My Cherry Shrimp Tank

I got a bit of planaria in the shrimp tank. I going to try fenbenzadole (Fish Benzadole) to get rid of them. I'm a bit worried for all the babies that are swimming around. I've read that planaria may harm them.

Has anyone tried fenbenzadole to get rid of planaria?

Is it planaria or detritus (spelling?) worms?

Ooh, you are right. It looks like detritus worms. That's easily remedied. I need to vacuum up the gravel and feed the shrimp less. I just worry about sucking up the shrimp fry.

Edit: I took a look again. The worms look like the worms in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lUK1cCk_TW8. Is this planaria?

Edited by LisaCGold

I've done a bit more searching on the internet. I do believe I'm dealing with planaria. I've decided to use Genchem No-Planaria instead of fenbendazole. I ordered some No-Planaria from Green Leaf Aquariums. It is a more natural product derived from the betel nut. I'll post how it goes.

I dosed the No-Planaria yesterday and today there are hardly any planaria that I can see. Hardly any on the tank walls. I have two more doses to do, then a few large water changes to remove dead planaria. The shrimp seem fine. The babies are also looking good.

Edited by LisaCGold

No-Planaria still working like a charm. I only saw one planaria on the tank wall today. One more dose and then a water change to remove the dead planaria.

Here is a video of sunlight on my shrimp tank (I don't let the sun shine on it too long):

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest pic of my shrimp tank. The java moss is growing like crazy. I need to pull some out of the tank. I put in the java moss wall from my fish tank because my goldfish were making a snack out of it. The moss wall doesn't look so good. I'll give it some time to see if the moss starts growing. This is an 8.6 gallon tank. I do about 25% water changes per week. After a wc, I dose 1/32 tsp KNO3, 1/4 tsp excel, 1/4 tsp bs, and 3/4 tsp GH booster. Day after I dose 1/64 micro ferts.

I have at least 3 berried shrimps and at least 30 shrimps total (hard to count).

shrimp6_zpse7c0e88f.jpg

It's really filling in nicely! I love the mossy tree. :D

Thank you! I, too, love how the tree is turning out. It is quite fun. At some point, I'll have to trim it. The shrimp love to crawl all over it.

Beautiful tank! It the java moss tied to the wood?

Yes, I used very fine nylon thread. In some of the places where I didn't tie the moss to the wood, the moss is starting to cling on and grow.

I cleaned up the tank a bit - took out the excess java moss. It is even looking better.

• 4 months later...

I like shrimps, and yours too! I also have these shrimps.

A few tips for you:

- shrimps like hiding places, maybe you can make some for them?

- cherry shrimps are tended to look better coloured on dark bottom. If you ever go to start a new tank for shrimps, consider using a dark bottom.

Again: your shrimps are lovely ;)

I like shrimps, and yours too! I also have these shrimps.

A few tips for you:

- shrimps like hiding places, maybe you can make some for them?

- cherry shrimps are tended to look better coloured on dark bottom. If you ever go to start a new tank for shrimps, consider using a dark bottom.

Again: your shrimps are lovely ;)

Thank you!

I have thought about getting a dark substrate but I had this as leftover from my goldfish tank. One day though.

I have thought about getting a dark substrate but I had this as leftover from my goldfish tank. One day though.

same story here, but yesterday I replaced (the same substrate as you have, also leftover from the goldfish) for a dark one. The shrimps seem more red now!

But, of course, it's your choice and sure, replacing is a lot work. But if you ever go to start a new tank...