Sign in to follow this  
Bonelady29

Not urgent: Naming your fish?

For once I have no idea what to name all my fish! I have a pretty gold and white oranda who's really sweet and calm. The comets/commons 1 is gold and black, 1 is white with a little orange and black spots on head and the last one is really cool it's whole length at the top is black, the middle section is orange and the bottom is white. It actually really cool because its a perfect line and the entire length like it was layered on purpose! The first two are so hyperactive and bullies they have to be in their own tank. The super cool comet is laid back.

I've named all of my fish after Game of Thrones characters lol. It's fun to come up with a theme! :D

Cute! :-) I'll have to think up what shows an movies I really like. My first goldfish were two fancies I named Ricky and Lucy Ricardo :-D

I was also thinking about historical figures names. I LOVE history and literature so I'd really like to go with that.

Time to think and still taking suggestions!! :-)

I couldn't possibly suggest a name without pictures!! :P

I couldn't possibly suggest a name without pictures!! :P

100% agree :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I tend to go with themes. My first two were Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Most of my current fish and snails have the names of ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses. I have an M.A. in Egyptology, so that suits me. Go with something that speaks to you.

Pictures would definitely be useful for inspiring ideas!

I tend to choose silly names, for my fish. It's all about what speaks to you. My big, fat, orange ranchu is named Pumpkin. Lol!

Pumpkin is such a cute name! It's actually on my list but it doesn't really fit any of my current fish.

I'll try and get some pics to post, the comets in my sons tank are so spazzy and fast I don't know if it'll work.

My sons two comets sadly are really quiet stupid I'm afraid. My hubby wants to name them dumb and dumber because they both, despite the size of he tank will get going to fast they don't pay attention and run into one another head first. They get along perfectly their just not...smart.

Here's the contenders I narrowed down:

Skipper & Gilligan

Pebbles & Bam Bam

Cheeto & Dorito

Calamity & Chaios (one of my favs)

Fluffanutter & Nutterbutter

Minnie & Moe

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

I'm pretty sure they're both boys. I must confess most of these names came from a google list.

Now my sweet Oranda and her beau the comet:

Will & Elizabeth

Colt & Winnie

Antony & Cleo (I love Egyptian history and history in general)

Jack & Rose (titanic is my fav movie ever and I love the history)

Polly & The Major

Daisy & Duke

Tarzan & Jane

Ok I give up how do you post pictures on the thread? :-(

Well I can't get them uploaded its just a lot more complicated and hassle than I want to deal with right now.

But I think I finally picked their names! My 86 year old Oma saw pics of my oranda tonight and she just loved my fish and said she was pretty, cute, and sweet looking. That said a lot coming from an elderly woman who's a dog and cat person and never owned an aquarium in her life. Since my favorite movie is "Titanic", and my Oma said she was so pretty, I'm naming the two that are mine and are in the living room Jack & Rose. My oranda deserves a name as pretty as she is :-)

As for my sons fish that live in his room I'm still on the fence but they'll probably be named Pebbles & Bam Bam.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They were all really great and helped inspire my thinking :-)

Ps - just wondering, my comets aren't eating well and it's because their not swimming to the top and getting their food like all the other fish I've ever had. They just hang out at the bottom and middle and if a piece happens to sink down near them they'll eat it but their only getting like two pellets! Are my comets just stupid or is that a trait their known for? Even the one that's living with Rose hasn't learned to do that yet and he seen her do and she's a pro!

Well I can't get them uploaded its just a lot more complicated and hassle than I want to deal with right now.

But I think I finally picked their names! My 86 year old Oma saw pics of my oranda tonight and she just loved my fish and said she was pretty, cute, and sweet looking. That said a lot coming from an elderly woman who's a dog and cat person and never owned an aquarium in her life. Since my favorite movie is "Titanic", and my Oma said she was so pretty, I'm naming the two that are mine and are in the living room Jack & Rose. My oranda deserves a name as pretty as she is :-)

As for my sons fish that live in his room I'm still on the fence but they'll probably be named Pebbles & Bam Bam.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They were all really great and helped inspire my thinking :-)

Ps - just wondering, my comets aren't eating well and it's because their not swimming to the top and getting their food like all the other fish I've ever had. They just hang out at the bottom and middle and if a piece happens to sink down near them they'll eat it but their only getting like two pellets! Are my comets just stupid or is that a trait their known for? Even the one that's living with Rose hasn't learned to do that yet and he seen her do and she's a pro!

