Sign in to follow this  
choji002

Sicce whale 350 or eheim classic 250

I'm thinking about getting a canister filter for my 53gallons tank, and I'm having my eyes on these two filters. Have you guys used them before ? Please help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My preference is the Eheim. I use the classic canister filters. Just read the reviews about them on the net. You won't regret!

Edit: Just want to add that if $$ allows, you might want to look at the Eheim Classic 2217. It will provide more filtration for your size tank. I use 2 of them on my 60g. They are silent and very well built. The 250 will be OK but you should still add another filter to supplement it as well. :)

Edited by Mrs. Kay

So I cannot use one canister filter only for the tank ?

Of course you can use one filter if you choose. However, If you read this forum you will understand that goldfish require more filtration than tropical fish and you may want to consider adding filtration that will turn your tank water over 5 to 10 times total per hour. 10x turnover per hour is what is recommended here as a rule for goldfish. Having another filter will help to achieve this goal as well as insure the safety and health of your fish in the event that one of the filters fail. You can achieve this goal using any type of filter you choose ie: canisters or HOB (hang on back). Just something to consider for the health of your fish and tank maintenance. Please read threads on this site about filtration, fish health and tank maintenance. :)

Great answers by Mrs. Kay! :)

I adore my Eheim 2217. I got it used and it is a total workhorse. Completely silent, holds a ton of media, and works fabulously. Nothing like good German engineering! :-) The instructions are worthless, but the internet is full of pages and videos telling you how to set it up. :)

Of course you can use one filter if you choose. However, If you read this forum you will understand that goldfish require more filtration than tropical fish and you may want to consider adding filtration that will turn your tank water over 5 to 10 times total per hour. 10x turnover per hour is what is recommended here as a rule for goldfish. Having another filter will help to achieve this goal as well as insure the safety and health of your fish in the event that one of the filters fail. You can achieve this goal using any type of filter you choose ie: canisters or HOB (hang on back). Just something to consider for the health of your fish and tank maintenance. Please read threads on this site about filtration, fish health and tank maintenance. :)

Is it ok if I add substrate or black sand to my tank with vannister filter and sponge filters ?

Hi. Yes. You can use these substrates. I use a medium-large size natural pebble. I also use a med-large size rocks substrate. I keep my filter intakes an inch above the surface and have never had a problem.

I have no experience with black sand or sponge filters.

I am hoping someone with experience will jump in for your support.

You may want to start another thread with those topics as titles.

There are lots of threads you can search here for answers as well.

Have fun. Good luck :)