My Cherry Shrimp Tank

I had some cherry shrimp in QT for over a week. Today I moved them into a 7.5 gallon tank with an internal filter using some bio-media from my goldfish tank. Before I put the cherry shrimp in the tank, I ran the filter for a bit. I had the filter running for about 5 minutes before I remembered to put prime in the water. Do you think that in those 5 minutes the BBs in the bio-media died? If so, I can get more bio-media from my goldfish tank, but I thought I would check in with all of you.

Pictures will be coming soon....

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I don't recommend it to anyone else, but I honestly regularly rinse my filters out with plain tap, haven't had an issue so far ;) I think BBs are a little more hardy than we often give them credit for.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the pictures:

The setup!

shrimp3_zpse6d20639.jpg

The shrimp!

shrimp5_zpse3e7474f.jpg

One of the babies!

shrimp4_zpsff3525aa.jpg

One of the berried shrimp! I think there are two of them.

shrimp2_zps7462072b.jpg

Edited by LisaCGold

The shrimp are so much fun to watch! Especially the itty bitty baby shrimp. I see new babies every two days or so. Hard to keep track of them though.

I'm hoping that the java moss I tied onto the manzanita wood will bush out so it will be more tree like. It is so cool to see the shrimp swimming around and hanging out on the "tree."

I took some bio media from my goldfish tank and put it into the AC 20 filter. The bio load from the shrimp is quite negligible so I'm hoping that the BBs on the bio media don't die off. It seems to be okay for now. There is a trace of nitrates, with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, so maybe it will continue this way. I change about 25% of the water per week. Is that too much?

I've been feeding them Soilent Green and NLS gel food. A little bit each day. They love the stuff. I thought I would cut back on feedings once the tank is more aged. I just ordered from Shrimp Souffle because it has more calcium. I tried to feed them a cooked carrot, but they wanted nothing to do with it. I should have fed them the carrot first then introduced SG later. I wonder if they would have eaten the carrot then.

Edited by LisaCGold

So cute! I love the tank! I think I unluckily purchased 4 females lol. I need to go back to my LFS. It's been weeks and no babies :( I picked the four brightest red ones, then I found out later that the females tend to be a darker color than the males.

So cute! I love the tank! I think I unluckily purchased 4 females lol. I need to go back to my LFS. It's been weeks and no babies :( I picked the four brightest red ones, then I found out later that the females tend to be a darker color than the males.

Thank you!

I got my shrimp from a seller on craigslist. Great bargain--$2 each. I asked for 15 but got about twenty and one berried one. He really knew a lot about shrimp. I glad he made sure to give me males and females, because I wouldn't have known. I did notice last week the males swimming around a lot. I think one of the females released some hormones signaling she was ready to mate. I think that is where the second berried one came about.

The seller had two shrimp tanks. One tank had hundreds of shrimp that where incredibly active. The other tank had much less shrimp, but that's what he wanted (less/no breeding). He did this by having a lower ph. Very interesting how he did this.

At some point I'll want to get some cherry shrimp from another breeder to bring in unrelated shrimp into the tank. I think this would be good to keep the population healthy.

Edited by LisaCGold

Thank you!

I got my shrimp from a seller on craigslist. Great bargain--$2 each. I asked for 15 but got about twenty and one berried one. He really knew a lot about shrimp. I glad he made sure to give me males and females, because I wouldn't have known. I did notice last week the males swimming around a lot. I think one of the females released some hormones signaling she was ready to mate. I think that is where the second berried one came about.

The seller had two shrimp tanks. One tank had hundreds of shrimp that where incredibly active. The other tank had much less shrimp, but that's what he wanted (less/no breeding). He did this by having a lower ph. Very interesting how he did this.

At some point I'll want to get some cherry shrimp from another breeder to bring in unrelated shrimp into the tank. I think this would be good to keep the population healthy.

That was a good deal! I also wanted to let you know that I purchased microbe lift koi clay, which is high in calcium, I made a clay ball and added it to my mystery snail and shrimp tank and they went CRAZY! They all picked at it and ate it until it was gone. I even have hard water here, but apparently that had minerals they had been craving. I was careful and checked and I didn't see any copper in the mineral clay. I have been giving it to my goldfish of course too.

Thank you!

That was a good deal! I also wanted to let you know that I purchased microbe lift koi clay, which is high in calcium, I made a clay ball and added it to my mystery snail and shrimp tank and they went CRAZY! They all picked at it and ate it until it was gone. I even have hard water here, but apparently that had minerals they had been craving. I was careful and checked and I didn't see any copper in the mineral clay. I have been giving it to my goldfish of course too.

I'll have to check out the type of bentonite clay that I have. I put it in the gel food. I just don't know right now the mineral composition (I'm away traveling). Giving the shrimp a clay ball sounds good. Also sounds good for the gold fish! Thank you for this idea!!

what kind of light is that?

It is a Finnex Rugeray-R LED light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP6QGIS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that is what i thought. was looking at these.i have a couple of the regular fugerays. if you could give a review/update in a month or so i would appreciate it.i have a mr.aqua 4 gallon,still in box for the last year. i want to set it up soon.i want either another fugeray or the fugeray-r.