Very nice name choices!

Generally we recommend sinking food for goldfish as the floating stuff can cause digestive problems and issues with buoyancy. Personally I use Omega One sinking pellets, but there are a number of brands to choose from. If your goldfish are not used to floating foods figuring out that there's food at the surface may take a little while. That being said I would start a D&D thread just in case (unless someone here dismisses this idea). Any time a fish isn't eating right it's best to check all potential causes just to make sure nothing more serious is going on. If, on the off chance, there is something other than fishy confusion going on catching it early always makes treatment easier.

Ya I asked in another section but I didn't put it in d & d because I don't know why that is. I'm still a fry on here. My question was just a quickie anyway because I've checked everything I can so far everything is fine. I feed them omega one sinking pellets too and I soak them first of course.

I think their just skiddish they aren't happy friendly like other goldfish I've had. They run anyway when I come near. But even when the pieces sink near them they hardly pay attention.

I've named all of my fish after Game of Thrones characters lol. It's fun to come up with a theme! :D

I know it's irrational superstition, but I wouldn't name my fish after characters of fiction where one of them croaks every five minutes :rofl

You know, don't wanna jinx my fish :D

I'm super bad with naming my fish... I should just give them numbers.

I name my fish for their behavior mostly.

Breeding male Ryukin: Big Poppa

Breeding female black moor: Aphrodite

Boss of the tank: King (RIP)

Celestial eye: Doofus (always bumping into things)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I know it's irrational superstition, but I wouldn't name my fish after characters of fiction where one of them croaks every five minutes :rofl

LOL well none of the characters I named them after are dead....yet. (Not in the show anyway. The books on the other hand....lol)

I name my fish after characters on my favorite shows.

Fantail: okita/oki

Oranda: saito

red Betta fish: Pixis

Purple beta fish: eren.

You should name the stripy one "Neo", short for neapolitan, like the ice cream:)

Kingyo: Japanese word for goldfish.

Jinyu: Chinese word for goldfish.

The white, orange and black one could be "Cali", for calico.

I like silly name's and Chinese.

I have a "Seven" and a "Thirteen". I dig the number names. Lol

I called them Seven and Mr. Marbles after Seinfeld but I forget which is who.

It sorts out easy. The orange one and the white one :P

I just watch my new fish & a name just comes to me!

I have an orange & white Comet (from the feeder tank) named 30 cents.......cause he cost me 30 cents!!

A chocolate Oranda (turning gold) named Gordan Ramsey.....I imagine him swimming around the tank cussing & pitching a fit!

A Orange & White Ryukin named Spike...........Spike just seemed to fit!

Let us know when you get yours named!!!! :fishtank

The naming of fish is a difficult matter

It isn't just one of your holiday games... (apologies to T.S. Eliot)

I just watch my new fish & a name just comes to me!

This is most excellent advice. :rolleyes:

1. Ask THEM what they want to be called.

"Queen B." and "Skeletor" got their names that way. I was thinking of something boring like "goldie" on the drive home from the LFS and Queen B intervened telepathically: "He** to the no! I'm Queen B. !" (She's large and in-charge.)

2. Name them after a personality trait. "Pierogi" likes to eat.

3. Name them after what they are: "Halley" the comet, "Flip Flop" the Shoe-bunkin

4. Give them a name that makes you laugh: "Kracken" kracks me up every time I say it. So does "Magicarp"

5. Give them names that go together. "Milli and Vanilli" like to hang out together, Vanilli is white.

6.Give them names based on their appearance. "Shinto" and "Tancho" sport the Japanese flag.

7. Give them a name in a different language. かわいい魚

Pronounced : Kawaī sakana Translation: Pretty Fish But we just call her Kawaī for short
8. Give them a meaningful name, something meaningful to you about the fish. "Fifteen Cent" was a feeder fish I bought for, you guessed it.
9. The Fingers method: get a 5 year old to name them for you. "Pretty no eyes" was named this way
Looking forward to seeing what you decide on!
Edited by mysterygirl

I have named my goldies after Manga Comic characters :)