Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Should I be worried?

The finrot has not been healing in about 3 month. I have one fish in a 20 gallon quarantine tank, fed twice a day, clean filter and water. There are blood streaks and finrot isnt healing.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)20
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.5
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api test kit
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?20
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?aqueon-30
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?once a week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?today 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 big
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?flakes twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? finrot, bloody streaks, bump (i posted a topic about the bump before and yall told me it should go away on its own, but it hasn't.)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?no

Thanks for your help in advance!

Could you please put up some new pics and/or a video? Thanks. It just sounds really odd that it hasn't changed either for worse or better. :/

u7aqypa5.jpg

Blood on tail

segymaqu.jpg

Clearer blood steaks

a8ydehyq.jpg

Finrot on fin

ajy6eby3.jpg

Tail fin rot. The dorsal fin is not always down like it appears.in this picture.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2

In the photo we cannot perceive the finrot you are talking about, just blood strings. From the poop I see in the picture, the fish is not ok. Even though the poop has orange (the normal color of pellets), it also has transparent parts, as well as air.

First of all, pellets are really bad for goldfish in general, for many reasons. Do you soak the pellets few minutes prior to feeding them to your fish? The dehydrated food for golfish use to absorb lots of water and during the process (1 min aprox) it can double its size. This can cause internal problems such as indigestion, swelling, etc. It's very important to give a varied diet.

Second, the fin rotting means that there is some kind of infection that causes it. That can also make the fish lie down into the tank and loaf. In this case you should undergo a green malachite treatment.

Edited by Rhea

Hi Rhea,

I respectfully disagree with some of your responses, while agreeing with some others.

I do agree that it was not possible to determine finrot. We do have an unhappy fish here, but we not more info, better pics, or a video, if possible.

As for pellets being really bad, that's not true at all. There are some very bad pellets, but there are also some really good ones.

Malachite green is a potent treatment, and not one that I am a fan of, because it can/will harm the fish, and possibly harm the human using it as well. I think we have better choices out there.

Hi Rhea,

I respectfully disagree with some of your responses, while agreeing with some others.

I do agree that it was not possible to determine finrot. We do have an unhappy fish here, but we not more info, better pics, or a video, if possible.

As for pellets being really bad, that's not true at all. There are some very bad pellets, but there are also some really good ones.

Malachite green is a potent treatment, and not one that I am a fan of, because it can/will harm the fish, and possibly harm the human using it as well. I think we have better choices out there.

Oh don't worry, I don't feel attacked or something :).

First of all, I have to apologize because my response has been totally skewed. In Spain we don't have many products as you do in the US, and even in Amazon you can't find them. So about pellets, I agree with you that there are few which are very high quality, but in here they are average and the only brand I'd trust are Sera or JBL (this last one I don't remember whether that's the name or not mm).

Regarding the treatment, yes it is very aggressive. But I didn't want it to be taken as the only and perfect solution. I expected some debate here, but it seems that only you got in. About treatments the same story again. You can't find a very wide range.

So I am sorry that I haven't thought of all the possibilities, however is good that more people comment about it. Nevertheless you are very polite and I'd never take it in a bad way or something.

Hi Rhea,

Oh don't worry, I don't feel attacked or something :).

First of all, I have to apologize because my response has been totally skewed. In Spain we don't have many products as you do in the US, and even in Amazon you can't find them. So about pellets, I agree with you that there are few which are very high quality, but in here they are average and the only brand I'd trust are Sera or JBL (this last one I don't remember whether that's the name or not mm).

Regarding the treatment, yes it is very aggressive. But I didn't want it to be taken as the only and perfect solution. I expected some debate here, but it seems that only you got in. About treatments the same story again. You can't find a very wide range.

So I am sorry that I haven't thought of all the possibilities, however is good that more people comment about it. Nevertheless you are very polite and I'd never take it in a bad way or something.

Hi Rhea,

Thank you for your wonderful response back. I wrote what I did as a platform for discussion. I realize that we in the US have so many more choices (too many) in terms of treatment as compared to other places, but I think that even elsewhere, we don't have to go to things like formalin and malachite green as first choices, perhaps. I actually don't know much of what is and what is not available in Spain, and would love to discuss with you more, either in a PM or in a new thread, so that we don't derail this one. :)

I do see it, but I don't think that you have a rampant infection in your tank. What I would guess is happening is either water quality issues and/or maintenance issues. Do you have gravel or bare bottom tank? Does your fish brush his/her fins on the tank bottom?

uhm.... i got a question.... is that a toy i see inside the tank? if so my i highly suggest getting it out as it could be the problem...certain paints a plastic are harmful.