them to save them for me. Then I put my plants in separate bags. Then I emptied the tanks. Mind you, I had seven tanks at this point. Ugh. Anyway! I put the bags into laundry baskets to transport them. They went in the car with me. Then the moving guys put the tanks in the truck and set them up at the new house. First thing I did at the new house was refill the tanks and get the fish back in there. The fish were in their bags for a good eight hours and they all came through fine. The plants sat in bags for a couple days. :lol3

Worked out fine. Worst mishap was when I was trying to bag an ADF and he fell and started hop-scooting across the kitchen floor. :rofl

• Supporter

When I moved I got some bags from the Pet Store (they gave them to me) and put the fish in them. Then I moved their tank and made sure it was the first thing set up again and got them back in ASAP to reduce the time they had to spend in the bags. Just getting the tank running again ASAP is the only advice I have to lessen the stress

When I moved w/ my 55 gal tank (45 min away) I hired a fish company to move the whole thing. These are companies that mostly make their $$ by maintaining tanks for businesses, so they are expert at moving fish. They came to my place, put the fish and the filter material in 5 gal buckets, drained the tank, packed it up all securely in their truck, and drove to my new place (I met them there).

When we arrived, they positioned and leveled the tank, and we filled it up with the new water. The beneficial bacteria were still in my filters, so I didn't even have a cycle bump. The fish traveled great and transitioned easily.

It cost me about $150, and was well worth it. No only did I worry less about the fish, but I worried less about the tank b/c I knew they knew how to transport it without risk.

I moved around 7 months ago with a 275 litre tank and 4 fish, to a place an hour away. I started early in the morning, and by the time I'd finished, the tank and the fish were the only things left in the house haha, so maybe moving them to your friends a couple of days before wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I moved mine in a polystyrene box. They ended up being stuck in the box for around 8 hours (couldn't get up the drive in the van because the removal van was in the way, and by the time I'd filled the tank and was ready to put the fish in, it was almost midnight) and they were fine :)

I haven't really got any tips, but with you only moving 15 minutes away, I don't imagine you'll have too many issues :) good luck with the move!

Edited by Lis.

I move twice a year with my fish, a 30 minute trip. Usually I just fill a 5g bucket 3/4 full with clean water, then add the goldfish and put on the lid. The media goes in another 5g bucket with old tank water, filled just over the top of the media and lidded. This is followed by draining and drying the tank and filters as best I can with a towel. (If you have substrate then this would be the best time to remove it and put it in a container so that the tank isn't compromised when you move it.) I load the tank last so that it can be set up again first thing.

Make sure to check the water parameters at your new place and note any differences from your old one. It doesn't necessarily matter whether the water source is the same as your old house, since the pipes, etc. could be different and cause different water params. I always set up the new tank first-thing to prevent the fish from being in the container longer than they have to. I let them settle for awhile with the lights off and check up on them to make sure nobody is too stressed. They have always pulled through for me just fine.

Edited by ChelseaM