HELP! Fish NOT eating!

I'm not freaking out...yet...but my comets(or commons I'm not sure which they are honestly), aren't eating at all. I just bought a fresh can of the Omega One small pellets and my oranda eats them just like the flakes. I was feeding flakes before but I thought this would be better.

I just got three comets or commons a few days ago but they won't eat! It seems like their not paying any attention at all and they see my oranda eat and they haven't even TRIED to eat. Now what?

Hi There! Could you fill out the following questions to the best of your ability:

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

While you do need to fill the out the data requested, they not be ill at all. Some fish take a while to take to a new food. Fill out the info as requested and the mods can look for any issues.

While you do need to fill the out the data requested, they not be ill at all. Some fish take a while to take to a new food. Fill out the info as requested and the mods can look for any issues.

It needs to be filled out because the tank could be over crowded

Bad water

Not enough filtration

Not enough water changes

And yes, they CAN be sick.

I don't have all the various testing kits, sorry!

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH is 7.6 (well water is about 6.6 straight from faucet)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? Right now 86 we've had a heat wave and I've taken out the heater I'm hoping it starts dropping soon!

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal running a year

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Ez change right now and been in a month an is pretty clean.

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every week now (I was having really bad medical prob wasn't able to change it often enough before)

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Was four now two small ones

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stabilizer

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega one small pellets. Small amounts once morning and night and fast on Sundays.

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes we're three now down to one new and one old. The one had calmed down now it's chasing the old fish!

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

None

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

None

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? All comets not eating even after seperating. They do gulp at top some especially the oranda and it wa sitting on bottom a lot until I started being able to change the water more.

I'm just so frustrated. The comets won't eat and I had a huge undertaking re-homing the betta to put the two bully comets in its tank because they were bullying my oranda. Now the last and only comet left with the oranda is chasing the oranda. It's swimming super fast slightly behind and beside the oranda and he/she is normally a slow mover. It's usually just happy go lucky and moves along at a slow happy regular pace but now it's having to zip around everywhere. Im about to loose it!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116727-help-made-a-mistake-and-now-i-think-i-have-a-bully-problem/

Linking back to this thread for mods, since some of the issues might be here. If the two common goldfish are still in the five gallon tank, they're not gulping because they're hungry; they probably can't breathe well. Really hope we can get the space issue sorted out, it's gonna be the best medicine for all of them.

Yes I think it's all connected. I jut don't want to give up too easy but I'm exhausted its midnight and I've been working on this since noon! I feel bad but I don't think I can keep them. At least they were only 26 cents... :-(

Honestly, I think it would be best to bring the four back and keep your oranda. We will, however, have to monitor him for any illnesses since he could have been exposed from the new fish since they weren't quarantined.

I'm confused on the pH. The tank is 7.6, but the water out of the faucet is 6.6? And this is well water, correct?

Unfortunately most people don't post around this hour, might have to wait till morning. They should be fine until then. As for the eating issue, fish can go several days without eating and be just fine, so I wouldn't fret about it just yet. :)

Also, bring a sample of your tank and tap water to your local pet store to get the water tested. Make sure you write down actual numbers not just a good from the employee.

Edited by Mikey

Yes it's well water. The water in tank has been there since Monday that I tested. It was at 6.8 Monday but with four fish I guess it raised the ph. The ph of the well water straight from the faucet is 6.6. I don't know if 6.6 is too low or what.

After watching them and inspection I think my oranda is a female and my comet is a male. I don't think their ready for breeding the temps all wrong. The comet doesn't chase her as hard a the others did and he does take breaks from her. He just seems like he wants to be a close to her a possible sometimes but I'm gonna just keep an eye out I guess. He doesn't seem to be hurting her yet.

As for the water I am concerned and trying not to get even more worried but I need to know if I'm doing something wrong also.

Okay, so I'm guessing the 7.6 above was suppose to be 6.6?

Yes, that pH is too low. It is preferred 7.4+. If you can get a kH test kit, that would be great! We can then help you get the pH up to a good level.

What we like to use is plain baking soda instead of anything else, as it is cheap and works just as well (if not better in my opinion) then the buffers on the market at pet stores.

The only issue, is that when you do you lr weekly water change, you will need to have buckets ready and pre-made with the correct amount of baking soda added do the buckets. But first things fist, all the levels and kH are needed.

Bonelady,

If you bring a sample of your tank water, as well as some tap to a pet store such as Petco or Petsmart, they will test the water for you. Make sure you ask them to tell you the exact number answers, and not "OK, ideal, not OK, etc."

Thanks. :)

Ok I'll take the water in and have it test ASAP! It might be a few days unfortunately I've had seizures so I can't drive and I have to depend on my husband or mom to take me places and they work.

Now to clarify, our water is well water and straight from the faucet it is a ph of 6.6. After the fish are in it for a few days it moves up to 7.6.