Baffled - Black Ranchu issue

GreenTea

All levels 0 aside from nitrate - About 20ppm coming out of tap.

Ph 7.6

The four smaller fish are new and are showing similar symptoms - some worse, one hardly at all. These have never been in the main tank but are showing the same symptoms as my large ranchu so I have been treating them all together. Had them about a week.

I have them all in a 20 g long together and am changing 100% water daily and redosing meds. The large black ranchu is from my main tank and is the only one showing these symptoms out of the fish from the main tank. There is a sponge filter in the qt tank for aeration.

It looks sort of like ick, but is almost transparent, and looks sort of like fungus, but isn't really fuzzy. All 5 fish showing clear or green tinted (from duckweed) poops that can be round, or flat.

I have been treating with 2x prazi, metro loose in the water, and am going to make some metro gel food as well. Large ranchu beginning to pinecone just slighty, as is the smallest ranchu most effected, but this appears to be more from scale irritation than giving an appearance of dropsy.

This fish eat: duckweed/plants, bloodworms, and my big ranchu prevoiusly ate repashy gel food as well.

For the first two days I treated with Ich-X too, but it is a very intense med and didn't seem to help much, and with the other two, adds up to a lot of meds in the water.

I am really baffled as to what this is and could use the help of experts here - I haven't seen anything like it. The large ranchu has some color loss in one area of her wen - poor circulation? and her depth of color seems to vary a lot over the course of the day, from deep black to "purple."

I love all these guys and am at a loss here. Pics to follow.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photos

IMG_20140330_221022_628-1_zpsgq4leybl.jpIMG_20140402_205436_445_zpsqvirxjhb.jpgIMG_20140402_205447_847_zpsgwjdgq2m.jpgIMG_20140402_205607_068_zpslvpc6gec.jpgIMG_20140402_205610_615_zpspqlylnzs.jpgSide note : Her eyes have always been cloudy, I suspect she is blind. You can really see the wen color loss in the photo where shes facing front. Edited by GreenTea

I'm watching this thread as well, spoiler alert! Niki and I bought ranchu from the same place and mine arrive tomorrow, I suspect I may run into the same issue.

*I already have my QT tank and set ready to go.

Edited by ahardeay

Niki,

Do you want to try to use Tetra Parasite Guard? One of the things that keep cropping up my search for white spots that look sort of like ich, but are not, are ectoparasitic mites. There is a component in TPG that will address this. It also contains acriflavine, metro, and prazi. So, it actually casts a really wide net.

http://biomasaxy.com/Acuacultura/Docs/ectoparasitos.pdf

Niki,

Do you want to try to use Tetra Parasite Guard? One of the things that keep cropping up my search for white spots that look sort of like ich, but are not, are ectoparasitic mites. There is a component in TPG that will address this. It also contains acriflavine, metro, and prazi. So, it actually casts a really wide net.

That might be a good option until I can get some straight acriflavine. I used to use that for my qt procedure and it always worked great. Love that stuff actually, and its inexpensive. I think I'll try it in the meantime.

So youre not sure what this is either then huh?

I've actually never seen it, and my initial reaction was that it was newly forming ich cysts, which we know from you that it's not. I DO think that it is some sort of ectoparasite and not so much some sort of fungus.

Are you sure you can't find a scope anywhere close? This would be really interesting to look at under the scopes. May be even just beg someone at the school?

I've actually never seen it, and my initial reaction was that it was newly forming ich cysts, which we know from you that it's not. I DO think that it is some sort of ectoparasite and not so much some sort of fungus.

Are you sure you can't find a scope anywhere close? This would be really interesting to look at under the scopes. May be even just beg someone at the school?

Yeah they are too transparent and wide to be ich.. If it was that I'd recognize it for sure. I wish it was ich.

I don't have any salt or meds aside from metro and prazi and won't be able to get any until Friday I think. I feel like such a noob having to go out and buy medication again. This is a perfect example for anyone reading this thread why it is good to have several medications stocked and on hand. I dont even have salt!

I will call the LFS's I shop at and see if they will lend a hand in terms of a microscope. One employee bought ranchu from me last year and has been particularly helpful. I have a scale, one of these days I'll get a scope too.

Edited by GreenTea

I've had salt dips kill a few great fish when they were very ill - I considered it but won't do it until they are in better shape if at all. Their gills and breathing are currently compromised so they're at risk.

Im going to go with parasite guard and order acriflavine I think. I also made metro food for those raised scales and any possible secondary infections.

I hope he feels better.

Thanks, me too!

I'm sorry I wasn't aware they were in such serious condition! This is what I get for trying to browse the forums on my phone and very sleepy. :(

I don't think that you were off PSP. I just did not recommend salt dips because they've been exposed to gill damaging agents.

Niki,

I am curious about this too as I have seen these non-Ich spots before. I will read this article and follow this thread :)

Niki,

I am curious about this too as I have seen these non-Ich spots before. I will read this article and follow this thread :)

One of the things that hard is that we also have those plagues of slime that is not as pronounced and more faded looking.

Niki,

One of the things that hard is that we also have those plagues of slime that is not as pronounced and more faded looking.

Alex, are you talking about the more filmy coating on the body or the whitish clumps that are more pronounced on her wen and the smaller fish?