Adding 3rd fish to 55g with Comets?

We currently have 2 comets in our 55g and I know they need more space than other goldfish. my niece is bugging us for a 3rd fish and wants a fancy goldfish. I keep telling her no, not enough room but thought I would ask if we put a different type of fish in would that matter or can you even mix the types of goldfish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mixing goldfish in theory is fine, but it will ultimately depend on the individual fish themselves. Most times it's OK. :)

Whether you should add a third is another question. It is definitely doable in the 55, but as they get older/bigger, it will be more work to keep the tank clean and nitrates low. :)

:goodluck

Thank you, still undecided :)

Mixing goldfish in theory is fine, but it will ultimately depend on the individual fish themselves. Most times it's OK. :)

Whether you should add a third is another question. It is definitely doable in the 55, but as they get older/bigger, it will be more work to keep the tank clean and nitrates low. :)

Thanks for the info. not sure if I am going for it or not. I hate to disrupt their home and give them less room just because we may want a 3rd fish. Correction, my niece wants another fish, lol. We won't be upgrading the size of the tank so I am taking that into consideration as well.

Honestly, if upgrading isn't an option in the future, I would probably stick with the two. Three is do-able as Alex said, but as they grow to adult size you may begin to feel that the 55 gallon is cramped with 3. This is fine if an upgrade is possible, but if that's out of the question I would personally play it safe and keep the two. But I am also in the understocking camp so keep that in mind :P Maybe your niece could add something else to the tank like a new plant or ornament? New plants are always a nice option when new fish aren't possible ;)

• Supporter

A goldfish statue decoration :idont

I with tithra here. If you thought you might upgrade id say go for it. If you are not id say dont and play it safe. Rehoming fish is no fun. I know.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I think I will be sticking to 2 fish I there, they seem happy and this gives them more than 25g each. I like the extra plant idea also How about a couple snails? Good idea or bad? Will they create a lot more work?

Snails don't create much extra work, but it's up to the fish if they're welcomed into the tank. I know my fish enjoy a good escargot dinner, while some other fish coexist happily with the snails just fine. Nerite snails are awesome goldfish tank snails, especially if you can find the horned variety that stay small and can somewhat protect themselves more easily from curious or hungry Goldies.

-on tapatalk-

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Good choice to not add another. I have three commons in a 55 and they are currently 14" 10" and 9" so they get with big and I will end up with a 75 pretty soon. Also, mine are very destructive. Every plant has been eaten in a matter of hours and peas and blood worms last mere seconds. They are powerful and precise swimmers and see very well so nothing is safe! It is interesting to see the difference between my commons and my poor little telescopes who, with their limited ability to see, have to really search for their food!

You made a good choice to stick with your 2. I had a Comet that got REALLY big (even the 90 gal was kinda tight) . He really liked to ZOOM back & forth enjoying the pleasure of swimming..........where the fancies are content to putter around looking for food or just exploring!